• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Adult trumpet beginner - Advanced pianist

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jafuentes3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Adult trumpet beginner - Advanced pianist Reply with quote

Hi everyone!
This is my first time posting. I am a pianist starting my Masters in Jazz performance. I am seeking your help because I fell in love with the idea of learning some trumpet (with the purpose of aiding my pedagogical skills - I don't know anything about brass!) I am really serious about it and I know it is a huge undertaking.

I've asked a lot around for what would be a good starting horn. I've heard really different answers from everyone I've asked (from plastic to pawn shops!) I value all of your opinions highly and I want to read your thoughts on this.
Thank you!
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have enough money purchasing a used pro instrument, Bach, Yamaha, Getzen, Kanstul, Shilke, and others, you can get an good instrument that will hold its resale value.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend renting a Yamaha student model, preferably one that's in good repair. You can't go wrong. Ideally, you'll sign up with a teacher just to confirm that the horn is in good working order and to help you choose a suitable mouthpiece, though I hazard that the 11B4 would be a sensible one to start.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Jafuentes3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice. If anyone else has something to say about more affordable instruments or which brands to avoid please let me know. I am looking for as much information as I can.

Thank you!
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would depend on how long you think you'll play and how good you think you'll get. Clearly, you already know how to practice, so that's going to help tremendously as you navigate the beginning stages of learning a brass instrument.

With that in mind, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a student model horn and a pro model horn - you won't be developed enough as a player to feel the difference.

I'd tend to think that a good Yamaha student model horn with a middle of the road 3C mouthpiece would a good place to start. If money isn't a factor, you could always look for a good deal on a used pro horn too - you'd never have to upgrade from that. Something like the ubiquitous Bach Stradivarius ML/37, or a Yamaha YTR-6335 would take you wherever you wound up going.

On an unrelated side note, as a Jazz performance major, have you heard of the late jazz piano teacher Ted Alexander who lived and taught out of the Denver area? He was a family friend. He was an avid pheasant hunter and when he'd come out to Nebraska to hunt, he'd play after dinner when we'd have him over. World class jazz piano right in my living room.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Jafuentes3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
I think it would depend on how long you think you'll play and how good you think you'll get. Clearly, you already know how to practice, so that's going to help tremendously as you navigate the beginning stages of learning a brass instrument.

With that in mind, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a student model horn and a pro model horn - you won't be developed enough as a player to feel the difference.

I'd tend to think that a good Yamaha student model horn with a middle of the road 3C mouthpiece would a good place to start. If money isn't a factor, you could always look for a good deal on a used pro horn too - you'd never have to upgrade from that. Something like the ubiquitous Bach Stradivarius ML/37, or a Yamaha YTR-6335 would take you wherever you wound up going.

On an unrelated side note, as a Jazz performance major, have you heard of the late jazz piano teacher Ted Alexander who lived and taught out of the Denver area? He was a family friend. He was an avid pheasant hunter and when he'd come out to Nebraska to hunt, he'd play after dinner when we'd have him over. World class jazz piano right in my living room.

Very thoughtful reply. Thanks a lot! Unfortunately I've never heard of him. I will look up to see if I can find any recordings. Thanks for sharing this experience
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you're so much a "beginner" as you are already experienced and accomplished in music. You already have concepts of tone, intonation, discipline etc. it's a matter of transferring it to trumpet. I say get a nice intermediate used pro horn and take care of it so it retains its resale value. Have a blast.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used student tpts: $100-$400. Used pro tpts: $1000-$2400.
Piccolo Stomvi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: