• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha Hagstrom and Curry 3BC and 3B mouthieces--and Bach 1c

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Kitchen_Sink

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a bit more practicing:

The Curry 5b is the best thing I have ever tried in my Olds Studio. I love it. It may be a bit too dark for general use and my gigs with my Bach 37.
1982-83 Selmer C700 ML C
1985-86 Getzen Eterna Picc
1947-ish Reynolds "Professional" Cornet
1975-ish Yamaha 631 Flugelhorn
Mark Curry 5 Rims

Last edited by The_Kitchen_Sink on Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
The_Kitchen_Sink

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1982-83 Selmer C700 ML C
Mark Curry 5 Rims

Last edited by The_Kitchen_Sink on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
The_Kitchen_Sink

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
I think that's what the hagstrom is, too, but with a smaller rim.
The Yamaha may be too small for me, though, especially when I've played too much and my lips swell a bit.
1982-83 Selmer C700 ML C
Mark Curry 5 Rims

Last edited by The_Kitchen_Sink on Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
Hi John

I'd always presumed that Mark Curry scaled the Bach 1B cup down for his smaller diameter BC cups, but if I understand correctly this is not the case. Is this because scaling the diameter also corresponding scales down the cup depth and volume?

Many thanks

Take care

Lou

Disclaimer: What I am about to write is my own opinion. I have not talked with Mark specifically about the exact way he matches the 1B underpart area to the different diameter versions of his mouthpieces to create the various BC models.

I believe Mark does scale the inner diameter of the 1B cup shape to match with the various smaller diameter rim models (such as the 3BC, 5BC etc.) but retains the overall depth and as much of the overall shape of the 1B cup as is possible.

In the case of the Mark's 3BC not much scaling is needed, because at the point of juncture between the Mt Vernon 3C rim and the 1B cup, the diameters are nearly the same (at this point the 1B cup is still getting bigger as it heads up toward the rim at a faster rate than the MV3C cup is getting bigger - hence by the time the cup reaches the rim edge on a normal 1B the mouthpiece is significantly bigger in terms of cup diameter than a Mt Vernon 3C.

If the above is confusing (it's confusing to me!), take a look at this scan and notice the spot where the diameter of the Mt Vernon 3C's cup (red) almost meets the diameter of the 1B's cup (green). Hardly any scaling is needed at that point.

https://s25.postimg.org/5ueps75in/Bach_MV3_C_red_vs_Bach_1_B_green.jpg
Bach MV3C (red) vs Bach 1B (green)

Again, this is how I think Mark does it, based on comparisons between my 1B underpart and my own Curry 3BC mouthpiece, and also I base this on my knowledge of how James R. New blends different rims and underparts when using the digital CNC equipment (knowledge that James shared with me).

Cheers,

John

Hi John

Very very interesting, thanks.

Thanks very much for posting this.

Best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
The_Kitchen_Sink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I barely made it though a performance today, but I didn't take the Curry as I haven't had enough time to practice with it.

When I got home I pulled out the Curry 5b, and everything felt much more fresh than using the Hagstrom on my C and Bach 7 rims on my Bb. I was able to put in a good little practice session.

With the 5b playing so well in my two favorite Bb horns, I'm going to just bite the bullet and order a Curry 5TC, Curry 5C, and Curry 5BC to go along with the new 5B. I'll make it work. At least the rims are nice and will match.

Thanks for the help! I'm excited to round out the collection, retire my other mouthpieces, and move on from trumpet mouthpiece safari-land.
1982-83 Selmer C700 ML C
Mark Curry 5 Rims
The_Kitchen_Sink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and now the four to eight week wait begins for back-ordered Curry mouthpieces. I'm sure they will be worth it.
1982-83 Selmer C700 ML C
Mark Curry 5 Rims
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Kitchen_Sink wrote:
...and now the four to eight week wait begins for back-ordered Curry mouthpieces. I'm sure they will be worth it.

Where does it take that long to fill?

Osmun has usually been able to get things for me, even with custom backbores, in about a week turnaround from Mark, which is essentially what it used to be back when he had time to deal with everyone directly.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a PM discussion with a member of this board whose opinion I respect a lot, I ordered a Curry 3BC today - the Curry 3C. has a brightness to it that I don't really want for the legit playing I do, so hopefully this gets me where I need to go.

The cool thing about Curry mouthpieces is that they are a wonderful bang for the buck - they seem to be very consistent, and given what some other mouthpieces cost, they are fairly inexpensive - barely more expensive than your typical Bach mouthpiece.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
The cool thing about Curry mouthpieces is that they are a wonderful bang for the buck - they seem to be very consistent, and given what some other mouthpieces cost, they are fairly inexpensive - barely more expensive than your typical Bach mouthpiece.

Which just means that they are priced reasonably. Unlike so many of the magic pixie dust brands.

I'm sorry, but a little hunk of plated brass is not worth $200, or $300, or ... there is no black magic inside them. In an era of digital scanners, there are no trade secrets, or 'unobtainium' design features. Only marketing BS and graft.

If not for the desperation of trumpet players to be able to buy their way out of a chop problem, they would likely sell for $14.95.
The_Kitchen_Sink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
The_Kitchen_Sink wrote:

Where does it take that long to fill?

Osmun has usually been able to get things for me, even with custom backbores, in about a week turnaround from Mark, which is essentially what it used to be back when he had time to deal with everyone directly.

I ordered the three pieces from Dillon to go with the Curry 5b they sent me last week.

The Curry 5C was in stock and is being shipped. The other two (a 5BC and 5TC) were not, and they said it will take four to eight weeks to get the mouthpieces from Curry.

Osmun does have those sizes in stock, so I guess I could cancel the remaining Dillon order to get the two remaining pieces from Osmun, but Osmun's prices for mouthpieces are higher--and they don't have free shipping like Dillon. I'll have a matching B and C cup to use and can get by fine with those.

My Yamaha Hagstrom mouthpiece has started feeling a bit tight and sounding more thin in the higher register on my MLC, but my Bach 1 with a 24 backbore still works just fine--as long as I don't absolutely have to play the C trumpet for too long. If I can get by playing only here and there on the C when that sound is required, I can just play everything else on the Bb using either the 5C or 5B. There is one chart I have to play in two weeks during the middle of a program, and I thought the TC cup would be great for it. Oh well. That tune will sound perfect on my flugelhorn.
1982-83 Selmer C700 ML C
Mark Curry 5 Rims
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Kitchen_Sink wrote:
I ordered the three pieces from Dillon to go with the Curry 5b they sent me last week.

The Curry 5C was in stock and is being shipped. The other two (a 5BC and 5TC) were not, and they said it will take four to eight weeks to get the mouthpieces from Curry.

Osmun does have those sizes in stock, so I guess I could cancel the remaining Dillon order to get the two remaining pieces from Osmun, but Osmun's prices for mouthpieces are higher--and they don't have free shipping like Dillon.

The pricing may be a little different, I don't know. I've dealt with both outfits several times and had good results with both.

My point is Osmun seems to be able to get a more direct connection with Mark and get orders filled almost immediately. Which of course only really matters if you need something right away, I suppose.

That wait time you were quoted seems ridiculous though, when you can normally get a customized piece the other way in around a week + shipping time. Perhaps there is a temporary delay, like Mark being out of pocket for a while? Dunno.
The_Kitchen_Sink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:

That wait time you were quoted seems ridiculous though, when you can normally get a customized piece the other way in around a week + shipping time. Perhaps there is a temporary delay, like Mark being out of pocket for a while? Dunno.

Hopefully it's not two months. If Osmun can get them in days, eight weeks would absolutely be ridiculous. We'll see. I'm optimistic.

I'm really curious how the BC plays in my Getzen MLC. Hopefully it's everything and a bag of chips. If it is brighter than it should be with that horn and me playing, I wonder what a Curry B cup with a bigger throat and bore would sound like. I'll have a C and B for regular use with my Bb. Maybe having a brighter and a slightly darker option with the same rim for my C isn't a bad idea, either. Hmmmmmmmmm.
1982-83 Selmer C700 ML C
Mark Curry 5 Rims
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
trickg wrote:

Which just means that they are priced reasonably. Unlike so many of the magic pixie dust brands.

I'm sorry, but a little hunk of plated brass is not worth $200, or $300, or ... there is no black magic inside them. In an era of digital scanners, there are no trade secrets, or 'unobtainium' design features. Only marketing BS and graft.

If not for the desperation of trumpet players to be able to buy their way out of a chop problem, they would likely sell for $14.95.

You've definitely got a point. I'm not sure if I'm spending money in an effort to chase diminishing returns or not. I got the 3BC today, and it's definitely a different sound. It's also not as easy to play, but I expected that. I suspect that I'll have an acclimation period like I have with any other mouthpiece switch, but fortunately because this one is so close to what I've already been using for a while, it won't take that long to acclimate.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
The_Kitchen_Sink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Curry 5c arrived today from Dillon Music, and I did a bit of side-by-side comparing it to my Bach 5c. They are very similar, but I feel like the Curry is more centered and even throughout my full range. Mids are similar, but highs and lows have something else present with the Curry. I like it and am looking forward to trying it in a big space.

My Curry 5b sounded a bit dead with my Bach 37 in an auditorium and church, but it really sounds great with my Olds Studio. The 5b will stay with the Olds.h

My 5bc and 5tc are still on back order. Hopefully I'll have them soon.
1982-83 Selmer C700 ML C
Mark Curry 5 Rims
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
Hi John

I'd always presumed that Mark Curry scaled the Bach 1B cup down for his smaller diameter BC cups, but if I understand correctly this is not the case. Is this because scaling the diameter also corresponding scales down the cup depth and volume?

Many thanks

Take care

Lou

Disclaimer: What I am about to write is my own opinion...

[Truncated to save space.]

...Cheers,

John

Hi John

Very very interesting, thanks.

Thanks very much for posting this.

Best wishes

Lou

You're welcome.
The_Kitchen_Sink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recieved a Curry 5bc, 5tc, and 5 Star in the mail today.

In my ML Getzen C, nothing has ever clicked as well as the 5bc. It will be the only mouthpiece I use in it. That seems to be a perfect combination. I love that horn, and now I love it even more.

My main piece with my Bach ML37 is a Curry 5c. I can brighten it a bit and easily darken it, but the 5 Star seems like a great piece when extra brightness is needed. Ill test it more next week in a proper setting. The 5tc is nothing like i imagined. I have a Curry 5b that I leave at work to use with my stay-at-work horns (an old Olds Studio and a Selmer C700) because it works well with both and as i need to use it. I thought the TC would be just a bit darker than the 5b, but it is instead something completely different. Playing loudly and above the staff in a small room really showcased the sound difference. The edge was gone. I almost felt like I was in a british brass band again for a brief moment. This is something for certain moods, specific moments in a select gigs, and probably replaying every cornet solo I've ever learned. If i had a gig of ballads or something where i had to be present while accompanying but never cut through, I'd seriously think about the Curry 5tc for the whole show. It won't replace my 5c as my main piece on my Bach, but it will see some good use in performance. It sits well with a tuner, and bending pitch isnt a problem, so I'll likely use it some this weekend.

That 5bc in my getzen c, though--I'd be practicing now just to hear it again if my wife and daughter weren't both asleep! I love it!
1982-83 Selmer C700 ML C
Mark Curry 5 Rims
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi The_Kitchen_Sink

You explain very well why the Curry 3TC. is my favourite of the Curry mouthpieces for cornet. I also have a 3BBC., but I personally much prefer the 3TC.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
trickg wrote:

+1, I like this.

That being said, I have some other brands of 3 widths besides Mark's and they are very good in their own way, @ $200 a copy! And still I have mods made to them. Nothing's perfect, and as you develop as a player, things change.
https://yourbrass.com/
The_Kitchen_Sink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Follow up Reply with quote

It hasn’t quite been two years, but here’s an update.

The mouthpiece hunt should be over, and it basically is. I have tried other pieces, but the Curry 5bc still fits my Getzen C better than anything else for my day-to-day needs, the Curry 5b still matches my Olds Studio Bb better than anything I’ve tried, and I still like using the Curry 5c as my main piece with my Bach 37. The 5* rarely gets played, just because I haven’t needed it, and the 5tc only gets used at those times I really just need to kill the higher overtones/brilliance. The 5b does that in my 37, but it’s almost overkill in that horn. A Curry 50M came with my piccolo, but I don’t like it now that I’ve played it some. My 5bc actually works better, but an old Bach Corp. 10.5c works much better—for me, at least. So much for sticking with a 5 rim with that one.

A few weeks ago I realized that the 5bc shines in my 37, and I’m tempted to use it for a month or so instead of the regular 5c to see what happens. The brilliance, flexibility, and improved clarity with the 5bc in the 37 compared to the 5c is significant. I wonder if there is something I could have done to a 5c to meet the two in the middle. Has anyone experimented with this?

I still can’t play a Bach 3c—and even borrowed one for about ten minutes today just to see if that had changed. It’s cozy, but everything suffers. I still love my stock Bach 1c and modified Bach 1-no letter, but I rarely, if ever, need them. My Hagstrom still gets a nice sound, but it feels tiny in comparison to my 5bc in my C trumpet. It just feels too narrow right now.

You guys were all really helpful in me finding stuff that I can use and grow with. Thanks, again!

-Brian
1982-83 Selmer C700 ML C
Mark Curry 5 Rims
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: