• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Range Development

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FivePointer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Range Development Reply with quote

For the past two years I have been trying to play more consistently B above the staff and high C. I have been using the Caruso Method to develop my embouchure and have been doing this on a daily basis. I have been methodical and patient with this method. I was doing well and making good progress but now I seem to be hitting a wall and feel as though I am regressing. "B" has always been a problem. I did the slurs in Caruso with a metronome every day. Is this too much, perhaps? Should I do these exercises every other day? Should I not try to develop range and go back to just play mid- range and the range will take care of itself?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long have you been at this wall? In my experience, progress is not a steady climb. Often a period of progress will be followed by a bit of a down turn and then pop up to another level.
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Caruso exercises are not the be-all end-all
of range development.
I am not saying not to practice them.
But you need to combine them with
other fundamental practice.
Soft long tones throughout the range of the
instrument, along with scales,
and a moderate amount of lip slurs
should be part of your daily practice routine.
You should also practice etudes to develop
endurance. Endurance and range go hand-in-hand.
The characteristic studies in the Arban book
are a good place to start.
Breath control and embouchure development
are the keys to improving your range.
Be sure not to practice too loudly
and rest before you get tired.
Hang in there.

Last edited by homecookin on Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would be better served to ask this question in the Caruso forum
dkwolfe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Morning;

The following links are a few things that have helped me extend my range a bit. It is worth noting that I've only gained a note or two since starting working on these, but everything up to the top of my range has gotten stronger. So while I haven't increased my overall range much, my usable range has changed dramatically.

https://trumpetshed.wordpress.com/2014/07/22/the-greatest-exercise-ever-conceived/
Practice this one with a metronome, and start at 66.

https://joeytartell.com/2016/10/24/the-secret-to-high-notes-part-3/
Make sure to watch all 3 sets of videos.

Those two, combined with working on the Majio book and my regular practice, have done wonders for my playing.

YMMV

D
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Range Development Reply with quote

FivePointer wrote:

I think you (like many others) are overly lip conscious in thinking range is all about the embouchure or lips. The lips can only work with what they are given. It's the air power generated by the blowing muscles and the control of the air via the up and forward arching tongue that causes the lips to vibrate faster, producing higher notes. This becomes more and more true as we get to the higher and higher notes.

Practicing Lip Flexibilites (which are better thought of as Tongue Level Exercises) such as those found in Twenty-Seven Groups of Exercises by Earl D. Irons, the Claude Gordon type range exercises found in his book Systematic Approach to Daily Practice, along with correct use of Herbert L. Clarke's Technical Studies book would point you in the right direction if and only if you practice all the material correctly. That's the part that gets most folks. They have ambition and tenacity, but don't really know what, how and when to practice.

Practicing the correct material correctly as instructed by a great teacher led me to developing a practice range to G above Double High C, but more importantly, it led to the development of my overall playing ability to the point that I have been able to enjoy a wonderful career as a professional trumpet player.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's the air power generated by the blowing muscles and the control of the air via the up and forward arching tongue that causes the lips to vibrate faster, producing higher notes.

It is the state of the lip aperture by control of the muscles that control the lip aperture that determine the frequency of pulsation AND the quality of that tone. This is true whether you are "conscious" of the lips or not.

The air pressure is simply the energy source and has negligible effect on what specific frequency of tone is played. Air primarily influences the loudness of tone.

To the OP: be aware of using excessive effort on lower tones and not having sufficient "headroom" to ascend without running low on strength.

Reduce your effort on the low notes. Develop this first, before you jump into Caruso exercises. Send me a PM and I will give more details.
BBB1976
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Range Development Reply with quote

Hi
Good advice from John Mohan here.
Yes he is absolutely correct re: the air speed etc....
Really is a kind of knack when you discover this.
Indeed, lip flexibilities are important to discover this.
Also, John is correct in saying that people are too lip conscious, and yes it is the air speed and tongue arch which produces the high notes.
Personally, the air speed concept was a big break through for me years ago.
Furthermore, you don't necessarily have to use the CG book as there are others.
Lastly, try to keep a steady flow of air when doing Caruso. My friend Markus Stockhausen says that the embouchure regulates itself with proper development. Also, Markus says that the air and tongue is the secret!! Which relates to what John Mohan was saying.
Try and develop a sensible routine.
Best wishes.
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are practicing the same exercise in the same way everyday you may not be gaining ground. To gain or challenge what we have by approaching our limits in different ways like cross training for a sport is an excellent idea. Here is a playlist that might help with ideas how to challenge your range in different ways. Best, Jon

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjtQbOLXI0BB_2bn5GjxlWCYsEM8DDVTH

Remember this is supposed to be fun.

Last edited by rufflicks on Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
The air pressure is simply the energy source and has negligible effect on what specific frequency of tone is played. Air primarily influences the loudness of tone.

While it's true that air pressure influences the loudness of tone, to say it has "negligible effect on what specific frequency of tone is played" is preposterous, given the fact that every research study conducted on the matter has shown that at a given volume of sound, each octave climb on a brass instrument requires an approximate doubling of the supplied air pressure.

We blow harder to play louder and we blow harder to play higher. How much effect that increased air pressure has on volume vs range depends on how much we arch our tongues and to some extent, how much lip compression is involved. For me, I reach my maximum level of lip/embouchure compression (aka facial muscle tension) about at the point I reach High C. Beyond that, to play even higher I arch my tongue up and forward more and blow even harder.

kalijah wrote:

To the OP: be aware of using excessive effort on lower tones and not having sufficient "headroom" to ascend without running low on strength.

Reduce your effort on the low notes.

I think the above quote represents very good advice.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
given the fact that every research study conducted on the matter has shown that at a given volume of sound, each octave climb on a brass instrument requires an approximate doubling of the supplied air pressure.

That is no proof that the air pressure determined the frequency.

The aperture, as it becomes smaller to ascend and pulsate at higher frequency, also increases its self-resistance dramatically. This requires more supplied pressure as more pressure is lost due to the greater resistance AND to maintain enough flow through the smaller aperture for the loudness required.

The pressure does not CAUSE the pitch frequency. It determines the loudness ONCE the embouchure is set for a particular tone.

BB1976 wrote:
Quote:
and yes it is the air speed and tongue arch which produces the high notes.

It is the state of the aperture that determines the frequency of tone played.

Instantaneous air velocity thru the aperture actually varies during the vibrational cycle. Average air velocity can vary with loudness on a constant pitch. (Easily disproving that one can correlate air speed, flow or pressure to pitch.)

The tongue moves depending on what particular lip muscles are doing or are required to do. There is a functional link. Moving the tongue alone will produce nothing.
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darryl how do we control the aperture or create the correct aperture for any give frequency?

High note players talk about unfurling this would seem counter to a smaller aperture as we ascend . Please help me understand.

Best, Jon

Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Range Development Reply with quote

FivePointer wrote:
For the past two years I have been trying to play more consistently B above the staff and high C. I have been using the Caruso Method to develop my embouchure and have been doing this on a daily basis. I have been methodical and patient with this method. I was doing well and making good progress but now I seem to be hitting a wall and feel as though I am regressing. "B" has always been a problem. I did the slurs in Caruso with a metronome every day. Is this too much, perhaps? Should I do these exercises every other day? Should I not try to develop range and go back to just play mid- range and the range will take care of itself?

If you are topping out at B your sound is probably beginning to change at about G. Listen carefully as you play a chromatic scale from F to B and note where the sound begins to change.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Darryl how do we control the aperture or create the correct aperture for any give frequency?

Creating tone is a craft and requires skill through talent and practice. The muscles around the lips and the jaw/teeth position are the elements that control the aperture posture.

Quote:
High note players talk about unfurling this would seem counter to a smaller aperture as we ascend . Please help me understand.

There is no change to the aperture toward "larger" or "looser" that would result in a higher pitch.

There are certain mental approaches and actions that achieve the changes to ascend that do not OVER-close or over-tighten the aperture.

If by "unfurling" you are referring to drawing the inner-corners and rolling-out. This is a common action to ascend. It also requires the tongue to move forward more drastically to be comfortable and coordinated. In any case it is an increase in the muscular action around the aperture.

Personally, as a mental approach, I use the roll-in and roll-out actions in tandem to ascend. Requiring less of each than rolling-out (inner corners) alone. This is a "firmness" approach rather than dominantly size. I also use the natural state and natural elasticity of the lips with the minimum muscular involvement in the low range. This give "headroom" when the muscles are enlisted to ascend to a higher pitch.
FivePointer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Range Development Reply with quote

Thanks to all for taking the time to responsd. The trumpet is such a vast world! I am finding out stone the problem may be the horn itself. I am checking into it. But I gave much to learn from you guys!
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Range Development Reply with quote

FivePointer wrote:

Caruso is essentially an exercise related range development system. Although it supporters and practicioners would probably be insulted by that description. They would probably insist it be called an over all development brass system. Okay fine.

There exist problems with purely exercise emphasized systems. Chris LaBarbera explained this to me well once. Let's say you were a track & field coach who observed a member of his college team running the 800 meters by landing upon his heels. Not his toes or the balls of his feet as is usually recommended.

You point out to the runner that he'll never win any races until he stops running on his heels. But instead of accrpting your obvious advice he points to a book on running which emphatically states that he only needs to concentrate on his breathing and timing. His book not even mentioning the feet or leg landing position.

Try as he might the kid keeps running on his heels. While his performance does improve marginally the other kids still run laps past him.

Its a ridiculous comparison of course. Because only an idiot would refuse to take common sense advice and continue running in such a backwards system. However it is easy for us to see the yoing man running on his heels. So of course no one would allow himself to continue running with such an inherently grave fault.

However on high note trumpet playing we can not see the inner workings of our chops. So a grave embouchure fault like not maintaining the two aperture theory is not noticeable from the outside. Also this trumpet player with a defective or misaligned chop setting will usually sound pretty good up to a second ledger line A natural. Or maybe even the high C to D. Meanwhile we have no idea that he is (metaphorically speaking) "running on his heels".

Conversely if a trumpet player has no major embouchure or breathing dysfunctions? Then Caruso would work great. I'll tell you this though,

Back in the mid to late 1970's I met a number of Caruso students from New England. Now Carmine Caruso was a most charismatic and positive personality. Thus his students truly believed in him. This attraction which Caruso had may have been his most helpful characteristic. As he helped young trumpet players learn to really believe in themselves.

Having said all that? I suggest that if you really think Caruso is the one and only brass development system? Go out and actuallt listen to some of this system's major proponents. I wont mention them by name but let me tell you this,

A lot of them really can play very high notes with good control and endurance. However most of them have puny sounds above the staff. Put one of these fellows next to me in a trumpet section?

And you'll never hear him. Not unless he puts a microphone directly in front of his bell. No exaggeration here. Chris was telling me about one guy who's been heavily into Caruso for over forty years. To his credit he's really got his high notes down. Save and except that you'll never hear him unless that microphone is practically stuck like a straight mute down the bell of his horn.

He is kind of a source of amusement to us lol. However his results certainly are musical. No doubt about that. And we dont like to mention his name publicly because he is a hood fellow. That and he gets other musicians lots of gigs.

I csn concur with Chris about the fellow in question. As I know him personally too. He always has his horn on the mike. Stuck almost like a straight mute down the bell lol! Even in a small nightclub. And this small sound above high C is common to Caruso advocates. One of the very first whom I met (they were all over the place in 1975 - 1980 in New England) was able to play clear up to Triple C. A note which I cant even play today. Not except for on wigged out chop settings. However this Caruso advocate simply could not blow a solid double forte anywhere above high C. Period. And often not even a single f or "forte". With some notable exceptions these volume problems are often the rule with Caruso. In part this is due to it being a largely exercise only methodology. Because it does not explore the physics of the blow and the common defects in embouchure usage? Caruso is not prepared to help trumpet players eliminate their defective embouchure settings and facial muscle motions. Their advocates are typically "running on their heels".

Or in the literal sense? Many Caruso system advocates effectively "playing on their teeth". Not their lips.

Now in defense of Caruso? If you have no defective chop settings or counter-productive chop motions? Then Caruso is a fantastic system. One of the best. However the analysis I described isn't a part of the Caruso system methodology.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Range Development Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:
FivePointer wrote:

Caruso is essentially an exercise related range development system. Although it supporters and practicioners would probably be insulted by that description. They would probably insist it be called an over all development brass system. Okay fine.

There exist problems with purely exercise emphasized systems. Chris LaBarbera explained this to me well once. Let's say you were a track & field coach who observed a member of his college team running the 800 meters by landing upon his heels. Not his toes or the balls of his feet as is usually recommended.

You point out to the runner that he'll never win any races until he stops running on his heels. But instead of accrpting your obvious advice he points to a book on running which emphatically states that he only needs to concentrate on his breathing and timing. His book not even mentioning the feet or leg landing position.

Try as he might the kid keeps running on his heels. While his performance does improve marginally the other kids still run laps past him.

Its a ridiculous comparison of course. Because only an idiot would refuse to take common sense advice and continue running in such a backwards system. However it is easy for us to see the yoing man running on his heels. So of course no one would allow himself to continue running with such an inherently grave fault.

However on high note trumpet playing we can not see the inner workings of our chops. So a grave embouchure fault like not maintaining the two aperture theory is not noticeable from the outside. Also this trumpet player with a defective or misaligned chop setting will usually sound pretty good up to a second ledger line A natural. Or maybe even the high C to D. Meanwhile we have no idea that he is (metaphorically speaking) "running on his heels".

Conversely if a trumpet player has no major embouchure or breathing dysfunctions? Then Caruso would work great. I'll tell you this though,

Back in the mid to late 1970's I met a number of Caruso students from New England. Now Carmine Caruso was a most charismatic and positive personality. Thus his students truly believed in him. This attraction which Caruso had may have been his most helpful characteristic. As he helped young trumpet players learn to really believe in themselves.

Having said all that? I suggest that if you really think Caruso is the one and only brass development system? Go out and actuallt listen to some of this system's major proponents. I wont mention them by name but let me tell you this,

A lot of them really can play very high notes with good control and endurance. However most of them have puny sounds above the staff. Put one of these fellows next to me in a trumpet section?

And you'll never hear him. Not unless he puts a microphone directly in front of his bell. No exaggeration here. Chris was telling me about one guy who's been heavily into Caruso for over forty years. To his credit he's really got his high notes down. Save and except that you'll never hear him unless that microphone is practically stuck like a straight mute down the bell of his horn.

He is kind of a source of amusement to us lol. However his results certainly are musical. No doubt about that. And we dont like to mention his name publicly because he is a hood fellow. That and he gets other musicians lots of gigs.

I csn concur with Chris about the fellow in question. As I know him personally too. He always has his horn on the mike. Stuck almost like a straight mute down the bell lol! Even in a small nightclub. And this small sound above high C is common to Caruso advocates. One of the very first whom I met (they were all over the place in 1975 - 1980 in New England) was able to play clear up to Triple C. A note which I cant even play today. Not except for on wigged out chop settings. However this Caruso advocate simply could not blow a solid double forte anywhere above high C. Period. And often not even a single f or "forte". With some notable exceptions these volume problems are often the rule with Caruso. In part this is due to it being a largely exercise only methodology. Because it does not explore the physics of the blow and the common defects in embouchure usage? Caruso is not prepared to help trumpet players eliminate their defective embouchure settings and facial muscle motions. Their advocates are typically "running on their heels".

Or in the literal sense? Many Caruso system advocates effectively "playing on their teeth". Not their lips.

Now in defense of Caruso? If you have no defective chop settings or counter-productive chop motions? Then Caruso is a fantastic system. One of the best. However the analysis I described isn't a part of the Caruso system methodology.

Amazing that someone who has probably not used the Caruso Exercises can try to sound like an expert on them.
I might ask Lionel to look at the names of some of Carmine's students. Lew Soloff, Marvin Stamm, Laurie Frink, Joe Shepley and both Findley Brothers.
They are/were all very powerful players who don't need to bury their horns into a microphone. I wonder what would happen if they sat next to you?
I studied with Carmine as well as one of his former students. I don't think that makes me an expert. I do know this. The best I have ever played were the years that I did the Caruso Routines. Range was only one part of the benefits.
Caruso is not and never has been a range system. Seven years of study with the man himself and one of his prize pupils qualifies me to say that.
Get your facts straight the next time you want to bash Caruso's time honored routines. Better yet, try practicing the routines for a few years and get back to us!
t
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darryl,

It seems to me that we typically describe the larger movements that control the aperture as concentration on just moving the aperture is nearly impossible.
“The muscles around the lips and the jaw/teeth position are the elements that control the aperture posture”.
This would imply understanding and manipulating these larger elements produces the end result of correct aperture involvement. Without understanding these, the aperture is unable to describe proper placement. As a result we then describe motions that support the aperture and thus frequency. (A mater of Semantics to me)

It is our body that controls pitch; the sum of the parts not just a single point. Without the correct adjustments of mouth and air support accurate pitch reproduction will not be achieved. Air is obviously a component as we are creating the vibration of the lips with air.

I have experimented with using a very weak or minimal amount of air support. When employing this methodology the only way I can sound a double C is through a motion in my throat and mouth that momentarily achieves correct pitch. Try as I might I find it impossible to produce correct pitch with a quality tone without engaging air support.

Though not hooked up to electrodes I certainly am aware of my energy level or amount of exertion as I play. I find myself engaging more energy from my air support mechanism as I ascend. I am able to produce a mp high C with minimal engagement from my air support mechanism. Once I go above High C I need more support/energy to activate the frequencies.

Going from high F to double C requires even grater engagement or energy. I find it difficult to separate air engagement from upper register success. I find it difficult to believe that air pressure or greater energy is not required to produce the higher frequencies. I do not debate that it has “negligible effect on what specific frequency”, specific being absolute. My own experience is that I simply use more energy to produce higher notes at the same volume as lower notes.

Is there a greater pressure requirement to produce the higher frequencies at the same volume as lower notes? Are the higher frequencies naturally softer so the air component is a compensation for volume and not pitch?

Best, Jon

MusicByThePound

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me....
The more I think about how to play the trumpet the more confused I get and the worse my playing gets. I find, good, fundamental, proper playing, with rest, is the best! Whatever that is to you (Clarke, Schlossberg, Colin, some Caruso maybe, Saint-Jacombe). Just do it and results will come naturally over time because you are doing the right thing. Yes, like magic!

For range development, what works best for me is to play Clarke studies. Mostly 1-2-3, as high as I can go. At least one exercise per day, every day. And mostly 1-3 because the rest are really hard for me but you are better than me so go for them- they won't let you down.

Even if I maybe can't play them very high today vs. yesterday, for whatever reason, it pays off tomorrow at the gig. Just keep your head down and play them. You will practice yourself into high range and good embouchure.

In hindsight, I think the reason is...playing the many repeats over and over, trains and firms the corners. A few months ago I was watching one of those Arturo University You Tube videos with Wayne B. and he says something about how important maintaining firm corners are for his playing thru practice and days off. I never understood this but light bulb went off over my head and I connected the dots from that statement to the GENIUS of H.L. Clarke and why playing them works for me.

When people ask, if you could go back in time and meet one person in history who would it be...My answer is Herbert Clarke. Heavy Dude!
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there a greater pressure requirement to produce the higher frequencies at the same volume as lower notes?

In general, yes. But how much greater depends on the player's skill, The equipment, etc. It is not the same for every player.

Quote:
Are the higher frequencies naturally softer so the air component is a compensation for volume and not pitch?

To some degree yes. The ascending resonances ARE progressively weaker above a certain point and this does affect loudness. But in addition to that; air power loss is progressively increased as the aperture becomes smaller. (Not to mention; how excessive arching can also increase the loss of air power.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: