• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

When buying used horns...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jafuentes3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: When buying used horns... Reply with quote

What are things you are usually cautious about when you buy an used horn?

It is my first time playing trumpet but unfortunately I am in a really tight budget.

Some people have suggested plastic trumpets. What are your experiences with these?
Also, someone suggested buying used trumpets. Someone is selling a Holton T602 (which I understand it's good!) Apparently he says that the valves are sticky. Is this easily repairable? Worth the buy?

Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you!
ruotjoh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would stay away from plastic trumpets. Some of them play ok but that's not something that you want to use as your primary horn. Buy some well-known student horn in good used condition (Yamaha 23XX, Olds Ambassador etc).

First thing you should check is the valves. If they are sticky even when cleaned well then stay away from it. Sticky valves, stuck slides or any visible dents around them will probably lead to problems. Some small dents in the bell or crooks are easily fixable by your local repair tech and doesn't affect playing that much.

Always try before you buy. If possible, play some scales and and listen sound and intonation. If everything works and you're pleased what you hear then it is a good horn. Even better if you can get a pro player to test the horn for you.

Good luck!
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: when buying used horns Reply with quote

I want to echo a bit on what rootjob says. I bought a trombaabout 6 weeks ago and it is OK. the plastic horns will blow free and sound relatively trumpet like with a metal mouthpiece in. You will need to have your own metal ax. Of all the horns I have played over the years I favor Getzen for their valves and sturdy build. From the 300s, 400s and other intermediate lines of horns they play well and they just work. Yamaha makes great beginner horns and some of the 2320s can be found for very reasonable prices. Let a local shop give you a try on used ones they have. If you find one in person that you like and it has a good sound whatever you spend on it you should feel more comfortable from the start. Good Luck and enjoy yourself in your search.
Jafuentes3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply! All of the ideas here were extremely helpful for my search. I will update with the results as soon as I get my hands on a horn.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a budget, I'd look no further than a lightly used Yamaha student model. They are very sturdy and consistently made. Unless it's been really abused it's hard to go wrong.

Ignore plastic or cheap no-name imports.

If possible have an experienced player preview any candidate to screen out duds.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: When buying used horns... Reply with quote

Jafuentes3 wrote:
Some people have suggested plastic trumpets. What are your experiences with these?

All plastic trumpets are crap, period. There's no such thing as a plastic trumpet that sounds good. Laugh at anyone who points to the Alison Balsom promotional video and says it sounds good because they're obviously deaf. At no time in the entire video does Alison once say the horn sounds good. She doesn't play one in concert because she knows damned well it sounds like excrement.

You need an instrument that it's possible to get a good sound out of as you improve - there are endless inexpensive trumpets that sound and play better.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who would seriously suggest a plastic trumpet?

Kazoos and recorders that are often used in elementary school music programs are made of plastic.

I've been playing trumpet for about 55 years, and have never heard of anyone seriously playing a plastic trumpet, nor suggesting that anyone attempt to do so.

If you are on a tight budget, you certainly don't want to throw your money away on a plastic trumpet.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure they've made more than 5 posts on this site before buying...
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Holton t602/Collegiate is a great horn to get started on. I would buy nothing that had sticky or sluggish valves!
Jafuentes3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news is that I didn't buy a plastic trumpet!
I found an Olds Ambassador (fullerton) for quite cheap online..
I will update once I get my hands on the trumpet and I take it to the shop.
Again, thanks everyone for sharing their experiences.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: when buying used horns Reply with quote

Lots of good advice above. Yamaha makes beginnner horns that work and they are out there at good prices. So are Getzens. They are made like tanks and their valves are always flawless. One should be able to find a used Yamaha beginner or intermediate for a reasonable price. I just received a prolevel horn, a Pfund on saturday that is in as new condition for $550. I scoured for months and took a shot on it. It plays very well and has had wonderful care. They are out there, the gems, I mean.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jafuentes3 wrote:
Good news is that I didn't buy a plastic trumpet!
I found an Olds Ambassador (fullerton) for quite cheap online..
I will update once I get my hands on the trumpet and I take it to the shop.
Again, thanks everyone for sharing their experiences.

I've had good experiences with the Ambassadors I've played. My only caution is that most of these are old horns. And even though they hold up really well, there are some maintenance items you should plan on checking/fixing, particularly the valve pads. At a minimum replace them with a new set. If you're highly motivated, find a shop that will align the valves by adjusting the felts. Some shops charge a lot for this, others not so much. And before you do any of that be sure to clean the horn really well. If it's really bad, have it done by a good pro shop
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Jay2015trumpet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for Accent 950 models-they're B+S Challenger I's in disguise. You can get one one on eBay most times for 500 or less. The Schmidt 37 is the same horn as well. Really good value for an entry level pro horn. (I prefer the B+S X line.) If that's too much, consider Kanstul 800 Internationals (300-500), or vintage models. I've had luck with C. Fischer and other Conn stencil brands as well as Holton Collegiate models from the early 60s. Beater grade Yamaha 2335s with decent valve compression can be had for 150-200.00.

On the subject of plastic horns, I did try a Tromba Bb in yellow that was ok; however, the top valve caps were very fragile and I had to overblow to get a full sound. Plastic just isn't going to replace anything anytime soon. But it might be ok as a gimmick at a jazz club or something..
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay2015trumpet wrote:
Look for Accent 950 models-they're B+S Challenger I's in disguise. You can get one one on eBay most times for 500 or less. The Schmidt 37 is the same horn as well. Really good value for an entry level pro horn. (I prefer the B+S X line.)

Some of those Accents are German-made (likely B&S or something), but the many of the recent ones are not.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Jafuentes3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, THANK YOU all for all the awesome information. Today I got my used Olds Ambassador back from the repair shop. So far, my trumpet player friends who have tried the horn say its perfect for what I want to do!
I will be more than happy to share some more information if there's anyone interested in something specific (repair costs, ebay experience, whatever) tomorrow will be my first day that I start playing trumpet. I am excited.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jafuentes3 wrote:
Seriously, THANK YOU all for all the awesome information. Today I got my used Olds Ambassador back from the repair shop. So far, my trumpet player friends who have tried the horn say its perfect for what I want to do!
I will be more than happy to share some more information if there's anyone interested in something specific (repair costs, ebay experience, whatever) tomorrow will be my first day that I start playing trumpet. I am excited.

If you ever get the urge to upgrade, buy a Bach 43 leadpipe and have a local repair shop fit it to the Olds. I used to do this years ago for horns I could then have less than $100 in and give them to students who could not afford a higher priced instrument. They played as well as many Bach trumpets we could buy at the time, and frankly were very abuse durable. I've not done this in a while, but cannot imagine it being too hard even now.

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
If you ever get the urge to upgrade, buy a Bach 43 leadpipe and have a local repair shop fit it to the Olds.

Why specifically a 43?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was mentioned, I didn't see it. The biggest thing is valve compression. $450 for a rebuild makes the new old horn expensive in a hurry.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Jafuentes3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Dr. Lilly! I was not aware of that possibility. It sounds like something I will be able (and would like to do) in the future
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
dr_trumpet wrote:
If you ever get the urge to upgrade, buy a Bach 43 leadpipe and have a local repair shop fit it to the Olds.

Why specifically a 43?

Great question! From trials with various leadpipe, and the feeling by some that the Ambassador is a bit tight after a while, the 43 was found to open the horn up and make it play very well. I tried the 44 (which is supposed to be the 43 in nickel silver), and it works well too. But the 43 is generally easier to find. The 25 and 7 felt tight with the Ambassador bell for most.

In other words, mostly personal preference, but a preference that was found to be fairly consistent among those who tried the alternatives. I am sure there are others that would work as well for some, if not better.

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: