• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Coming Back! What Horn?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MDHorn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, again for all the replies: lots to consider!

Does anyone have any thoughts, experiences and/or opinions, as an owner on teacher, with the following horn:

John Packer JP251SWS Trumpet? I saw one online for $399.00
'?? Couesnon Flugelhorn
MDHorn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Coming Back! What Horn? Reply with quote

Does anyone have any thoughts, experiences and/or opinions, as an owner or as a teacher, with the following horns:

Conn 1050B
Bach TR300
Bach Liberty
Getzen 300
Holton 601 - 602

Also, reasonable price range (US $)

Thanks,

MDHorn
'?? Couesnon Flugelhorn
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Coming Back! What Horn? Reply with quote

MDHorn wrote:

Does anyone have any thoughts, experiences and/or opinions, as an owner or as a teacher, with the following horns:

Conn 1050B
Bach TR300
Bach Liberty
Getzen 300
Holton 601 - 602

Thanks,

MDHorn

The Getzen 300 is one of the best student line trumpets available. The TR300 is a workhorse, and just fine. Avoid mainland Chinese instruments, no matter what name is on the bell. Take lessons and use whatever method book your teacher recommends, as already suggested by others. If the horn frustrates you, put it down and do something else - practice/play w/a good attitude - it's supposed to be fun, no?
Good Luck!
https://yourbrass.com/
Dr. Manhattan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Come Back! What Horn? Reply with quote

Hello and welcome back to playing again!
I was and still am a comeback player after a little over 20 years off.
I would send your current horn to a reputable brass repairman instead of paying a chunk of dough on another horn. Those old horns have great personalities!!! Another reason to keep using your cornet is that you will complement your lead player.

I do recommend getting a teacher! With a good teacher you will progress faster.

Good Luck!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back! I skimmed the recommendations above and the advice about lessons is good. I came back after about 30 years away and have enjoyed it a lot.

I missed what type of church music you intend to play, but I'd like to suggest some trumpets to avoid, as you get started. There are a few designs that are designed to emphasize brilliance and what we call "cut" in the tone. Some of those would be the Holton's MF series, Benge's 2X & 6X-CG and Callicchio's 1S/2, which would also include Kanstul's 1502 and Adam's A5. These are great for pop and big band lead, but not too good for orchestra and hymns. Especially for a new comeback player.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As was stated above in your post, any of those trumpets you mentioned would be fine, will personally suggest the Getzen.

At one time I bought a LOT of trumpets (still have way too many) and the Getzen 300's that came through were all solid, dependable and most importantly, well playing instruments.

I can't suggest any method books, but will throw out one thing. Get some piano books of the type of music you like and want to play, and work on a couple of those songs every night. Just doing scales and etudes loses my attention pretty quickly, but actually finding a song that accomplishes the same goal makes practice a lot more fun.

After you have learned to play it as written, learn it in Bb, by adding two sharps and reading up a note. The ability to transpose from C to Bb is invaluable if you are playing in a church group, as you can play right from the hymnal if that is all you have.

An example of what I mean is one I use as a long tone study, 'Creep' by Radiohead, more the melody than the rhythms, just run everything together. At that point, the goal are the long tones and keeping the note centered, not so much playing the song. Beats the heck out of trying to wade through 4 pages in Arban's. Same with intervals, would much rather play 'Sir Duke' than some repetitive etude.

When I first started re-learning how to play, I found this site to be invaluable, tons of free stuff and some excellent advice.
http://abel.hive.no/ctg/

Best single bit of advice I ever got was take private lessons before you spend another penny on gear. There is no substitute to one on one instruction with someone who can guide you in the right direction.

Rest as much as you play, and have fun.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Coming Back! What Horn? Reply with quote

MDHorn wrote:

Conn 1050B
Bach TR300
Bach Liberty
Getzen 300
Holton 601 - 602

Thanks, MDHorn

I used, and still own and play, a Bach TR300H2. It has served me well and is a decent sounding horn for a student model. I do find it lacking when it comes to playing above the staff, but it has excellent valves and is made in the USA . I paid $749 Canadian for mine new. It may be cheaper in the USA.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject: starting up again Reply with quote

I agree with people that have listed Getzen horns. If you played extensively when young you will probably want a pro level horn which will be more bucks but you won't necessarily be looking 6 months down the road as you progress for something that blows like a pro level horn. I recently bought a pro level horn on here That Bill Pfund has made. He is a professor emeritus out of Northern Colorado. I found one without very much use at all for $550 bucks and it plays wonderfully. I just restarted, too, so the horn is great and I am not, go figure. I believe alot in Getzen horns as being built sturdily. They have several levels 300-Capri-700- and Eterna that are all good to play. I just wish you the best taking it up again. Get a teacher if you want. That might be usefull for ya.
MDHorn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Coming Back! What Horn? Reply with quote

Hello, all:

Well, I did it. Found a vintage Olds Ambassador for $56.00. It ain't pretty, but the price was not bad for the work it needs. My local technician sees potential and I trust him since he's a local working/performing pro trumpet player. He has taught me to look for diamonds in the rough and go for sound over good looks (within reason, of course!) He's working on it now and maybe I'll post a couple of before and after pictures. (Don't worry - no before and after audio tracks of me playing!)

Thank you all for the help!!!

MDHorn
'?? Couesnon Flugelhorn

Last edited by MDHorn on Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
I have a Sonare TRC 800 that I'm looking to sell for $1000. This trumpet is German made in collaboration with Blackburn Trumpets with the following features:

Genuine Blackburn lead pipe (designed specifically for this horn, it’s like a #19-348 with a slightly different venturi)
Medium Large Bore (.459)
Patented Micro Lok valve alignment system
4.78” hand-hammered, cryogenically treated bell, designed for optimal projection

This trumpet has a focused easy blow that is even and consistent throughout the horn, and has secure slotting with great intonation - you'd probably like it a lot.

I work on Andrews AFB, so we could probably hook up a time for you to give it a whirl - with you being at Fort Washington, you aren't that far away.

The late great Lew Soloff played and endorsed this horn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: