• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Should I keep my Bach 37

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sticking valves are almost invariably dirty valves and chambers, its the chambers that are almost always the problem because players clean the valves and think that is the problem, the dirt remains on the chamber walls and is never shifted, the player then concludes it must need a valve job because cleaning the valve didnt fix it.

The valve job will always fix the problem but why do it if you dont need that. I have never had a valve job on any instrument and players who handle my instruments are always astounded by my valves.

The valve wipes dirt and oil down onto the chamber wall on the downstroke and doesnt remove it on the upstroke, and there it sits, the oil then evaporates leaving a dirt buildup on the walls below the valve. Then when you depress the valve it sticks at the bottom on the crud left behind and slowly rises.

Clean the walls as well as the valve then oil and see if the problem remains. If it does, clean again and again and again. after cleaning 4 times oil 4 times play and oil, then see if the problem remains. A chem clean may be needed.

All of my instruments started with stuck or sticking valves, and after cleaning all without exception are problem free. It was always dirt that was the problem and nothing else.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ If you aren't scrubbing your valves off with a valve brush, and then swabbing them out with cheese cloth or similar, you're not really doing it right. I don't always swab out the valve casings, but I always scrub them out with my nylon bristled valve brush when I bathe my horns.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bflatman wrote:
Sticking valves are almost invariably dirty valves and chambers, its the chambers that are almost always the problem because players clean the valves and think that is the problem, the dirt remains on the chamber walls and is never shifted, the player then concludes it must need a valve job because cleaning the valve didnt fix it.

The valve job will always fix the problem but why do it if you dont need that. I have never had a valve job on any instrument and players who handle my instruments are always astounded by my valves.

The valve wipes dirt and oil down onto the chamber wall on the downstroke and doesnt remove it on the upstroke, and there it sits, the oil then evaporates leaving a dirt buildup on the walls below the valve. Then when you depress the valve it sticks at the bottom on the crud left behind and slowly rises.

Clean the walls as well as the valve then oil and see if the problem remains. If it does, clean again and again and again. after cleaning 4 times oil 4 times play and oil, then see if the problem remains. A chem clean may be needed.

All of my instruments started with stuck or sticking valves, and after cleaning all without exception are problem free. It was always dirt that was the problem and nothing else.

Hi Bflatman

Thanks very much, but I absolutely assure you that this is not dirt related. I have cleaned and cleaned this trumpet, absolutely everywhere, including the valve casings, tubes between the valves, and out of the valve casings and into all the tubing connecting to the tuning slides, on many occasions. I have had a H W Brass Saver snake absolutely everywhere. I am absolutely convinced that this is therefore not dirt related, unless there is possibly something build up on the valves that will not come off with two laps, an ultrasonic clean and all these multiple very good cleans.

Thanks very much anyhow.

Best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
^^ If you aren't scrubbing your valves off with a valve brush, and then swabbing them out with cheese cloth or similar, you're not really doing it right. I don't always swab out the valve casings, but I always scrub them out with my nylon bristled valve brush when I bathe my horns.

Hi trickg

Yes, I do have a nylon bristled valve brush in addition to the H W Brass Saver, and yes, this is what I have been using to clean my valve casings. I then swab them out with I suppose what equates to cheese cloth, i.e. a lint free cloth. When I mentioned the H W Brass Saver, I was talking about the tubes between the valves and to the slides.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
Hi trickg

Yes, I do have a nylon bristled valve brush in addition to the H W Brass Saver, and yes, this is what I have been using to clean my valve casings. I then swab them out with I suppose what equates to cheese cloth, i.e. a lint free cloth. When I mentioned the H W Brass Saver, I was talking about the tubes between the valves and to the slides.

All the best

Lou

Hey Lou - I wasn't suggesting that you personally weren't maintaining your horn properly. You've been around the block enough as a player to know the ins and outs of proper instrument cleaning and maintenance. That comment was just a generalized comment about how to make sure buildup gets scrubbed and swabbed off of valves and valve casings.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
Hi trickg

All the best

Lou

Hey Lou - I wasn't suggesting that you personally weren't maintaining your horn properly. You've been around the block enough as a player to know the ins and outs of proper instrument cleaning and maintenance. That comment was just a generalized comment about how to make sure buildup gets scrubbed and swabbed off of valves and valve casings.

Hi trickg

No worries, but thanks for the clarification.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bflatman wrote:

Effective but time consuming. (OCD) Or get an ustrasonic cleaning. (USC)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: