• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

37 Weeks to Double High C?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scout95

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: 37 Weeks to Double High C? Reply with quote

I am currently going through Spaulding's 37 Weeks to Double High C and I'm struggling. I am up to day 57 and am supposed to be able to reach high G but can only get to about E. Is this normal? If you have done through the book I am very curious about your experiences.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe he says go as high in the series of notes as as you can. That you are supposed to do the book several times, so in later iterations, you've got time to expand your range. In other words, you don't have to do everything the first time, do you?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Scout95

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am unsure, I know the book is meant to be gone through 4 times total so maybe its just going for the notes and more range will develop as it goes on?
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't gone through that book, but can tell you that forcing notes beyond your playable range just because they're printed on the page is a recipe for failure. You'll pick up bad habits that will affect your long-term potential. Commonsense dictates you play an exercise as high as you reasonably can with good sound and moderate effort. Using excessive arm pressure and closing off the throat in an attempt to make more compression are common traps people fall into when doing range building exercises. Building a reliable upper register is a marathon, not a sprint. You need to rethink the approach if you find yourself falling into bad habits for the sake of squeezing out one more note. Playing through the book multiple times, avoiding bad habits will provide the slow steady progress that makes for good long-term development.
Holton MF3
Lead Trumpet - My Basement Jazz Orchestra
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used portions of that book in high school, over the course of about 18 months went from a weak D above the staff to a useable G. I really don’t know how much of the range increase was from the material, and how much of the increase was because that was about the time I became a serious student and started practicing three or more hours daily. I will say it certainly did not happen in 37 weeks, but then again, I was just using portions of the book under the direction of my private teacher.

Brad
epoustoufle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, there are embouchures and mechanical issues that will prevent people from reaching even a high C. Those posting on this forum are already a rarified bunch of trumpet players - let's keep it real, guys who can play a high C reliably are already in the upper percentiles.

37 weeks on a defective embouchure will lead you nowhere special. If that is not addressed - and again keeping it real, it's very hard to know if you're in the unlucky camp of players with a decent sounding but defective embouchure - then you will not get your "double C" in 37, 72 or even 370 weeks of excercises.

I'm just posting this here to keep expectations realistic. Yes, probably anyone can probably get a double C range but not by simply following a book of excercies. You need all your mechanics lined up properly first.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, some years ago I got a copy of that book and tried it. However, I found something that worked better for me. I had gigs a could not do as he says, no gigs and no other playing. Here’s what I did. Since this method was similar to another method, I got my old copy of Claude Gordon’s Systematic Approach and got a good online teach, Jeff Purtle, and went to work. I found this to be a better approach as you are also using Clark, Colin, Williams, Smith, etc. I found it more a balanced and better approach. This worked for me. I did make some headway with the Spaulding, but something just seemed lacking or missing.
Hope this helps,
Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not the order of notes or studies. It is learning the technique required to play in the upper register. A qualified teacher is extremely valuable. Here is a play list that might help a bit though it should not replace one on one study.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjtQbOLXI0BB_2bn5GjxlWCYsEM8DDVTH

Best, Jon

Remember this is supposed to be fun.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally regard this

rufflicks wrote:
It is not the order of notes or studies. It is learning the technique required to play in the upper register.

and this

epoustoufle wrote:
37 weeks on a defective embouchure will lead you nowhere special.

to be different ways of stating an important, fundamental axiom. I think most "methods" are based on a hope that you'll eventually fall into adjustments to facilitate higher notes even if unconsciously - which might work for some people. I know for myself I didn't make a significant jump in my range until I changed the mechanics of what I was doing. It wasn't the result of endless exercises and reaching some magic threshold of "strength".
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: 37 Weeks to Double High C? Reply with quote

Scout95 wrote:
I am currently going through Spaulding's 37 Weeks to Double High C and I'm struggling. I am up to day 57 and am supposed to be able to reach high G but can only get to about E. Is this normal? If you have done through the book I am very curious about your experiences.

Ask yourself this question,

"What if the movements I'm making with my breath support and embouchure function eliminate the possibility of attaining certain high notes"? And,

"What adjustments must I make that will allow me to blow past and above. my range ceiling"?

When Spaulding wrote that book I was still in grade school. At that time the function of embouchure was not clearly understood. In fact from some of the literature I read even today its apparent that many teachers and authors still dont know the basics of embouchure function.

Thus if some part of your body is out of alignment? Either chops or breath support? You're simply not going to defeat a cut-off point. Not anymore than im going to outdrive John Daly or Fred Couples by this Sunday.

Physics matter. Spaulding's book does not adequately address the physics. So results are going to be hit or miss. Also, pedal tone books do not help everyone. For me? They helped a lot.

Brisbois however couldnt use the pedals. He exclaimed that they kinda screwed him up for a while.

However once you remove physical barriers to range development? You may find a near instant success at removing your limitation. Thus these two statements are true,

A. If a physical impediment to range development exists in your embouchure or breath support? You can practice Spaulding's book for 37 years and not add even one note to your range. And,

B. As soon as you identify and correct your inadequate embouchure or breath support function? You may just bounce up to an ear splitting double C within minutes.

Range tends to arrive in huge chunks. I like to call them "high note downloads".

One day you couldnt blow a high F to save your life. Not even squeak the damned note.

Next day you're blowing the high G and A so loud that the neighbors down the street complain to the cops.

I have seen both types many times in my life. Certain friends of mine are in their late fifties and early sixties. Not once have they ever gotten a solid sound on a high F. They've given up on high notes many years ago and have essentially "rehearsed their limitations" for so long that they've become permanent. I used to try and help them but now I only talk about sports or pretty women around them. Tell some jokes too. Because they are unteachable and will only resent my ideas and instructions.

Secondly I have given just a few basic pointers to some fellows here and there. Once in a while almost immediately he starts bombing fantastic high G's and above. Doesnt happen every time. However much of his success depends upon him understanding why he has a range limitation. Look at it this way,

Let's say you practice Spaulding. Or Caruso for that matter but you have an embouchure dysfunction similar to a track & field runner who runs on his heels instead of his toes. Well of course we'd never allow our athlete to run on his heels. Because he'd look so ridiculous.

However a serious embouchure dysfunction does not usually appear from the outside. In fact it usually occurs well inside the mouth cavity. Where the teeth intersect. And yet if this chop malady isnt identified and corrected? He will be just like the athlete who runs on his heels. Last place finish every time.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
gabriel127
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If practicing the routines in that book was really all that is required to become a double-c player, everyone would have a double-c and that book would be as standard as the Arban's.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epoustoufle wrote:
I have to say, there are embouchures and mechanical issues that will prevent people from reaching even a high C. Those posting on this forum are already a rarified bunch of trumpet players - let's keep it real, guys who can play a high C reliably are already in the upper percentiles.

I don’t know, that seems inaccurate to me. I do agree that especially younger players sometimes put too much emphasis on upper register, but I would not consider anyone with a reliable C above the staff to be “upper percentile.”

Brad
Scout95

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of the responses I am reading is that the lack of high range comes from my underdeveloped or improper embouchure. My embouchure is quite consistent and produces a full sound in all registers that I am physically able to play. My question may have been worded to the wrong answer I was looking for. I am wondering if it should be taken as more of your own pace or keep pushing for the high notes even though they are not coming out. Thoughts?
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scout95 wrote:
Many of the responses I am reading is that the lack of high range comes from my underdeveloped or improper embouchure. My embouchure is quite consistent and produces a full sound in all registers that I am physically able to play. My question may have been worded to the wrong answer I was looking for. I am wondering if it should be taken as more of your own pace or keep pushing for the high notes even though they are not coming out. Thoughts?

Re your last sentence: in Claude Gordon’s Systematic Approach To Daily Practice, there is a series of exercises early in the book where he says make no more than three attempts to get to the highest notes. Maybe apply that advice.

Brad
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scout95 wrote:
I am wondering if it should be taken as more of your own pace or keep pushing for the high notes even though they are not coming out. Thoughts?

Most credible approaches direct you to play a range building exercise up to the note you miss, then try up to two more times, after which you're done. The second and third attempts should exclude using excessive arm pressure, no upper body or throat tension, etc. Forcing out a poor sounding strained note isn't the objective. Letting your body slowly adapt to playing beyond your current range in an efficient manner is the goal. Abusing your chops along the way will only hinder your progress.
Holton MF3
Lead Trumpet - My Basement Jazz Orchestra
Oldpipesandchops

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
I personally regard this

rufflicks wrote:
It is not the order of notes or studies. It is learning the technique required to play in the upper register.

and this

epoustoufle wrote:
37 weeks on a defective embouchure will lead you nowhere special.

to be different ways of stating an important, fundamental axiom. I think most "methods" are based on a hope that you'll eventually fall into adjustments to facilitate higher notes even if unconsciously - which might work for some people. I know for myself I didn't make a significant jump in my range until I changed the mechanics of what I was doing. It wasn't the result of endless exercises and reaching some magic threshold of "strength".

Nice points and I agree... at 54 I'm still undoing bad & working on new, good mechanics...
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the book. As I was introduced to it, the exercises, just themselves, were similar to those found in Maggio and Gordon without the time-framed pattern. The exercises, in themselves, are fine.

You already have it, so I would just go ahead and use the exercises but add others from Clarke, Schlossberg and Arban or Franquin or St. Jacome.

But as has been said, it's all for naught if your embouchure and air usage is faulty. I'm living proof of that. All the "right" exercises in the world won't help of you're embouchure is wrong. And don't try to take too much too soon. Play the exercises only up to your comfort level.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
shakuhachi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Scout95:
you are at day 57 and miss the high G? Don't hasitate! But there are better options - see later.

1. I have run through that procedure in 2012 nearly consequently which is most unusual for most students - why? Because you have to to it exclusively and exactly. Most Students don't like an exclusive drill over such a long time without playing music. Other methods take 52 weeks (CG) but are more musical.

2. Most ideas are found in every other method as well for example: "rest as long as the played phrase", slured and tongued scales and chromatics and arpeggios - except the "every other day" thing in the first and third run through the book: as you know, the first and third run thru the book are every other day - that is why the exercises are odd numbered day 1,3,5,7....up to 79 - you are first run day 57? The second and fourth run are every day: 1st on day one, 3rd on day two.....! So you have 4 runs thru the stuff: first and third to build up muscles and second and fourth to define them.

3. The "every other day" thing was my main trigger choosing that method because I have knownd the principles of body building very well at that time. This is all well regarding strength building - today I would say: no strength required regarding embouchure at all - but regarding diaphragm of course. Because of that I am not an advocate of lip strengthening any more (Pencil, Expander etc.). The lips only have to be ready for vibration.

4. So you have to play each exercise only to the highest note you can get at a time. If you miss at a second try continue next exercise. You will see in the fourth run all will be much better!

5. You will see, that the time needed each day rises from half an hour to over 4 hours from day 1 to day 79 in each run. That is a lot!

....have I reached "double c" after the fourth run? Yes I did - but I did not own the high Register. May be because I changed mouthpieces twice, may be I often reduced the 4 hours to 2 hours. And I don't used the daily maintenance exercises after finishing - they would have occupied another 2 hours per day.

anyway: there are better options today:

Lynn Nicholson's MHM (Mindless Hardware Methodology) - by the way Spaulding as well endorsed a v-Cup for his method.

One don't need hours each day to prepare for high notes. Keep relaxed and Play Music up there.
deleted_user_fdb91a0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not take 37 weeks to play a double C. Range is not evolutionary.

A book of exercises will not get you there. It requires very little muscle power to play high.

Trying to discover some magical breathing technique will not get you there. It requires very little airflow to play high.

Range is purely a function of efficient embouchure technique, which can be discovered in about 37 seconds.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think "37 Weeks" is just a brilliant marketing catch phrase. After all, we've used it as a mantra for several decades now. While what is said above may be true, it shouldn't be overlooked that this is still a good set of exercises, in and of itself.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: