• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How to buy from MK drawing?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: How to buy from MK drawing? Reply with quote

so I have been visiting the MK drawing website and just can not figure out how to buy something from them. Its like its not even mentioned anywhere. Do you have to go the dealer list and contact a dealer?
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: How to buy from MK drawing? Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:
so I have been visiting the MK drawing website and just can not figure out how to buy something from them. Its like its not even mentioned anywhere. Do you have to go the dealer list and contact a dealer?

Contact them directly. I just got a new slide for my Bach 37; made my 37 year old Bach play better than ever!

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: How to buy from MK drawing? Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
lipshurt wrote:

Contact them directly. I just got a new slide for my Bach 37; made my 37 year old Bach play better than ever!

AL

Which slide did you get? I'm contemplating a slide for my recently acquired Strad 37.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: How to buy from MK drawing? Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:

Did you try the Online store link? It does explain how to purchase.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: How to buy from MK drawing? Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
dr_trumpet wrote:
lipshurt wrote:

AL

Which slide did you get? I'm contemplating a slide for my recently acquired Strad 37.

I got a bronze fully rounded large bore tuning slide with no brace. Amato water key. Mike made it for me, then sent it to trial. Once I played (and loved it), I sent it back and they got it gold plated to match the horn it was going on. I have a similar slide on my large bore 72 bell Bach Strad, and it has been tremendous.

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Hugh Anderson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the partly rounded one and I like it, it does what it says. The horn sounds different from my end, though, and that took getting used to.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How to buy from MK drawing? Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
I got a bronze fully rounded large bore tuning slide with no brace. Amato water key. Mike made it for me, then sent it to trial. Once I played (and loved it), I sent it back and they got it gold plated to match the horn it was going on. I have a similar slide on my large bore 72 bell Bach Strad, and it has been tremendous.

AL

I'm not sure that's quite the direction I want to go - I'll have to give them a call and see what they say based on what I'm looking for. It sounds like you've got a winner though!
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an MK slide on my old 37. For years I was unhappy with how it slotted funny on the A just above the staff, and I eventually just sort of got used to it.

Then I sent it off to a fairly well known brass tech 5 or 6 years ago for some other work. He arrived at the same conclusion on his own about the A being weird. Said he'd try and figure out why, etc.

A short while later, he told me that he had tried tuning slides from about a dozen other Bach's he had in the shop, and they *all* played better than the one that was on my horn. Only problem was, he couldn't find the root cause of the problem with the original one on my horn. It looked like it was okay, just played badly.

Long story short, he suggested an MK slide replacement, and sure enough, it made a huge difference in the way the horn played. I don't know the exact model off-hand, but it is a regular looking D-slide, the only visible difference is a 'MK' stamped into the brass the lower leg bracing.
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will also suggest going with calling. I have talked with Mike, the owner of MK, on numerous occasions and have slides for my Bach LT and my 8310Z. He does great work and will give you a direction to go with what you want for the horn.

Pete
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably best to call.

I established contact via email, and was going to buy a sterling silver tuning slide. The subsequent emails (4 or 5) went unanswered. The content of which being "I will order whichever part you think best fits my needs" and "let me know how, and how much to pay you and I will do so". Followed by "did you get my email? please advise" etc.... It is unlikely that my email thread was somehow caught by a spam filter, as I say, we had established contact with one another - I tried different emails too. Oh well. Some companies - Jim New springs to mind - are superb at communications. Others less so. Rather than replace the tuning slide I waited a year and replaced the horn

Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i sent them a couple of messages through the contact us page. Nothing yet. I would call on the phone, but then i wonder how they would take to get around to shipping it. That seems a lot harder than answering an email.

Id get a blackburn but it appears that they dont have large bore bach Bb slides. That is kind of odd too.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They replied quickly to me a few months ago when I e-contacted them, but I am still surprised at how many business still don't take email seriously as a form of contact. They seem to be thinking, "if someone really wants something they will do the real thing, they will call". I found that recently from Edwards for example, zilch on emails but instant action with a call.

I am the opposite, I have a message on my answering machine at work saying I'm not going to listen to their message and they should email me if they want to hear back.
BeccaAtMKDrawing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: M/K Drawing - Reply to Lipshurt Reply with quote

Hi Doug,

You sent us a message via the contact form on 10/4. We sent you a reply on 10/5 (the same day you posted this) and we then received no answer. We followed up with you on 10/10 and you said you were thinking about it.

To my knowledge, we have replied to every message you have sent us.

We have been very busy lately, busier than ever for this time of year, but we did still get back to you. I apologize it was not a same day response.
BeccaAtMKDrawing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Replies Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'd like to personally apologize to anyone who did not get a response from us. To my knowledge, I have responded to every email we have gotten since I took over handling emails in May. We are so lucky that we are this busy and it is because of all of you! We have really tried to make an effort to get back to every single one of you. We appreciate your business and the great support you have given us through out the years!

Thank you,

Becca
M/K Drawing
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note - Becca sent me an email to try and chase up the issues we had with communication. I understand that emails were maybe not handled the best in the past, as well as the web contact form having problems.

She was very polite, courteous, and gave me direct email addresses for her and Mike. This level of care is to be commended, and if the need arises I may have them make me a sterling silver slide for my S3.

When companies do good, it needs recognised. My previous post still stands, and has now been fully addressed to my satisfaction.

Best of luck, all at MK, your stuff looks superb.

Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
Sturmbill
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad that on this board people post positives when they are deserved. I will go on record in saying that my dealings with M/K have all been very positive; good communication, great products.

Earlier this week I sent an email to them asking a question, seeking advice, and within 12 hours Becca had replied. No, it wasn't instantaneous, but these folks are operating a business, and the amount of messages to a popular company must be overwhelming.

Me, I am more than happy with my dealings with the crew at M/K Drawing!
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Mike made me a single-radius bronze slide for on 738 a few years ago. There was a glitch with the delivery (UPS tried to deliver it to my office on a Saturday, and when the office was closed, they sent it back), Mike was on top of everything. And the slide is GREAT. I recommend them strongly. And their facebook page is often funny.
Sustained note
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: Got my MK Drawing Sterling Silver tuning slide - it's great! Reply with quote

Got my MK Drawing Sterling Silver tuning slide for my Schilke B1.
Tried playing the B1 as is first, then changed over to the Sterling silver slide.
I immediately noticed a marked improvement in the tone, when playing with the Sterling Silver one: I clearly heard more sparkle, depth and volume in the tone. Also very clear, ringing articulations and the upper register felt free.
I noticed it is a little more square than the Schilke tuning slide.
I am very happy I got it. Kudos to Mike Bulow the owner. A very small transaction for him yet he took the time to talk to me on the phone and was very nice. Very quick shipping.

Here it is with the old slide above it:

https://scontent-frx5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/23559388_10155733312103257_1222579208158647907_n.jpg?oh=e87a8814360408274dd4720e8781a277&oe=5AAF9F69

Giv'at Shmuel
Israel

Trumpet: Schilke B1 (2005)
Mouthpiece: Schilke Soloiste MG1
(Marc Geujon) gold plated
----------------

Keep a sense of humor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: