• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A Pelican-style double case on wheels! The Wonderful 5622

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zenith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: A Pelican-style double case on wheels! The Wonderful 5622 Reply with quote

Hi all,

Recently I wanna get myself a new double case that offers great protection and mobility (read: with wheels). A little search yielded some usual suspects, namely the Pelican 1510, Rawbrass 100 series etc.

However, after measuring my trumpets (Adams A10 and C1), I think the 1510 is too short for a peace of mind personally (A10's length is around 490mm and 1510's internal length is 502mm, which leaves only 6mm or so foam on each end). As for Rawbrass case, it's great but outside my budget and that's the end of it . So what did I end up? A little walk in my local camera shops led me to the "Wonderful safety equipment case" model 5622. It is very much similar to Pelican flight cases, but longer in length and cheaper in price.

It's made up of ABS plastic instead of PP plastic like Pelican so it is a more hard case with more impact strength and similar tensile strength. It also looks a little more shiny in comparison.

It also has the automatic pressure equalization valve so the case can be opened with no difficulty under different environment.

The pick and pluck foam supplied was pretty good. Density is high enough that it won't deform with the trumpet just sitting on there by itself, but will comply when pressure is exerted. The square was 1cm x 1cm so I could achieve quite a close fit. Here is how I configured the foam. I also added back some foam in the lower part of the cavity so that the first and third slides could be supported and freed the valve casing from taking on all the weight.

Ample foam (~1 inch) was left on the bell and leadpipe end which really gave me a peace of mind.

I have been using the case extensively over the past week after I got it. The wheels were good and smooth. The case did make some noise on concrete or brick road when it is rolling on the uneven surface, but it is absolutely silent inside rehearsal or concert venue where the road surface is more often than no smooth and flat.

Personally I am not flying with my trumpets but this case was claimed to be good for carry-on. BUT each airline does have their own restrictions and requirements regarding size and weight so I'd check before I attempt to carry them on.

All in all, great case!

Zenith
Dan in Sydney
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm....it looks like a great case and certainly an alternative for Raw Brass and Pelican, however I found the specs on the web-site and at 600mm long it would be unacceptable as a carry-on for just about every airline. The max is usually 560mm. And it weighs 7.5 kilos empty. Some airlines have a weight limit of 7 kg in total.
I think I'll stick to my Brass Bags triple....
Bach Artist and Clinician, Soloist
http://www.conn-selmer.com/en-us/artist-information/centerstage/artist-roster/daniel-mendelow/
Zenith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have checked my local airlines and this case can't be carried-on if it gets measured and weighed. It is a few cm too long in both length and width, and exceeds the 7kg limit. Fortunately I didn't intent it to be a flight case because I don't really fly with my trumpets at all.

However, I have read reviews in Mainland China that people could carry this case on (for other purposes than housing trumpets) just fine for some reasons. Probably the airlines there are more lenient? I don't know.

Anyhow, as a case for the road, it's pretty dare good and that's all I needed in the first place.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much?

what does the other pelican case cost so we can see the price diiference
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: