• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Anyone know how Arve Henriksen gets his sound?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raggerty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:54 am    Post subject: Anyone know how Arve Henriksen gets his sound? Reply with quote

I have never heard a trumpet sound like this before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrfW4CJrvDM
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like a small rag stuck in the bell?

Ok ok ok, I know, it’s a deliberate tone quality for a specific, expressive use, just not my cup ‘o tea.

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. Some of it is using half-valve technique, but other times he gets that weird sound without using half-valves. I wonder if it's either (1) sound effect processing, (2) a mute way down inside the bell, or (3) some sort of gizmo stuck into the backbore of his mouthpiece, like a piece of metal shim-stock or something. I'm curious to find out too. I don't aspire to play this music, but I think it sounds cool. Thanks for sharing this video.
Piccolo Stomvi
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He’s playing really close to the mic. So he could be playing extremely soft and airy. But sometimes it sounds like he’s singing. So it could be a combination of things.

His contract info should be findable. If you reach out to him let us know what he says.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOlds wrote:
He’s playing really close to the mic. So he could be playing extremely soft and airy. But sometimes it sounds like he’s singing. So it could be a combination of things.

His contract info should be findable. If you reach out to him let us know what he says.

Ive heard rabbis blow shofur horns and get similar effects.

The man may be keeping his water key open too. At times he appears to sound like he's lipping notes completely off their slots. Like playing a second line A natural in the open position.

But however he's doing it I intuitively think that he's got one helluva pair of chops. Id guess that he can blow some dandy high notes.

Back when I was coached by one of Roy Stevens students he showed me not only the "Palm Practice method" but the playing of complete major scales without changing valves. My friend was damned good at this too. Obviously the D, F, A and B natural cant slot. However with practice and some real "chops of steel"? It is possible to not only play a C scale for 4 octaves. That and using any valve changes. But with lotsa work?

You can almost make the unslotted notes sound pretty believeable. Its kinda like blowing pedal tones with the more difficult fingerings. However its actually much harder to do than that.

Pedals I'll do mostly to relax. Get rid of stiffness from the day before. But playing notes with the wrong fingerings is great exercise. This technique of playing any note open is also damned handy when blowing jazz ad lib solos. Because when you find yourself stuck on a "red note"? You've got the capacity to pull it up by lip alone for an astonishing jazz sound.

Trombonists without F attachments almost must learn to lip notes well off their partials. As while a trumpet can easily trill a low B natural to C# just the mere whole step above?

Instead that same trill on trombone requires an impossibly fast, lomg movement of the slide.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Arve. I like to put it on in my car driving with other trumpet players..they usually don't even know it's a trumpet! To me, the sounds he's getting comes from years in a practice room experimenting. I would think you'd have to start studying with him personally to learn a lot of those techniques. One of my most favorite albums of his is 'Sakuteiki'.

Link

Www.LexSamu.com
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Scandavian movie 'Kitchen Stories' Great, quirky flick and you can hear Arve on the soundtrack. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0323872/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Www.LexSamu.com
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a gizmo called a Whisper Penny that creates an airy sound. Besides half-valving he sounds like he's trying to imitate one. Or maybe using one in conjunction with embouchure manipulation.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had any success with the Whisper-Penny - both the trumpet and flugel models. Obviously, according to the videos on the site, some people can make it work. I do much better with a washer super-glued into a deep flugel piece for an airy sound. I still haven't perfected a way to get airiness into a trumpet sound. The closest I have come is using a two piece mouthpiece and partially unscrewing the backbore to create 'leaks' - but I would still like to get a lot more air into the sound. All the best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ljazztrm wrote:
I never had any success with the Whisper-Penny - both the trumpet and flugel models.

To clarify, I wasn't expressing positivity for the Whisper Penny, just what the guy sounds like. Personally I think they're a silly gimmick. I'd never heard of Henriksen before - his sound as presented here doesn't do a thing for me. But I recognize some may like it.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whod'a thunk it the japanese flute only it's a trumpet. part of what he's doing is breathiness. i sometimes push extra air into the flugel and get a breathy jazz tone.
with this sort of thing it's like louis said, you have two types of music good and bad. whatever tone you achieve, and this stuff is noteworthy for its alternative sound, it had better be pleasing and sell.
Mike L
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gather that he listened a lot to japanese Shakuhachi players for inspiration (and my guess also, Jon Hassell) and slowly developed that sound concept. I think this clip is pretty impressive when he plays a piccolo trumpet at the end of the interview:

Link

Cheers /M

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTvswIFrRNnr-Cn8HuRzdpA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: