• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha Hagstrom and Curry 3BC and 3B mouthieces--and Bach 1c

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kind of fun watching all the head scratching. John actually talked to Mark about the mouthpieces. Now there's a chance to gain understanding. I so wish I could go to the shop and ask a bunch of questions.

Here is my list of mouthpieces where the drop off from rim to cup causes me problems:

Curry B
CGP from Kanstul or Marcinkiewicz
Curry VC

When I first start to play all is good and they are comfy with a great sound. Then the sound gets hard to push out. Reading on the GR site I could see the explanation of increasing the alpha angle can cause a shutting off of vibration. Makes sense to me. Switching to the BC fixes the problem.

I've had the Curry line in 3, 7, 8.5 and even 10.5 over time. All great mouthpieces and really inexpensive to experiment with. I've had all those for trumpet, cornet and flugelhorn. Plus Mark has made custom combinations for me and even those were really just well made and exactly what I wanted.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard,

I have a similar issue with the CGP mouthpiece and for me it's due to not the inside of the rim or alpha angle but the skeletonized antique-cornet style blank. My lips sort of wrap around that thin outer rim and I have troubles with air attacks with it - my lips feel impeded from vibrating. I had thought it was due to the diameter being too small for me, but then when I moved to the Reeves 43 rim and liked it, and was able to see a digital scan comparison I was surprised to see that the CGP rim really isn't small - it's almost the same inner diameter as a Bach 3C and almost exactly the same as a Reeves 43 rim. Then, I really found out that the cause of the problem was the CG rim's blank shape when I had James New make me a mouthpiece with the CG Personal's diameter and rim contour, but made with a Bach style mouthpiece blank - and low and behold, the articulation (airball) problem largely disappeared. For me, the more blocky outer shape of a Bach style (or other similar style) rim works much better for me than the old cornet style rim outer shape.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I had James New make me a mouthpiece with the CG Personal's diameter and rim contour, but made with a Bach style mouthpiece blank - and low and behold, the articulation (airball) problem largely disappeared. For me, the more blocky outer shape of a Bach style (or other similar style) rim works much better for me than the old cornet style rim outer shape.

That is so cool that a change like that can be done these days. I've thought about the opposite in having other mouthpieces skeletonized to reduce the mass. All my playing now is on old cornet mouthpieces with much less mass in the rim and cup. It feels like I need so much less energy to get the sound started. So for a trumpet mouthpiece like the CGP, adding a little something to the rim to relieve the angle of rim to cup might be the answer for me. I love how free blowing the CGP line is. I even had Marcinkiewicz make me a CGP with an 18 throat.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
The_Kitchen_Sink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it looks like mouthpiece express is the least expensive place to buy the Curry pieces. Does that sound right? I've never purchased through them before.
1982-83 Selmer C700 ML C
1985-86 Getzen Eterna Picc
1947-ish Reynolds "Professional" Cornet
1975-ish Yamaha 631 Flugelhorn
Mark Curry 5 Rims
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Kitchen_Sink wrote:
So, it looks like mouthpiece express is the least expensive place to buy the Curry pieces. Does that sound right? I've never purchased through them before.

WWBW also is pretty inexpensive, but I'm not sure they stock all the models (though they'll order any of them at no additional cost).
The_Kitchen_Sink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I'll check them out, too.

I'm still having trouble deciding now between the 3b and the 5b. Spending Thursday, Friday, and yesterday doing my routine and whatnot with my Bach 5c, and playing today's gig with my Bach 5c (and a bit of my Bach 7-no-letter) on my Bb and Hagstrom on my C, and having a MUCH better time jumping between the two horns compared to when I used the Bach 1c on the Bb. Just playing on basically one rim size felt nice. That makes me think just buying a Curry 5b to start with would be smart.

(On a side note, I forgot how much I like the Bach 7-no-letter. It makes me want to try the Bach 3-no-letter just for fun.)
1982-83 Selmer C700 ML C
Mark Curry 5 Rims
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I frequently play a Bach 3 (no letter) on cornet. It's a nice mouthpiece.
The_Kitchen_Sink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wwbw didn't have either size, but Dillon looks less expensive than mouthpiece express. I think I'll go with Dillon.
1982-83 Selmer C700 ML C
Mark Curry 5 Rims
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Kitchen_Sink wrote:
Wwbw didn't have either size, but Dillon looks less expensive than mouthpiece express. I think I'll go with Dillon.

Dillon Music has much better customer service as well.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Curry B cup because, as Curry himself says "the B cup has more chop room in the cup " and i have moderate lip intrusion. The best fit, for me, is the B cup on Curry 5 rim (tried them all, surprisingly the least attractive on paper, the 5, was the more efficient for my lips vibration) on a Curry heavy blank. The downside was the sound: gorgeous but too dark to be played in various settings. So Mark Curry that, believe me, is a real mouthpiece genius made for me a custom 5B with a tighter throat and different backbore on a heavy blank cut for sleeves. I can play all night long on this mouthpiece and never bottom out! I can even play lead on this piece, the sound i soooo powerful even if not "laser-killing" as your usual lead piece, but just plain beautiful and brilliant with a hint of "warmth".
Ask Curry, invest some money and experiment with various settings, you will find "the one".
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
The_Kitchen_Sink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'll find out later this week how I like the Curry B cup. I'm unsure how it'll take to ship from Dillon Music, but I'm excited to get started with it. Hopefully I'll feel gig-ready with it within about week so I can really see how I like it.

My to-try list got longer from this post, but that's fine. Thanks for the help, everyone!
1982-83 Selmer C700 ML C
Mark Curry 5 Rims
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find it easiest to deal with Osmun Music for Curry pieces lately. He's very hard to reach directly anymore, but they get regular (at least weekly, perhaps more) shipments from him and can turn an order around quite quickly. I think they're the preferred outlet for his stuff now, especially if you want any custom tweaks done.

MPC Express sometimes takes forever to fill an order, whereas if they don't have it in stock at Osmun, they usually will a few days later.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning Mouthpiece Express, they've always been prompt for me. That said, the last mouthpiece I ordered from them was in 2003 (which if nothing else, points out the fact that they've been around for a while).
The_Kitchen_Sink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think both Dillon and Osmun look great. Dillon had a 5b in stock, had the lowest base price, and shipping was free. I put in the order late last night, and I've already gotten an email about it shipping out today. I like that. Osmun's base price is slightly higher than Dillon's, and they didn't have as many size options available today--but their custom work has great prices. Between the two companies, I think they have everything covered.

Hopefully I like this mouthpiece enough (and my sound works with it well enough initially for performance) to spend six or so months getting to know it. It's rim size should be close enough to the Hagstrom that, I'm hoping, jumping between the two will not be any problem at all.
1982-83 Selmer C700 ML C
Mark Curry 5 Rims

Last edited by The_Kitchen_Sink on Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that Osmun doesn't (or didn't) always list every size available from Mark. that said, if you call them up (Tim Cote seems to be the main guy doing mouthpiece orders) you can get anything you want. Also had great luck with Dillon's over the years too.

The main reason I mention is Osmun is they seem to have picked up the slack for Mark so he doesn't have to respond to custom orders directly anymore, I think he's just too busy to keep up on his own.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John

I'd always presumed that Mark Curry scaled the Bach 1B cup down for his smaller diameter BC cups, but if I understand correctly this is not the case. Is this because scaling the diameter also corresponding scales down the cup depth and volume?

Many thanks

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
The_Kitchen_Sink

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Curry 5b arrived today. It's a nice piece.

However, my Bach 5c must be a smaller 5c because the Curry 5b felt huge in comparison.

I dont really want to switch from my Hagstrom. Maybe I need to try a Bach 7b. I'm fine with my 7, 7a, and 7c. None of them are quite right, though.

Thoughts on a Bach 7b?
1982-83 Selmer C700 ML C
Mark Curry 5 Rims

Last edited by The_Kitchen_Sink on Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a mouthpiece that I haven't played in some time and was quite an amazing piece. The Flip Oakes XT in the 7 size. There is nothing like it anywhere and before you react to the bore size, I will say there is something about it that makes it very easy to play. And the sound might be what you want. Call Flip and ask him about your quest. Oh, and the bore size is an 11 drill.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
The_Kitchen_Sink

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard, that sounds pretty cool.
1982-83 Selmer C700 ML C
Mark Curry 5 Rims
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
Hi John

I'd always presumed that Mark Curry scaled the Bach 1B cup down for his smaller diameter BC cups, but if I understand correctly this is not the case. Is this because scaling the diameter also corresponding scales down the cup depth and volume?

Many thanks

Take care

Lou

Disclaimer: What I am about to write is my own opinion. I have not talked with Mark specifically about the exact way he matches the 1B underpart area to the different diameter versions of his mouthpieces to create the various BC models.

I believe Mark does scale the inner diameter of the 1B cup shape to match with the various smaller diameter rim models (such as the 3BC, 5BC etc.) but retains the overall depth and as much of the overall shape of the 1B cup as is possible.

In the case of the Mark's 3BC not much scaling is needed, because at the point of juncture between the Mt Vernon 3C rim and the 1B cup, the diameters are nearly the same (at this point the 1B cup is still getting bigger as it heads up toward the rim at a faster rate than the MV3C cup is getting bigger - hence by the time the cup reaches the rim edge on a normal 1B the mouthpiece is significantly bigger in terms of cup diameter than a Mt Vernon 3C.

If the above is confusing (it's confusing to me!), take a look at this scan and notice the spot where the diameter of the Mt Vernon 3C's cup (red) almost meets the diameter of the 1B's cup (green). Hardly any scaling is needed at that point.

https://s25.postimg.org/5ueps75in/Bach_MV3_C_red_vs_Bach_1_B_green.jpg
Bach MV3C (red) vs Bach 1B (green)

Again, this is how I think Mark does it, based on comparisons between my 1B underpart and my own Curry 3BC mouthpiece, and also I base this on my knowledge of how James R. New blends different rims and underparts when using the digital CNC equipment (knowledge that James shared with me).

Cheers,

John

Last edited by John Mohan on Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: