• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tp section placement in big bands?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
formerathas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Tp section placement in big bands? Reply with quote

Hello. I guess this topic does not relate to trumpet skills. I have been thinking about it again and again, but I felt that I would not reach to the answer...So please tell me if you know about this confusing problem.

I play the trumpet in the college big band, and I was told that the trumpet section should be placed as "2 1 3 4" (from the audience). I guess that Count Basie Orchestra was in the same way...
However, a few years ago I found that in Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band, they line up like "3 1 2 4." Also I heard from one UK trumpet studio player, that UK players like the same placement.
What I would like to know most is "actually how about Count Basie, Vanguard Jazz Orchestra (Thad Jones - Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra)? And what do you think which placement is better or recommended?"

Thank you.
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The third trumpet player will often times get thrown a lead part. When that happens, he’s already sitting in the middle of the section so the sound/balance out front doesn’t change wildly.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2134 is what I mostly see - that is if the rhythm section is on the left of that.

2 sitting by the rhythm section as that, for many, is the Jazz soloist chair and nice to have them close to the rhythm section. But arrangements are not consistent, some solos in 2, 3, or 4.. then the soloist quite often walks up front to a mic. I like 4123, because most of the band I play with 1 & 2 swap parts more frequently and solos are in 4 or a featured part (1, 2, 3, solo)

I don't think it matters all that much out front, more to the band of where to listen - tradition has the leads of each section lined up so they can connect better.
I just heard a story of why we split the Tenors in the sax section - also from the Basie Band - his tenor player at the time didn't get along, so he split them up.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
gchun01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2134 is pretty standard, but there have been other variations:

Buddy Rich's section was often 3124 since the third book often had the solos. You'd see Greg Gisbert, Chuck Findley, etc standing next to Buddy and the rhythm section.

Kenton's 5-part trumpet section threw a monkey wrench into standardization, with a non-conventional rhythm section setup and "horseshoe" wind setup.

As a lead player, I prefer to have the 2nd on one side of me and the 3rd on the other. I don't care when the 4th is standing next to me. But sometimes you don't have a choice, depending on the situation.

A professional sitdown gig is often different from a college/concert gig where moving positions is often common.

Garry
roccotrumpetsiffredi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does Wynton Marsalis, who ive heard in some interview, plays 4th trumpet go against traditional convention? Does it really matter other than what people are used to, from a sound perspective? I'm pretty sure a strong lead player is equally well heard even if to the left or right a few feet:), no?

Apologies for the terrible sentence flow.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gchun01 wrote:
2134 is pretty standard, but there have been other variations:

Buddy Rich's section was often 3124 since the third book often had the solos. You'd see Greg Gisbert, Chuck Findley, etc standing next to Buddy and the rhythm section.

Kenton's 5-part trumpet section threw a monkey wrench into standardization, with a non-conventional rhythm section setup and "horseshoe" wind setup.

As a lead player, I prefer to have the 2nd on one side of me and the 3rd on the other. I don't care when the 4th is standing next to me. But sometimes you don't have a choice, depending on the situation.

A professional sitdown gig is often different from a college/concert gig where moving positions is often common.

Garry

Same here: 3124 me nr 1: so nr 2 (often solos) to the left. Some smaller scores typically only 3 tpts. Besides that drummer often to the left of the tpt section - so also good for my poor ears.......
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
gchun01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roccotrumpetsiffredi wrote:
So does Wynton Marsalis, who ive heard in some interview, plays 4th trumpet go against traditional convention? Does it really matter other than what people are used to, from a sound perspective? I'm pretty sure a strong lead player is equally well heard even if to the left or right a few feet:), no?

Apologies for the terrible sentence flow.

The goal is to try to get all the lead players (trpt, bone, lead alto) lined up for phrasing purposes. It essentially lines them up to follow the lead trumpet better. And then the sections setup accordingly.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every big band I've ever been a part of was 2134 for the trumpets, but in one instance, rather than putting the barry sax and bass trombone on the far end lined up with the 4th trumpet player, they moved them closer to the rhythm section so they could lock in better. Whether or not it actually helped would be a matter for debate, but it seemed to.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Sailors wrote:

The third trumpet player will often times get thrown a lead part. When that happens, he’s already sitting in the middle of the section so the sound/balance out front doesn’t change wildly.

^^ This.
loweredsixth
Heavyweight Member

Location: Fresno, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. The big band I've been in for a about six years (except this year) sits 4213(5).
gchun01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The type of big band and arranging style will dictate the setup. I think in "a jazz orchestra" like Maria Schneider, the setup is much more critical due to the nuances of the arrangement, especially when the band is NOT playing pedal to the metal volumes. Maria's arrangements had a lot of emphasis on texture.

To add even another setup, Ollie Mitchell's LA "Stereo Band" set up with the rhythm section in the middle, with the horn players on both sides. The music was written Trpt I-left, Trpt II-left; Trpt I-right; Trpt II-right. When Ollie moved to Honolulu, his band rehearsed in a modified Kenton Horseshoe, but often performed with the horns in a single line. It taught us to be flexible.

Whatever works.
oljackboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a jazz player, it is a big advantage to be as close to the rhythm section as is feasible. The point about lining up the lead trumpet, trombone and alto players is also very valid. In my experience, the 2134 setup is the most common.
Ed Hernandez
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2-1-3-4 most common, then again have done 3-1-2-4 which also works in keeping trumpets 2&3 right next to lead for a close tight sound. Having played 2 & 3 I like being close to the lead where I can even feel and see when he takes a breath. There's something about the proximity.
Now having said that, I've seen a pretty good Central Tx Big Band who consistently use 3-2-1-4-5 with much success and from my seat in the audience sounds pretty good.
formerathas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all your comments. I was a little surprised that 2134 seems to be the most popular sequence. But actually I have come to think that 2134 is better than 3124 because the 4th player can hear the closer register from the 3rd player. Perhaps the 3rd player may have trouble listening to the 2nd player, though 3rd player often tends to be in difficult position..
gchun01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I'm playing lead, I prefer being surrounded by the 2nd and 3rd parts. What I try to avoid is being right next to the 4th(or 5th) part. On a lot of arrangements, the distance in voicings it too far for my tastes.
trane1959
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want whomever is going to take the bulk of the solos to be closest to the rythmn section so that when it's solo time they can must comfortably hear each other and interact. Most big bands that would be the second player. In the case of LJCO, Wynton plays 4th, but he's Wynton, and he's improvising. Typically though, 2134 is best as the lead player should be surrounded by the notes that will be most close to them in range.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: