• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Anyone use a Reeves dF cup on their mp?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morogan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Anyone use a Reeves dF cup on their mp? Reply with quote

I've got a 41/dF on the way from a purchase here at TH and was curious if anyone uses a dF cup on their Reeves mp for flugel. It's described as: "Deep Flugel - European brass band flugelhorn sound". Thoughts?
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think Bob makes the best playing Flugelhorn mouthpieces available. They play well in tune and respond quite well.

The deep flugelhorn cup plays quite nice and has a dark sound. I would use it for Brass Band and/or Jazz solo work.

How about you tell us what you think when you get it.

Best, Jon

Remember this is supposed to be fun.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a Reeves fan since the early '70s. I started with an early Trumpet model, 1S695 in 1971. The 1 Rim morphed into a 41 Rim sometime later and has been my regular goto for decades. I have used a 41FE on my old school Getzen Flugelhorn at least since the '80s and just ordered a 41HF in order to obtain a much darker sound on my newer, brighter sounding Flugelhorn for a necessary regular application. IMO Reeves Mouthpieces are well made and consistent in manufacture. I would like to hear your feedback on your new piece and will share my experience as well when I get the HF!

Kindest Regards,

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Morogan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep; I'd be happy (and already planned) to share my observations on it. I've wanted to try the dF for a while, so I am looking forward to receiving and playing it this evening. I'm going to take some time to acclimate to it before I post my thoughts, but maybe I'll do a quick "first impression" post sooner rather than later.
Morogan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few quick "first play" thoughts on the Reeves 41/dF. Note that these are relative to the Jupiter 7C flugelhorn mouthpiece, standard with my XO 1646L, which honestly isn't a bad mouthpiece at all. Also, these are my impressions from behind the bell; I haven't recorded anything to listen to the business end.

* Physically: visibly smaller bore, somewhat deeper v-cup, and total length is shorter by roughly 4 or 5 mm (this made me wonder if I had the correct shank shape, but based on the engraved designation, it is correct -- I should get out my calipers and measure, though)
* Noticable drop in volume; sound is clearly more compact/focused; maybe "controlled" is a better word
* Increased core without sounding too dark
* No trouble with attacking 5th-line F (which is my only complaint with the Jupiter 7C; above or below that F has never been a problem on the 7C and the tone is huge and rich otherwise -- weird)
* I didn't notice a significant change in intonation, but that is going to take a lot more time for me to assess with any real confidence.

That's it for now...
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my Reeves 41HF mouthpiece on Wednesday. I ordered the Bottom only, so as soon as I put a 41 Rim on it, I did a visual survey. I first compared it to my regular Flugelhorn piece, the Reeves 41FE and other than the shank and rim, no physical similarities were apparent. I then compared it to my 41C2J Trumpet mouthpiece and found them very alike in all aspects but the Shank.

Playing brought on a few surprises, mostly a much softer sound (at least from my side of the bell) and a somewhat noticeable presence of the deeper overtones, especially on the lower end of my range. It felt and, for the most part, plays much like my 41C2J from a physical feedback standpoint. I plan to give a more detailed evaluation after a few weeks of play and collect feedback from others in group performances.

As an afterthought, I find that, at least in my experience, keeping the 41 Rim as a common element, makes transitioning from horn to horn and style to style extremely easy. Hence, I play and have played Reeves 41 rimmed mouthpieces exclusively since 1971.
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Morogan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I ever found a perfect, "fits like a glove" rim, I'd do exactly the same thing. I've never been a huge fan of modular mouthpieces for other reasons, but it's also easy enough to have a one-piece made after a good recipe has been found for a modular combo that worked well.

Sounds like the 41 rim is the perfect mate for you; awesome. We should all be so lucky! Keep us posted on your thoughts. My initial feelings for the 41/dF haven't changed over the last week of playing other than I wish it was just a little less resistant.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my first run with the new 41HF at Brass Rehearsal last evening following a 2 hour Symphony Orchestra Rehearsal earlier in the day in which I played 2nd Trumpet on my Bach C with the 41C2J mouthpiece. The overall effect of the change, according to some of the other members, is in fact a somewhat darker sound on my newer Flugelhorn, the desired effect. It approximates the same sound as my older Flugelhorn with my original 41FE. As suspected from what I heard on my side of the bell, the sound does not project as well, but with a little more air support and volume, works well according to the director. I warmed up and practiced on my older flugel using the 41HF this morning and found almost no perceptible difference from the 41FE on that horn. This horn is an easier blow and seems to be intrinsically darker, though the specs are the same for both horns. A plus is that the 41HF feels and plays very much like the 41C2J that I use often on my Bb and C Trumpets when play 2nd Trumpet parts in Classical and Brass Ensemble settings. Transition from horn to horn is, as far as I can tell, seamless. This mouthpiece, like all of my Reeves lineup, is a great addition!
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Morogan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, it sounds like a perfect fit for your particular horn and situation. Which two flugelhorn models are you using? Any difference in bore?
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played an old school '76 Getzen Eterna 895S for decades and recently had a 3rd valve trigger added to correct some intonation issues. Other than that, it is stock. The Bore is .460. My newer '98 Getzen Flugelhorn is also a Getzen Eterna 895S, also stock, but it is a slightly different build, most noticeable in the Bell Bow curvature. Some of the Braces are of a different design as well and the Slides have a more narrow profile. It too, is a .460 Bore, and according to Getzen the same specs as my old one. The newer horn does not have the intonation issues that the older one had. The '76 horn has an incredibly dark, unique sound that almost always brings comments from other Trumpeters. The '98 horn is much brighter in sound and seems to be lighter in weight, though I have not actually compared weight on a scale. Searching for the Darker sound on the '98 is what prompted the purchase of the Reeves 41HF mouthpiece. I like the sound much better now, but it is still very different for the '76 horn.
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my expiriance
Reeves F #24 bore works great with large bore horns like Getzen Eterna etc.
Reeves dF and HF #20 bore works great with smaller horns like yamaha 731/631/631G etc.
And Reeves FE #16 bore works fine with small bore flugels like couesnon,Shew etc.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your insight giakara. I will look in to your suggestions, especially since I am still not totally satisfied with the sound on my newer horn.

Regards to you,

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Reeves HF underpart which I use with a rim a little smaller than the Reeves '40'..It's the deepest flugel underpart that Reeves makes that I'm aware of. It has a beautiful soft, very dark sound. I also have an 'F' underpart which I think is the shallowest flugel underpart Reeves makes.. It gets a great, brighter flugel sound with extremely good intonation. I think the dF underpart is one step shallower than the HF if I'm not mistaken. All the best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
Hornhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 older Reeves Flugelhorn MP's. Probably 1994.

P8 (Purviance 8 Rim) R F and a P8 RF (E) The E version is for Extra Deep I believe.

I have not played either at all since I bought 3 Denis Wick. His 4FL has a very smooth, sweet and soft sound. Very Deep Cup with a 4.6mm backbore

I also have a 4FLB Shallower Med. Deep cup, more European Fanfare band where Flugel replaces cornet. More of a traditional Flugel piece. Also 4.6mm BB

And a 5EFL which is more of a Shallow Cup Jazz MP with a V-Cup and a 3.9MM Backbore All are considered Open Backbore

I like the 4FL sound the best!

2009 Yamaha YTR-8310ZBP Black Phoenix
1952 Martin Committee Deluxe Raw Brass & Nickel
2017 da carbo Unica Gold Lacquer/Carbon Fiber
2020 Inderbinen Wood Raw Brass Flugelhorn
Getzen Eterna 998 Valve Bone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: