• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Help with someone starting out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coldeye

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Help with someone starting out. Reply with quote

Hello all, absolute beginnner when it comes to anything related to trumpets. This weekend I will be picking up a Yamaha 2320 for $80. Does that sound alright for a beginner like me? I mainly play double bass, so what should I look for? My friend who plays brass won’t be here till Christmas to guide and teach me. The seller says it is in good condition and comes with a hard case. Does that mean i need to get a separate mouthpiece? And any recommendations for a practice mute? Due to my work schedule for a couple of months, all my practicing will be in the middle of the night, don’t want to wake up my apartment neighbors in the middle of the night.

Moderators, if this is not in the right forum, please move it. Thank you.
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a great start,

The downside is you live in an apartment you will be practicing at unreasonable hours and you are just starting out so your practice will be unmusical loud and likely to disturb your neighbors,

Now for the upside, you have wisely chosen a good instrument Yamaha are one of the few makers you can guarantee to be good without having to test. You are getting a practice mute and you are sensitive and respectful.

You really need a teacher someone to set you on the right path.

You can expect a mouthpiece with that instrument, if by chance it doesnt have one then a yamaha anything between an 11c4 to a 14b4 would be fine and a good match for the instrument.

I suggest you put the trumpet away for a couple of months and hold just the mouthpiece in your hand with tissue paper wrapped loosely around the small end that goes in the instrument.

This will allow you to practice making trumpet buzz sounds which is the best start for playing. The tissue paper will act as a muffler. This will neatly overcome the loudness and unmusical issues that make new starters reluctant to practice.

It also will free you from having to learn the valves, you can freely buzz tunes easily. Try to make buzzy noise like a bee with your lips.

When you can make a consistent buzzy noise try to make a scale and then your favorite tunes.

This wont disturb your neighbors and you can do it on the way to work and in any free time anywhere.

Once you can make tunes easily on the mouthpiece the time will have come to put it in the instrument and learn to valve, that is when you will need the practice mute and a teacher and by then you wont be having to practice at night. Your teacher can correct any issues that developed from the early practice buzzing and advise on mutes, things to practice and how to form tones and other issues.

Things will come together for you.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bflatman just offered you some really good advice. Take it. You will be glad you did later on.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, Bflatman offered solid advice..

I'd add that if you are serious about tackling the trumpet, seek a teacher to work with on a regular basis (very important at the beginning) and MAKE time and space to practice (without a practice mute).

Venues to concider: churches, activity centers, schools, your office, back rooms, lunch hour in your car etc - be creative in your finding a space.. i.e, trade a service or support for use of a space - Offer to perform (bass) during church service a couple of times in trade for practice time and space.
You will need to do a little every day (30 minutes) - the trumpet is not a pedestrian instrument, you can't pick it up occassionally and expect to get anywhere.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Coldeye

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the solid advice. Definitely a teacher will be in the works. I know with my double bass experience when i started without a teacher, it was very difficult and advancing was hard. Thankfully in a few months my schedule will be back to normal so lessons will be in order. Also I will be coming to work early (parking area is pretty secluded) to practice about 30mins before work. Practice during lunch time is definitely in the schedule, since i can go to my car then.

Blaftman, i was just trying the practicing with just the mouthpiece, tried to make the raspberry/donald duck sounds as friend instructed me. Very challenging but I won’t give up.

Thank you again for the responses, one thing that I will be carrying from my previous instruments is not to blame the gear for my inadequacies.
GideonT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice mutes have been discussed a lot on the forums and I spent a good few hours combing through many threads about them before I decided to buy a Wallace practice mute. Its the only practice mute I've owned but I can practice in my room even with my newborn brother in the next room and he won't wake up. Got it on eBay for about 67, don't get the $120+ ones.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, starting out primarily practicing with a mute is a really bad way to go. For an established player it's better than nothing for temporary practice situations - unless of course your specific goal at that moment is to practice mute playing.

As a beginner you need to be able to hear and feel the feedback from the open horn. The horn doesn't respond the same way with a mute and further your goal is improving your sound - you're going to be seriously handicapped in both ways with a mute.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would STRONGLY recommend that you do not get a teacher in the 'works' but get one BEFORE you start and start - even if it is buzzing - with them. This way, you have a decent chance of avoiding all the poor habits which normally dog anyone who thinks they can start without guidance...

cheers

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: