• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Small bore rotary valve trumpets.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bassguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Small bore rotary valve trumpets. Reply with quote

I've noticed that German style trumpets come in a great variety of options, from 10.5mm bores to 12mm.

Do the small bore (say, 11mm or .433") instruments tend to sound rather small, but with a warm, rich cornet like tone?
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Small bore rotary valve trumpets. Reply with quote

bassguy wrote:
I've noticed that German style trumpets come in a great variety of options, from 10.5mm bores to 12mm.

Do the small bore (say, 11mm or .433") instruments tend to sound rather small, but with a warm, rich cornet like tone?

Quite the opposite. The rotary valve trumpet has more cylindrical tubing than the piston valve equivalent and therefore will sound brighter. However the mouthpiece setup is different. The mouthpieces usually have a bowl shape cup and a larger backbore and throat than the mouthpiece usually used on a piston trumpet. I believe the smaller bore makes the rotary trumpet also contributes to a brighter sound at higher dynamics. Most cornets especially those played in brass bands have large bores around 468-472".
bassguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Small bore rotary valve trumpets. Reply with quote

trumpet56 wrote:
bassguy wrote:

Quite the opposite. The rotary valve trumpet has more cylindrical tubing than the piston valve equivalent and therefore will sound brighter. However the mouthpiece setup is different. The mouthpieces usually have a bowl shape cup and a larger backbore and throat than the mouthpiece usually used on a piston trumpet. I believe the smaller bore makes the rotary trumpet also contributes to a brighter sound at higher dynamics. Most cornets especially those played in brass bands have large bores around 468-472".

Thanx!!! I always thought starting out small & ending wide makes the sound smoother, darker & a bit fluffy, as with a smaller bore flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: