• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Besson Class A New Creation Trumpet - I need help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiago Markus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Besson Class A New Creation Trumpet - I need help! Reply with quote

I've recently found in my grandma's house an old silver plated Besson trumpet and I have been using it for my studies. It is the best i have ever played in my life, even though i found it in a pretty bad shape. Since i've found it i'm trying to find when it was made using the serial number that the instrument has in the second valve, but no sucess on that. I thought you guys could give me some help with that, so here i am! Here's the info that i can give about it:
It's silver plated.
On the second valve there is a brand and a serial number, the brand is Besson and Brevete and the serial number is 144699.
There is some stuff stamped on the bell: Class A New Creation, L.P., 50 medals of honour, a Besson logo and brand stamped on it and a star. Also has tree places written on it(exactly like this): London - Paris - New York. And after all that stuff it says that it was made in England.
Thanks in advance!
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hornucopia says sometime between 48 and 52. Markings sound like a brevette. They were good horns . I’ve played two and both played well. We’re fairly hi priced a few years ago but if in good condition still maybe a thousand??
Rod
Tiago Markus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it really plays well for an old instrument, the only problem is that the valves are heavy and get stuck sometimes and the valve oil doesn't help much.
But even with that problem, i'm having a really good time studying with it.
Thank you for the help, much appreciated!
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: + Reply with quote

Any repair shop should be able to improve the operation of the valves or recommend someone who can refurb them. Valve job can be 500$ here depending how highly regarded the person might be. If I really liked the play of the horn I would investigate the repair and make a decision based on cost and how that horn stacked up with others in the repair + sales value of the besson. After valve job horn should have valves better than new and intonation problems should improve. Many good horns out there in the 1000 - 1200 range that should be ready to go. But with a valve job you could have the equal to any of them. While I never thought the Brevette was best vintage horn it is a top level horn capable of doing things I certainly cant do.

Rather than give advice on how to possibly improve the operation of your valves yourself, I would suggest you do a search on the forums and you tube to see what you can do (without doing damage) to speed them yourself with household products. Many times a vintage horn that has set up in a closet not properly put away will develop some weird compounds on the valve and outer casing. Clean them within an inch of their lives using dish soap and alcohol and brushes - then oil and work. If you find that the valves are rusted or flaky from peeling of material, take it to a repairman. Don’t forget that anything in the valves is probably also in the rest of the tubing and will ruffle the airstream.

Warning - this works for me and Ive never had damage - BUT -

This may be a bit controversial but I will go ahead. I use a small steam generator/cleaner from a company called Shark. It blows steam at moderate pressure. ON SILVER AND GOLD PLATE HORNS ONLY I seal this steam to blow thru the trumpet bell, valves and all. The silver will not be effected by the heat in my experience, but this can bubble lacquer. This will after a few minutes take stuff out of your horn you will not believe, and in your case after so many years it may take a few minutes more. You must use hand protection as the trumpet will soon become the same temp as the steam. Keep it up till no goo runs out, then put it thru the leadpipe until until it also runs clear should be quick this way. Allow horn to cool. Remove valves and spray steam over until all crap and oil are off, should give you a good pic of rough or smooth. Steam valve casing inside, and steam entire outside to remove oils dirt. Give horn a bath and dry. Oil valves and casing, grease slides, and put horn together. Valves may now absorb more oil so keep them wet for awhile. Now check your valve speed, and pop the slides to make sure you have compression - also pull slowly and listen at bell to see how much valve clearance leakage you have. If you pull slowly and dont hear a shhhhhh at end of bell you have clearance issues at that valve and should consider a repairman advice. Also if you have areas where the valve is still sticking also a repairman. There are some home remedy’s that will help like home lapping but you have to play around with it and I wouldn’t do it on a vintage Brevette. Even if you dont use the steam you should get it absolutely clean so you can see where you are. If it has sentimental value and can be made to play well for reasonable money, its certainly worth the effort unless it has problems you haven’t mentioned.
My .02
Rod
Bob Stevenson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The valves stick intermitently because of debris in the small tubes between the valve jackets......remove the valves and as many of the slides that will come out easily, and soak overnight in a solution of warm soapy water.....don't let the valve felts get wet! In the morning, work a small brush or cleaning snake (traditionally a tea pot spout brush!) into the small tubes between the valves and the ports of the slides where they meet the vavles.......

Your problem happens because, as the instrument warms when played the dirt and debris in the small tubes becomes softger and ekes out onto the vavle surfaces thus causing sticking.......just cleaning and oiling gthe vavles won't work.

The New Creation was the top line 'pro' instrument made by Besson (the 'real' original Besson) during the 1950's and 60's.....in 1964 it would have cost one hundred pounds to by in the UK..about four times the average weekly wage and roughly equivalent to about £5k to £6k now. Many top performers and orchestral players used this instrument. There should be a tuning slide 'extender' to play orchestral parts in 'A'. The L.P. stamp denotes 'low pitch' (or international orchestral pitch) 'Class A' simply denotes 'best quality'....'Brevete' and '50 medals...' is essentially meaningless for this era.
Tiago Markus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in my city, brass instruments aren't much common. I haven't found another trumpet player in my city beside my grandpa(who is my teacher) and there is not any place to take it to repair. I have to make use with what i have here at home lol But yeah, this trumpet got a sentimental value to me, i'll do my best to get it working perfectly.
I forgot to mention all the slides are stuck too, so i can't give the instrument a nice wash sadly. My grandpa suggested kerosene to unstuck the valves, but i don't have it at the moment, any tips on that will be great.
Both the info on the history of the instrument and how to clean it are really useful, thank you.
Dutchman1954

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brevette is French for "Patented" which can be found on most anything that is sold in France
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutchman1954 wrote:
Brevette is French for "Patented" which can be found on most anything that is sold in France

I think it's breveté
Dutchman1954

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are correct
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: