• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Order of practice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cola

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Order of practice Reply with quote

What do you think works better for someone looking for technical developpement and musical committments? Rests are as much as I play, between exercices and blocks of practice

Approach A: start the day with warmup, then technique (1 or two 30 minute sets if allowed by my schedule). After rests, move on to repertoire and apply same 30 minute rule

Approch B: Warm up
Then blocks of 30-45 minutes each combining some technical exercices and repertoire alike.

P.s: I maintain the same focuses and mindset whether I blend technique and repertoire in my practice or not, working on small details and being conscious of a number of things. I just wonder the action of doing all the technical stuff in a row helps or troubles muscle memory.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like a piece of string, and only you can determine what works best, as you know what technical works you are doing as well as what repertoire...

I tend to mix things up after a warm up and basic routine which addresses most essential techniques, but that may not work in every situation.

cheers

Andy
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only comment I'd make is that if I'm practicing very demanding music, it's helpful for me to intersperse sessions (or partial sessions) of work on fundamentals to help keep my playing on track.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it isn't busy season, I start with sound production exercises, then long tones, then technical studies (mix these up based upon what I think is most in need of work), then repertoire (excerpts, or lyrical studies, or orchestral-type melodic studies). I try to mix it up so I don't feel I always have to do the same things the same way.

If it's busy season, I start with sound production exercises, then maybe some Clarke 1, then a high-priority technical study to help with the repertoire I'm working on, then repertoire. I sometimes have to make a list of repertoire excerpts and lay out a practice schedule, especially if there are lots of difficult excerpts and I'm pressed for time (otherwise I spend too much time on the most difficult excerpt and never get to the rest of the list). A few times I'll go straight from a short warmup to repertoire excerpts to simulate a performance situation, when either a long warmup isn't possible or I don't want to spend any more of my playing resources than I have to.
Piccolo Stomvi
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
both are ok, just remember that when you're working for high level quality, you must do it while still fresh, otherwise you don't developp those qualities.
best
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: