• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Should I quit

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cola

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Should I quit Reply with quote

Here's my story

I picked up the trumpet 3 1/2 years ago. Learned scales, to improvise, had crappy tone until I picked up a teacher. Made some progress everywhere, but after a year range stagnates. His attitude: use support! Find your own way to understand the high note feeling in terms of embouchure, sensation, etc... Very optimistic teacher who made me play notes I wouldn't dare to try. Had him for a year and a half.

Comes in next teacher. Classical player. He reforms my embouchure. Tells me everything I do is crap, doesn't go well with my practice entousiatsm and tells me to play max 1hour per day, which was RIDICULOUS given my commitments. He destroyed my confidence and pushed me away from jazz to get a pure technical mindset. A knife that cuts both ways. I improved some aspects, but the rest was disastrous. I wanted to improve so .... fast and he was holding me back. Yeah, here comes the speech of fatigue and bad habits. I wanted to practice BOTH hard and smart.

This summer I did as he say, practicing very few hours a day and focusing on the technique. But now I'm in University and I feel I play like crap every time, as if something was wrong with that. New teacher gave me the exact opposite approach with a 1h30 long routine and other things as well, but I feel like I've lost my soul. I try so .... hard to focus on the positive, retain what's good, rest as much as I play, all that tralala that everyone will suggest is wrong with my practice. Sometimes I think that practicing 3h30 a day might be too much but hell you guys now how it works. If I am to become a professional trumpeter there's so much I need to know and practice and with 3h30 of material (yes, slow focused practice) seems like fair enough to accomplish a MINIMUM of virtuosity.

My current teacher says developpement works in plateaus. If he's right, I feel like I've been below sea level for a painful amount of time. Range, endurance, tone isssues have made me depressive and the lack of a practical solution (play less? no! play softer? I need to play louder according to teacher goddammit! Embouchure? Been there done that) makes me crazy.

So let me ask bluntly: am I cursed to suck at the trumpet?

<<Edited by moderators. This is a family-friendly site, obscenities are prohibited. If you use them again you'll lose your posting privileges.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me like you could use a break from playing. Enjoy music (not performance). When you come back, do it with another teacher. And don't be impatient.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

couple of points:

1) yes it takes a lot of practice time to become an improvising musician on the trumpet. The trumpet part can not be pushed too hard or you go backwards. the improvising part can be done somewhat apart from the trumpet part. That is where resting comes in. If you were to sing instead of play (breathing like trumpet, exhaling like trumpet, fingering and articulation like trumpet, singing the exact notes, with good pitch and musicality, that will translate directly to the horn. And it does not wear out your mechanics or make for bad habits.

2) playing while tired is a REAL bad thing to do. SO bad that it is way worse than not practicing enough. you have to believe that down deep. It seems you are proving it to yourself in any case.

3) play softer the WHOLE day if you are going to practice your maximum amout that day. Its good on every level, chops, concept, air, musicality. Play louder on days when you are not going to put in that much time. and DO NOT practice the same amount and the same stuff every day

4) my guess is you are doing too much in the way of flexibility excercises. That and long tones are addicting and can take too much physical and time resources. More music less mechanics maybe. If you are playing aton of aebersolds, that too can become addicting and lead to playing while tired and forcing bad habits. Bad habits are not really bad habits...they are bad mechanics that only work when you are tired. So you can end up sucking until you are tired, then you sound good and destroyed at the same time.

5) dont blame anything on a teacher. All three of your teachers seem to be telling you good information.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cola, I think you may have lost sight of what playing music with an instrument is about. If you don't enjoy it, then why do it?

We live in an age now where everything seemly has to be approached with the mindset that we need to work on things in a disciplined way if we're going to achieve "success" doing it, but I think sometimes that just sucks the fun out of things.

At age 47, when I boil it down, I continue to play trumpet and gig for a very basic reasons:

It's fun and I enjoy it - I enjoy the music, the feeling of being a part of something bigger than just me, the synergy of playing with other musicians, the feeling that I get when I know it has gone well, and yeah, I like the compliments I get from people after I've played.

My approach to the horn was almost a direct opposite of what you've just described. I started to excel in the middle of my 3rd year on the horn, and I started to outpace my peers, so part of it was the joy of "winning" - band was competitive where I grew up, and we had chair placement tryouts several times a year, which shook things up and kept people on their toes.

When I was a Freshman in HS, my playing ability really jumped. It wasn't because I was working on things in a structured way in the practice room either. It was almost totally opposite of what you're doing. I got better because I was playing ALL THE TIME. And why? Because I loved playing. Every chance I got I was back in the band room with my horn out, noodling through something or other - usually pep band tunes.

My thought is that you should stop worrying so much about all of the mind-numbing stuff that goes along with playing an instrument, and get back to playing because you enjoy it. Stop looking at the clock for how much time you are playing. Play the stuff you enjoy and work on making that sound better. It's not a textbook approach, but you will continue to improve by doing that.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP

Last edited by trickg on Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should you quit? I dunno... that's up to you. Trumpet playing can be lots of fun, but trumpeters can experience severe setbacks too. Only the really motivated and determined ones keep going.

I do think your experience with teachers has not been good and hasn't helped you get a good start and maintain steady progress. Bad advice has caught up with you, and it isn't clear which way to turn.

I've found that different teachers have different philosophies about the best way to learn to play trumpet. They don't explain their philosophies, but you can pick it up by the way they teach. Many encourage students to advance as quickly as possible--a fast-track approach. I think your first teacher was like that. I've had a teacher like that. I think it's a bad approach. It works for awhile but then progress stalls because holes in basic skills and development catch up. It can even lead to severe playing problems.

A few rare teachers are more careful to make sure their students have a solid foundation. They don't want their students to race ahead if they see critical weaknesses in the basics. I think your second teacher was like that. This can be really frustrating for an impatient student who thinks s/he knows better than the teacher. But I think this approach has a better chance of success, provided the teacher is right about identifying specific weaknesses and giving advice on how to overcome them.

Is your second teacher a good teacher? I dunno... but it sounds to me like s/he is a lot better than the first one, and might actually be a good one. Hard to say with little info.

I think you need to rebuild your concept about the smart way to learn trumpet. You're very impatient, and so you haven't built a good foundation. There are plenty of good teachers who can help you, but you have to listen.

If you'd like to read about principles of study, I highly suggest the Franquin method. The first 50 pages or so includes his principles of study and practice guidelines. Spoiler-alert: you will probably find that his advice is much more in line with your 2nd teacher than your first.

Hope this helps. No, you aren't cursed. Good luck!
Piccolo Stomvi
Cola

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
Cola, I think you may have lost sight of what playing music with an instrument is about. If you don't enjoy it, then why do it?

We live in an age now where everything seemly has to be approached with the mindset that we need to work on things in a disciplined way if we're going to achieve "success" doing it, but I think sometimes that just sucks the fun out of things.

At age 47, when I boil it down, I continue to play trumpet and gig for a very basic reasons:

It's fun and I enjoy it - I enjoy the music, the feeling of being a part of something bigger than just me, the synergy of playing with other musicians, the feeling that I get when I know it has gone well, and yeah, I like the compliments I get from people after I've played.

My approach to the horn was almost a direct opposite of what you've just described. I started to excel in the middle of my 3rd year on the horn, and I started to outpace my peers, so part of it was the joy of "winning" - band was competitive where I grew up, and we had chair placement tryouts several times a year, which shook things up and kept people on their toes.

When I was a Freshman in HS, my playing ability really jumped. It wasn't because I was working on things in a structured way in the practice room either. It was almost totally opposite of what you're doing. I got better because I was playing ALL THE TIME. And why? Because I loved playing. Every chance I got I was back in the band room with my horn out, noodling through something or other - usually pep band tunes.

My thought is that you should stop worrying so much about all of the mind-numbing stuff that goes along with playing an instrument, and get back to playing because you enjoy it. Stop looking at the clock for how much time you are playing. Play the stuff you enjoy and work on making that sound better. It's not a textbook approach, but you will continue to improve by doing that.

I wish I could do that again, I truly do. However I find myself trapped by my technique so much I can't stand playing 5 minutes without my bubble breaking from a technical failiure.
Cola

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
Should you quit? I dunno... that's up to you. Trumpet playing can be lots of fun, but trumpeters can experience severe setbacks too. Only the really motivated and determined ones keep going.

I do think your experience with teachers has not been good and hasn't helped you get a good start and maintain steady progress. Bad advice has caught up with you, and it isn't clear which way to turn.

I've found that different teachers have different philosophies about the best way to learn to play trumpet. They don't explain their philosophies, but you can pick it up by the way they teach. Many encourage students to advance as quickly as possible--a fast-track approach. I think your first teacher was like that. I've had a teacher like that. I think it's a bad approach. It works for awhile but then progress stalls because holes in basic skills and development catch up. It can even lead to severe playing problems.

A few rare teachers are more careful to make sure their students have a solid foundation. They don't want their students to race ahead if they see critical weaknesses in the basics. I think your second teacher was like that. This can be really frustrating for an impatient student who thinks s/he knows better than the teacher. But I think this approach has a better chance of success, provided the teacher is right about identifying specific weaknesses and giving advice on how to overcome them.

Is your second teacher a good teacher? I dunno... but it sounds to me like s/he is a lot better than the first one, and might actually be a good one. Hard to say with little info.

I think you need to rebuild your concept about the smart way to learn trumpet. You're very impatient, and so you haven't built a good foundation. There are plenty of good teachers who can help you, but you have to listen.

If you'd like to read about principles of study, I highly suggest the Franquin method. The first 50 pages or so includes his principles of study and practice guidelines. Spoiler-alert: you will probably find that his advice is much more in line with your 2nd teacher than your first.

Hope this helps. No, you aren't cursed. Good luck!

My point is that he was very keen on those technicalities, but that was it. It made me compulsively think of technique all the time. I loved his precise approach, but the level it took just outweighted any music I wanted to bring in. I became unable to enjoy my playing because I was (and still am) way too much focused on those aspects to the point of ''paralysis by analysis''

Wise men avoid extremums, but balance is sterile.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cola wrote:
I wish I could do that again, I truly do. However I find myself trapped by my technique so much I can't stand playing 5 minutes without my bubble breaking from a technical failiure.

Everyone goes through stages with their technique. I can guarantee you one thing though - if you never push through those issues with technique, you're never going to get there, and it's going to take a whole lot more time than 5 minutes.

I should put you in touch with a friend of mine. He's a proponent of the Superchops method, more or less, although he's refined it some. The guy has insane chops. We did a facetime "lesson" of sorts one night where he tried to turn me on to some chops things. He was saying that in order to do what he does, you have to rethink your whole approach to the horn, and it starts with working on getting a sound from a squeak. He flat out said that it's going to sound terrible for a while but that if you just push through to the point where it finally starts to just happen on its own, that's the step-off point to a whole new world of playing.

Sadly, I've been busier than the proverbial "one-armed paper hanger with hives" and I haven't had a chance to really dedicate myself to it, but I believe what he says because he's walking proof of it.

Link

- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should you quit? Thats ultimately up to you, but it sounds to me as if you would regret it.
I doubt that a maximum of one hour per day of practice will get you where you want to be (youve probably heard the 10,000 hour adage), but I also dont know why that particular teacher prescribed that.

If (BIG if) you cant find a local teacher to help you, you might consider lessons via skype.

Brad
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of music do you love listening to?

Who is your favorite player?

Do you want to sound like they do?

Matrix question: Do you really think that's air you're breathing? in here?

Okay the last part was a little off track but if you answer the first three questions, I have an idea.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Should I quit Reply with quote

Hello all,
Here is my story. I was a good player in Junior High, but was often frustrated that I could not center well..Was all over the map. High school came, and some of that improved, took a few lessons from a couple different folks. Went to college. Needed to work to put myself through, so did not have time to put into the horn, even though I was a MusEd major with trpt minor. By the third year, I knew i did not have what it took to really make money playing, so public school teaching was the money maker. In 30 years of playing in community groups and finally having the time to step back and figure stuff out, I learned more from watching and talking to others than I did in the studio. I also had the time to enjoy a balance of playing and putting time in. Cola, I hope you find a balance and don't worry about where you are at or compare yourself with others. There will always be a better player that you will be able to admire. Get to a point and do that to the best of your ability. But don't quit.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Cola: almost every one of us that have ever made good music with a trumpet have had to work through the same sort of issues you describe in your OP.

Quitting is not a fix.

Listening to great players helps, and many say is absolutely essential. I just listened to Ruben Simeo and watched the sheet music he was playing, on YouTube. I tend to really enjoy videos like that.

On the how-to front, put the horn down while your chops still feel good and pick it back up again "later." Later may mean 5 minutes, or 20, or several hours; but it is a good way of making sure we don't set ourselves back by overdoing it. This is the one thing that would have made the biggest difference in my own playing had I done it my whole life.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the first thought you have when you wake up in the morning is, "Hey, another day to play my horn," then stick with it.

If your first thought is, "Hey, another day to have to play my horn," then quit. Find something that you're excited about and pursue that.

Life is too short to do otherwise.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, in light of the fact that John Blount, a wonderful trumpet player and human being, has passed away just today, I felt that this quote from the preface of his method book is appropriate here:

"My basic philosophy is that every musician must find his or her own way of playing and execute it subconsciously. I believe strongly that if a player must consciously manipulate his face, tongue, or any other part of his anatomy for that matter, most of his effort will be directed toward that end leaving insufficient mental and physical energy for the primary objective of creating great music. After all, the best trumpet playing can and must be as natural as possible." -- John Blount

John was the retired lead player from the US Navy Commodores, the Navy's premier big band. John definitely knew his stuff as a player - I was fortunate enough to get to gig alongside of him a few times and it was always a treat, not to mention that it was eye opening to hear how it's really supposed to be done.
- ACB Doubler

Cola

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
If the first thought you have when you wake up in the morning is, "Hey, another day to play my horn," then stick with it.

If your first thought is, "Hey, another day to have to play my horn," then quit. Find something that you're excited about and pursue that.

My first thought is ''Am I going to solve this? Will I move forward today? Will I sound good? How many days until I can finally play my horn the way I am meant to play it naturally?

Yup, that's pretty much it. Always afraid of being in the wrong process even though my goals are crystal clear to me. I have a thousand things to say and can't wait to be able to speak without stammering, questioning every accent and spelling. I guess the process is much longer than I want it to be.
Cola

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:

Okay the last part was a little off track but if you answer the first three questions, I have an idea.

1. Chet Baker
2. I want to be able to have either my own sound (unique and distinct) or be very versatile. Doesn't really matter as long as I appreciate it.
3. Still struggling with balanced breathing, but gradually improving.
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go have some fun and do good things with your playing: play taps at some memorials or even vet funerals, demonstrate playing at facilities for the learning disabled, etc. it will give you a new outlook. people will care that you did it, not care what you thought of your efforts. nobody at a funeral gives a rip that you burred note 4 and went a little sharp in the last pitch - they care that you played.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cola wrote:
Richard III wrote:

1. Chet Baker
2. I want to be able to have either my own sound (unique and distinct) or be very versatile. Doesn't really matter as long as I appreciate it.
3. Still struggling with balanced breathing, but gradually improving.

Ding. Ding. Ding. You are a winner. I was afraid you would be another of those symphony players or lead trumpet types. Those guys have a questionable future since there are so few jobs of that type. The answer is for the time being, forget a teacher. Too much time is spent looking for answers from others. Listen to everything you can get your hands on from Chet or others like him. Listen to Clark Terry. Listen to Ruby Braff. Listen to Red Allen. These are the guys who had a sound and didn't spend forever playing high notes. They worked on quality tone and interesting phrasing and ideas. Listen, listen and more listen. Listen to your sound. Work your sound. Get a book or two from Pop McLaughlin. Teach yourself. Learn the ins and outs of your sound. Quit stressing. Become the teacher by listening and learning about what you hear.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:

Great advice.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:

Yep! After 55 years of playing and a regular paying gig that can be somewhat intense, to say the least, I still am happy that I get/am able to play rather than have to. For me, the key word was "play"- I always used that with my students rather than work when encouraging them to practice and stretch their abilities.

And another word of advice, take it as you may: There are extremely few jobs out there these days for people to make a living playing any musical instrument and I'm betting it doesn't improve in the future. I am not certain what your overall goal in trumpet study is, but I can't imagine anyone learning a musical instrument whose first reason is not because they enjoy playing it and making music. Even for the below average player, participation at some level (for me) trumps being only an observer. Best wishes to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: