• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Should I keep my Bach 37

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
Regarding transopsition and alternative key trumpets. I was taught by old school players who had been students of Vacchiano, Voisin, members of the Philadelphia orchestra whose names escape me. As a freshman I started on the Sachse book and transposed everything on a Bb including down a step (Bb on a C) down a minor third (A on C) Even into the '60' and 70's there were a number of orchestral section players who rarely if ever used a C. They used Bb for everything. Other keyed trumpets are great for making difficult passages more secure.

Hi Ed

Thank you very much.

If you are not playing principal, I don't think a C is necessary unless you are playing professionally in a section that demands the timbre of a C and the homogeneity of all members playing the same instrument.

I play only in amateur orchestras and there are only two of us in the symphony orchestras, and three in the community light orchestra. I play 1st in the community light orchestra. In my regular symphony orchestra, I played predominantly 2nd last season and am playing predominantly 1st this season. No particular reason, the other player wondered if I'd like a go on 1st this time, and I said that I don't mind what I play, and he can choose. The same other player also plays in the other few times a year orchestra, and we'll probably alternate 1st and 2nd. We've either both played Bb or both C.

Practice transposition. The more you do it the easier it gets.

I'm pretty good at Bb to C and vice versa on the fly, also playing flute. As a child, I was the only flute in a marching band, and often had to transpose the 1st trumpet part, when there was no flute part. Alternatively, I've often played concert pitch parts on Bb. I'm therefore happy with transposing a tone either way whilst playing. I don't think I'd want to to do other transpositions whilst playing, although I'm happy to do them on paper.

To be honest however I'm not particularly interested in transposing. When it comes down to it, I do orchestral playing as part of my hobby of playing the trumpet, as I like classical music and the rehearsals dates and gigs fit in with my life style and other commitments, and I like the people and the atmosphere. At heart I am a brass band cornet player, but I love playing, so don't mind having a go at other things. I'd personally rather put the parts in MuseScore 2, than transpose on the day since I have the parts far enough in advance. Maybe this isn't learning anything, but I'm a 43 year old mum of a nine year old with learning difficulties and a four year old, rather than a student, and playing is my break from the daily routine.

Take care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, what are the possible problems that could be solved by lapping the valve? Although Will Spencer originally said that the compression of my valves is ok, owing to the age of the instrument, it has previously been suggested that valve wear may be the issue. Although I can see that lapping could deal with uneven valve wear, if a valve was overly worn, then I cannot see how taking more metal off could help.

Sometimes, a drop will cause the valve face to have a slight flat spot on it, and lapping can solve that issue with a mimimum of additional damage.

Hi Al

Thank you very much. Exactly what you describe above happened to the valve of my Bach 184ML cornet. It slightly hung on the upstroke, but righted itself over time.

Lapping a valve does take a slight amount of metal off in the process. Fine lapping compound is designed to be very minimally abrassive, but enough to solve issues of wear and dirt build-up.

Thanks very much for the clarification.

Additionally, valve casings can take a blow in the case that can cause just enough of a bend or torque that causes a protrusion of the most minimal nature, but enough to cause the valve to hang, sometimes so small that the horn has to first warm and expand (and the valve and valve casing expand at different rates, causing the dent, however minute, to rub and cause a hang in the valve movement). The third option is the minimal bend of a valve slide port on the vavle (usually again from a blow or a dent of the valve slide) that causes a slight torque where the valve slide enters the casing, causing the valve to hang.

Thanks very much for the above.

All of these should have been resolved through careful measurement before the valve was lapped, and if only minute, the valve casing or valve body should have been lapped back into round again.

Sadly this evaluation and careful measuring is what I can't seem to have done. Replying to emails would be nice.

That is why the valve stem might be an issue, as none of the above in the lapping process involves the stem. A slightly tweeked stem can cause a minute sideways depression of the valve, and that can cause a valve to stick.

Interesting, thanks. I think that it is a case of having a good look. When I bought my trumpet used from Leigh at Eclipse, I didn't check the valves when I play tested it, as he was in the middle of refinishing it. I selected it and arranged for it to be delivered by courier when ready. I was surprised when I received it to see that there were some small dents in the 2nd piston, but trusted Leigh and this valve did not cause any problem for years. An intermittent sticking of the 1st and 2nd valves on the upstroke gradually came on after around five years. After two lappings, both the 1st and 2nd valves continued to stick, the 2nd being a lot worse. I could feel a catching on the 2nd valve, and a band colleague, an antique clock restorer, offered to have a look at it, since it was unplayable as it was and he found the issue and solved the 2nd valve sticking. I don't believe he looked at the 1st valve. I'm not aware of my trumpet having any drops or knocks whilst I've owned it, but something caused the 2nd valve to start catching, so maybe something has happened.

All my best,

AL

All my best to you also, and thanks very much again for clarifying this further.

Best wishes

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fredo wrote:
Hi Lou, fix the valve issue and then cut all those tubes who are too long to play in C.

Hi fredo

Very good lol.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Transposing Reply with quote

Remember that in an orchestra you are almost never sight reading transpositions. In fact you should just about have your parts memorized so why not work from the Eb or F or H part?
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Transposing Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
Remember that in an orchestra you are almost never sight reading transpositions.

Hi Ed

I understand what you mean in a regular orchestra, but for these two or three orchestra gigs a year, we are sight reading. Admittedly I've had the parts in advance, and maybe it is a lack of dedication on my part, but the trumpet parts are not very interesting to practice on their own. I suppose I could play along to a recording on YouTube, but I'd rather wait and see how the conductor on the day is planning to take the pieces, with regards to tempo, pauses etc.

In fact you should just about have your parts memorized so why not work from the Eb or F or H part?

Thanks very much but parts memorized? Really? This is probably the case for a professional orchestra playing everyday. Our rehearsal schedule between September and Christmas has eight pieces (which we will continue playing through to our main concert at Easter), which we are alternating between during a Monday evening rehearsal. We do a pre-Christmas concert, and are going to play only Dvorak's ninth symphony. Since we are also rehearsing the other pieces, according to the rehearsal schedule, so far we have looked at the 1st movement three times, 2nd movement four times, and 3rd and 4th movements and twice. I'm nowhere near having it memorized.

I think it is a matter of time and priorities. I work on a good daily practice routine at home, and with my other commitments, home practice of pieces takes a back seat, and anytime I do spend on it, is more likely to be spent looking at brass band repertoire. We are playing the following in my brass band this season. Up to tempo, section R is pretty tricky, and I keep meaning to have a look at it:

http://www.justmusicuk.com/publications/details/JM32484 (there is an audio sample)

https://www.justmusicuk.com/media/pdf/32000/JM32484%20London%20Celebration.pdf?t=1508135998

Thanks very much anyhow.

Take care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll weigh in on this, as I had a 37 of the same vintage since new, and finally decided to sell it earlier this year.

From what you say about your playing, and your other horns, go ahead and sell it. A sticky valve is unreliable and frustrating, and a nearly 40 year old horn that's been played probably needs other work, too. Why spend the repair money on a horn you don't need?

I kept my Bach for a long time, even when I wasn't playing much, or at all, partly for sentimental reasons, and partly because it was a better horn than others I'd had. But it didn't have the sound I was looking for, and when I finally got a horn that did, eventually I decided I didn't need it anymore. A well known brass store bought it from me for a fair wholesale price, though they felt it needed work.

And if you ever decide you need a Model 37 Strad again, they're "a dime a dozen".
cdec

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to trade it for the trumpet you want (with some extra £ )
If you get a good offer, go for it.
The reason you ask this, is because deep inside you want a C horn.
Once you hae this, you will use it more often than you expected, just because you have it.

Go for it !
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou,

Keep it. It is paid for. It has earned its keep through the years with gigs. There are sometimes when that sound will be requested.

I have a friend who is the bandleader and lead trumpet in a semi-pro big band that I played with for several years on double bass. He commented that most of the section played Yamaha trumpets. So he played his Yamaha trumpet to keep the intonation consistencies.

By contrast, he has an anniversary Bach Strad, and prefers that when playing with any other ensemble due to its superlative intonation, response, and consistency of intonation with other brass instruments not including Yamaha.

I urge you to get the 1st valve sorted on your 37, and play both.

Postscript: If you don't get a C trumpet for the orchestra gig, don't tell anybody. Just do what my father did in 1959 subbing for summer call regional orchestra gigs: transpose up a step. Nobody will care.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, 4 pages into the thread....

Have you decided whether or not to keep the Strad 37?
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou,

I couldn't find those spare stems, not sure if I sold (or binned) them at some point, but I simply can't find them now.

Maybe (Albert, please correct me if this doesn't apply, but logically it makes sense) if Albert's point about it possibly being a valve-stem was the cause (or part of it) then you could experiment by switching the stems around and see whether that confirms or dismisses the possibility?
If you swap them (I'd write their original positions on them so you know) and the problem disappears from valve #1 then that might suggest that replacing the stem might sort the problem?
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
Lou,

I couldn't find those spare stems, not sure if I sold (or binned) them at some point, but I simply can't find them now.

Maybe (Albert, please correct me if this doesn't apply, but logically it makes sense) if Albert's point about it possibly being a valve-stem was the cause (or part of it) then you could experiment by switching the stems around and see whether that confirms or dismisses the possibility?
If you swap them (I'd write their original positions on them so you know) and the problem disappears from valve #1 then that might suggest that replacing the stem might sort the problem?

You've got it, and that's a great way to check as well. The stem of one of the other valves could work just fine and tell you if the problem is there.

Looking forward to hearing the results!

Al
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGinNJ wrote:
I'll weigh in on this, as I had a 37 of the same vintage since new, and finally decided to sell it earlier this year.

Hi BGinNJ

Thanks very much.

From what you say about your playing, and your other horns, go ahead and sell it. A sticky valve is unreliable and frustrating, and a nearly 40 year old horn that's been played probably needs other work, too. Why spend the repair money on a horn you don't need?

I fully appreciate what you are saying, but since it was refurbished just before I bought it, I don't think that it really does need any significant other work.

I kept my Bach for a long time, even when I wasn't playing much, or at all, partly for sentimental reasons, and partly because it was a better horn than others I'd had. But it didn't have the sound I was looking for, and when I finally got a horn that did, eventually I decided I didn't need it anymore. A well known brass store bought it from me for a fair wholesale price, though they felt it needed work.

I fully understand your reasons for selling yours. Thank you very much for sharing.

And if you ever decide you need a Model 37 Strad again, they're "a dime a dozen".

True. One additional thing putting me off selling minehowever, is that since my trumpet was in raw brass waiting to be replated, I asked Leigh at Eclipse for 24Ct Scratch gold plate.

At the time, it was £150 GBP ($197.67 US today) extra for 24Ct gold scratch plate rather than silver-plate. It doesn't look like Eclipse offer 24Ct gold plate,
only Silver Plate with 24K Gold Accents for an additional £200.

Andy Taylor says the following on his website:

Gold Plate. Very beautiful, but also very expensive. Gold plate prices can only be given at time of being done due to heavy fluctuations in the gold bullion market price. This in turn means that gold plate cannot be guaranteed (this holds for nearly all instrument manufacturers). Gold is often considered very hardwearing. This is only true if the gold plate is thick enough! More gold, higher cost. Just being honest.

I have no idea of the thickness of the gold plate on my trumpet, but it still looks like new after around ten years, so must be a decent thickness.

I have a feeling that last time I looked into it, it would cost around £600 (which is $790.70 USD today) for an equivalent finish, and surely this must be a factor if I was to sell my trumpet.

Thanks very much again.

Take care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdec wrote:
Try to trade it for the trumpet you want (with some extra £ )
If you get a good offer, go for it.
The reason you ask this, is because deep inside you want a C horn.
Once you hae this, you will use it more often than you expected, just because you have it.

Go for it !

Hi cdec

Thanks very much. I've come to a decision. Now I've dialled in the gap with sleeves, I feel that my Bach, apart from the valve, is playing at its best.

My husband runs a Jazz band, mainly playing American Songbook repertoire and Jazz/Latin standards. We tend to play each tune twice through. Since we take our big car for all the gear and park right outside, I think I'll take both trumpets next time, and alternate between them, to see if I do prefer my Bach for more commercial playing. If I do, I'll try to use it for a bit, and see if this valve beds in. If I find I prefer the Yamaha, I don't know, I'll have to decide whether I think it is worth my while to sell this trumpet.

Either way I've decided to save for a C.

Best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iiipopes wrote:
Lou,

Keep it. It is paid for. It has earned its keep through the years with gigs. There are sometimes when that sound will be requested.

Hi iiipopes

Thanks very much.

I have a friend who is the bandleader and lead trumpet in a semi-pro big band that I played with for several years on double bass. He commented that most of the section played Yamaha trumpets. So he played his Yamaha trumpet to keep the intonation consistencies.

Interesting, thanks.

By contrast, he has an anniversary Bach Strad, and prefers that when playing with any other ensemble due to its superlative intonation, response, and consistency of intonation with other brass instruments not including Yamaha.

I haven't played an anniversary Bach Strad, but out of my Bach 37 and Xeno II, I would say that the Xeno II has the noticeably better intonation. Regarding response, I would say the Xeno II definitely has a far more even response. I find this great for orchestral playing and other situations when I want a very clean even response and sound. I wonder whether the Xeno II is a little rigid, but I feel that some of this may be the valve springs. Although the valves are very good, the springs were very stiff initially and after two years they haven't softened much. Although stiffness of valve springs and flexibility aren't really linked, I wonder whether the rigidity in the valves makes me feel that this trumpet isn't as flexible as I'd like. I feel that alternating between both in the Jazz band will be a good way to access the playing characteristics of each.

I urge you to get the 1st valve sorted on your 37, and play both.

I'd love to, but have emailed one tech twice, another once, and still no reply. I reckon that I'll just have to hope that it is the sort of issue that will eventually bed in, if I can tolerate playing it long as it is for long enough.

Postscript: If you don't get a C trumpet for the orchestra gig, don't tell anybody. Just do what my father did in 1959 subbing for summer call regional orchestra gigs: transpose up a step. Nobody will care.

Nobody has suggested I get a C trumpet. There are just two of us on trumpet, me and my colleague. He has a spare C, and he kindly lent it to me for the summer. In return I transpose the parts for us via MuseScore 2. I know it should really be about the sound, but to me if a part is written for a C, and we both play it on C, it will save me transposing, and we are going to blend. We don't play in a professional orchestra, and last time we both used a C rather than Bb, I don't honestly think the players of the other instruments noticed. I'm probably showing my ignorance here, but does a Bb or C trumpet have a better sound for the Brahms Symphony No. 1? I don't know, but thought it sounded nice on C. Would a professional UK orchestral trumpet section use a Bb for this piece, whereas a professional US orchestral trumpet section would use a C? I don't know.

Thanks very much again.

Best wishes

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
So, 4 pages into the thread....

Have you decided whether or not to keep the Strad 37?

Hi trickg

I decided the following:

The Bach 37 is definitely staying. I think deep down I'd still like to own a good Bach Bb, whether or not I play it regularly.

What is to decide, is:

There can't be much wrong with the 1st valve, unless it is overly worn, which being worse with thicker oil, I don't think it is. I imagine that either the valve or valve casing is a fraction off round, causing it only to occur when my trumpet is warmed up, or that there is a little burr on one of the valve ports. I think I'll have a good look at the valve and valve casing, and see if I can see anything.

I do feel that if I can put up with for long enough, it will bed in on its own. After a long period on Holton, I've gone back to Yamaha synthetic light and it didn't stick last time, until after I re-oiled before putting it away. For some reason it is worse after re-oiling, again making me feel that it probably isn't overly worn. It is better also on quick passages. The problem typically occurs after the trumpet is fully warmed up on slow passages when the valve has been held down for a bit, and presents as the valve sticking on the upstroke. The thicker the oil the worse it is, the more oil, the worse it is, oiling before putting my trumpet away and not oiling again until after playing, is least problematic. I am absolutely certain there is no dirt anywhere mixing with the oil.

Do I continue to look for a good tech, or do I see if it beds in. I suppose this depends on whether I am planning to play it enough to give it any chance to bed in, which depends on whether I decide that I do prefer my Bach in more commercial settings. If I decide not to play if for now, it will be back to the case until who knows when. This doesn't bother me, as my Bach 184ML cornet is currently living in its case, as the Yamaha is better suited to my current playing environments.

Regarding a C, do I really need one? I'd say that I have use for one and would play it if I had one, but it is not essential. I've decided to save up for one.

Thanks very much for your replies everyone.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs

Last edited by Louise Finch on Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
Do I continue to look for a tech, or do I see if it beds in. I suppose this depends on whether I am planning to play it enough to give it any chance to bed in.

Since it is not your primary instrument for the time being, you probably won't play it enough to bed in the valve. I recommend taking it to the tech and get it sorted.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iiipopes wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
Do I continue to look for a tech, or do I see if it beds in. I suppose this depends on whether I am planning to play it enough to give it any chance to bed in.

Since it is not your primary instrument for the time being, you probably won't play it enough to bed in the valve. I recommend taking it to the tech and get it sorted.

Hi iiipopes

Thanks very much, but finding a good tech has always been the problem.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
Lou,

Hi TKSop

No worries. Thanks very much for looking, anyhow.

Worth a try, thanks. I'll give it a go.

Take care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
TKSop wrote:
Lou,

You've got it, and that's a great way to check as well. The stem of one of the other valves could work just fine and tell you if the problem is there.

Looking forward to hearing the results!

Al

Hi Al

Thanks very much. Next time it starts sticking, I'll try swapping the valve stem with the third valve, which has never been the least problematic.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I decided to play test my lacquered Yamaha 8335 Xeno II against my Bach 37 in my Jazz band. We played The Man I Love, Stars Fell on Alabama, Autumn in New York, Charmaine, In a Sentimental Mood and Ain't Misbehavin'. There are normally three of us on trumpet, but it was just me tonight, so I played Stars Fell on Alabama and Ain't Misbehavin', which are usually played by my colleagues, and it was basically a night of playing the melody either predominantly or for sections.

Since we play each number twice, I alternated between my two trumpets, starting each time with the Yamaha, and asked for the opinion of the other players at the end.

When I bought my Bach 37 used around ten years ago, I was playing lead in an old-time dance band, waltzes, fox trots, quick steps, latin etc, so not your typical big band lead playing. Leigh at Eclipse helped me to pick out this Bach. I've hardly played it for two years, owing to the 1st valve issue.

Anyway, as much as I like the sound and even response of my Yamaha, it was immediately obvious to me that my Bach was the better trumpet in this setting. Although the response is not so even as on my Yamaha, my Bach is quicker to respond and is a very lively flexible trumpet. Ain't Misbehavin' in particular, was noticeably easier to play on my Bach, as it responded so easily to what I wanted to do in terms of sound of approach, whereas I felt that I was having to fight my Yamaha.

I asked my colleagues which trumpet they liked best, and all apart from one, who is mainly an orchestral player, chose the Bach. In the words of the trombone player, the Bach sounded more Jazzy.

But the valve. It started off ok, but got progressively worse. I was alternating between the two trumpets, so it presumably was warming up and cooling down throughout the evening. By the last number, Ain't Misbehavin', the valve was sticking continuously on the upstroke, and I would say that the trumpet was almost unplayable, but I was determined to finish my play test.

I also noticed that the low notes sounded thinner on my Bach. Even though Will Spencer said before the second lapping, that the compression was reasonable for the age of my trumpet, I have a feeling that it may need a valve rebuild, but would the trumpet be less flexible after?

Anyway, I have decided to keep my Bach 37 for Jazz band, but must do something about the 1st valve. I wasn't in a position to try swapping the valve stems, so will try this at home.

I didn't re oil whilst playing. Normally however this makes it worse.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: