• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

37 Weeks to Double High C?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_fdb91a0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This then begs the question...why is anyone approaching the trumpet as if it is something that requires "exercise" in order to perform well?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drewwilkie86 wrote:
This then begs the question...why is anyone approaching the trumpet as if it is something that requires "exercise" in order to perform well?

You can make up your own exercises and practice them.

The problem is, does one always know, by themselves, what one needs to work on to have balanced work-outs, and does one always know the exercise possibilities, and the results, that have been passed down by the master teachers.

You "don't always know what you don't know". Many of us aren't that insightful.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
epoustoufle wrote:
I have to say, there are embouchures and mechanical issues that will prevent people from reaching even a high C. Those posting on this forum are already a rarified bunch of trumpet players - let's keep it real, guys who can play a high C reliably are already in the upper percentiles.

I don’t know, that seems inaccurate to me. I do agree that especially younger players sometimes put too much emphasis on upper register, but I would not consider anyone with a reliable C above the staff to be “upper percentile.”

Brad

In my own experience, a good, musical, reliable second ledger line C isn't all that common. A lot of players I encounter can play C sometimes but only in a limited way. The minority of serious players I know own C and a bit higher.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.......[/quote]

I don’t know, that seems inaccurate to me. I do agree that especially younger players sometimes put too much emphasis on upper register, but I would not consider anyone with a reliable C above the staff to be “upper percentile.”

Brad[/quote]
In my own experience, a good, musical, reliable second ledger line C isn't all that common. A lot of players I encounter can play C sometimes but only in a limited way. The minority of serious players I know own C and a bit higher.[/quote]
Really? The first 6 trumpet players in my HS band had a good hi c. The first 4 had it till judgement day. This was in 60’s, is it really unusual now?
Rod
Trapshooter25

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

37 weeks on an incorrect embouchure won't get much, I learned that the hard way!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drewwilkie86 wrote:
It does not take 37 weeks to play a double C. Range is not evolutionary.

A book of exercises will not get you there. It requires very little muscle power to play high.

Trying to discover some magical breathing technique will not get you there. It requires very little airflow to play high.

Range is purely a function of efficient embouchure technique, which can be discovered in about 37 seconds.

Yes, an efficient embouchure is required (as is correct up and forward tongue arch). And it's true, there is very little airflow on high notes. But to say it requires "very little muscle power to play high" is just not true. Research studies have shown that the average fit young adult male can generate about 2.3 Kilopascals of air pressure. It takes about 4 kPa of air pressure to play a full power Double High C. For most people that level of strength needs to be developed over a rather long period of time. Someone who can bench press 140 lbs. but wants to bench press 240 lbs. isn't going to develop that level of strength in a few months (nor in 37 weeks). You yourself are clearly applying a lot of expiratory air pressure (you're blowing hard) on that YouTube video you have up of you playing the ending to Maynard's MacArthur Park (and you sound GREAT on it - love listening to it). As you go up, your neck bulges and you turn read, because you're created very high air pressure with your blowing muscles. Cued up to the Double A:

https://youtu.be/ZvbxZ4ObON0?t=22

(Now everybody go back and listen to the whole thing - it's great).

And my experience in health care tells me you are having a moment of hypotension in your cranium as you release the note and the blood flow back down to your body resumes - you look a little dazed for a moment there.

Best wishes,

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: