• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wedge mp's - did they change your life?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Wedge mp's - did they change your life? Reply with quote

Impressions of wedge mp's if you've tried them. Great? Hate? Eh? Did you give them a fair trial and end up going back to a non-wedge?

What would be good ones to try for

A) More "legit"

B) High/lead

Any other thoughts related to wedges you think are worth mentioning. Pontificate at will.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello,
not my experience, but may help for question relative to lead and legit uses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1auAEGIWSc
best
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't do much for me at all, gave up on them after a few months (both times).

I can see what he's driving at and the quality of the pieces themselves is excellent, but it didn't do it for me - I strongly suspect it's something you just have to take the plunge and try for yourself.
trumpet2012fhl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my story with the Wedge mouthpieces.

I first heard about them many years ago when Dave first started the company up and was showing them at a TMEA conference in San Antonio. At the time I was starting my mouthpiece search. My father (a band director and fellow trumpet player) purchased one for us to try. He hated it. He has been happy with his Marcinkiewicz for almost 40 years now. I on the other hand, thought that it was at least different. Way better than the Bach 5c I was on at the time. It was my dedicated mouthpiece for almost 3 years. Here are some of the things I noticed:

- I learned to control the corners more. I still go back to it every once and a while when I haven't played in a week or so to retrain them.

- It helps with no pressure. In fact, a student of mine that has braces tried it out for a while and loved it. He said that he felt no pain from his braces unlike all the other mpcs he's tried.

- It did mess with my tunning a bit. I noticed that on 4th line D it was extremely flat. Could just be me though.

- I felt I could play at the far ends of the dynamic spectrum easier without feeling like the note was going to either die off or if I was playing loud get a spread sound.

As far as if I would suggest them. I would give them a shot. In fact, you could buy the plastic cup that he sales, put it on a Warburton backbore, and see if you like the feel of it, then buy a metal one if it is right for you.

P.S. Before anyone asks, the only reason I switched is that I found out about GR mouthpieces and I bit the bullet and got fitted for one. It has been my primary player ever since.
gjarrell
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change my life...no. I have made significant improvement with them however. I don't claim that that's wholly attributable to the mouthpiece. I believe it's more to do with practice, incorporating ideas from masters, going back to basics, concentrating on tone production, long tones, and Clarke # 1. I also think that if it's good enough for Brandon Ridenour, it's good enough for me. I don't see me going back to anything conventional. And it's not about extending range, although that has happened. They are very good mouthpieces and pricey. If you're going to experiment, buy a delrin or acrylic top, and use a complementary backbore. Expecting a miracle is ridiculous (as much as playing a Committee makes you Miles Davis). Many have paid a hefty price for that expectation with Monette mouthpieces as well, including me.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjarrell wrote:
Change my life...no. I have made significant improvement with them however. I don't claim that that's wholly attributable to the mouthpiece. I believe it's more to do with practice, incorporating ideas from masters, going back to basics, concentrating on tone production, long tones, and Clarke # 1. I also think that if it's good enough for Brandon Ridenour, it's good enough for me. I don't see me going back to anything conventional. And it's not about extending range, although that has happened. They are very good mouthpieces and pricey. If you're going to experiment, buy a delrin or acrylic top, and use a complementary backbore. Expecting a miracle is ridiculous (as much as playing a Committee makes you Miles Davis). Many have paid a hefty price for that expectation with Monette mouthpieces as well, including me.

Not meaning to pick on you specifically but I see this "if it's good enough for so-and-so it's good enough for me" line all the time, and it's utter rubbish.... It's not a case of it being good enough, it's s case of it being appropriate for your personal requirements and abilities, which are naturally very likely to be different to a favourite pro.
A Mt Vernon 3c might have been good enough for most of Arturo's career, but either it's not good enough for me or I'm not good enough for it - it doesn't really matter which, it simply doesn't suit me and so I use something else.
gabriel127
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried one and it's a great mouthpiece. Here's the thing, though: I play it horizontally and it works great for me. When I place it vertically, which is the prescribed way, it's terrible for me, I can't play it.

I think it's a great idea to have a mouthpiece that is not flat and not circular because let's face it, our teeth are formed in an arch. As most of us have one kind of tooth irregularity or another, it doesn't seem logical to take something that is flat in design and try to make it work with teeth that aren't flat. For me, placing the mouthpiece horizontally is more comfortable and the mouthpiece seems to seal the corners for me. When I place it vertically, the rim feels as though it's poking me in the upper and lower gums, and is actually painful. If I had to choose between placing it vertically or using a conventional mouthpiece, I'd choose the conventional mouthpiece. But placing it horizontally works wonders for me. I recall seeing a video of Rick Baptist trying a wedge vertically, not liking it and briefly trying it horizontally and liking it better and saying, "can I use it this way?" My answer is, yes, do whatever works better for you.

The one thing that needs to be adhered to is to always place the mouthpiece in the receiver exactly in the same orientation every time, even if this means scribing a little mark on the receiver to align it. If you don't orient the mp in the receiver identically every single time, that means that you probably won't be positioning it on your chops exactly the same way every single time because don't forget the mouthpiece is oval in nature, not round. So to avoid issues with inconsistent placement, this is critical. It also means that the horn must be held at the same angle all of the time. And the angle I'm talking about is not about whether the horn from mouthpiece to bell is parallel with the floor, I'm talking about whether or not the valves are perfectly perpendicular to the floor, or tilted slightly to the side.

I think a lot of people who try things that are unconventional give up too easily and don't give them a chance. But it's worth a try and less financially risky to try with the plastic top first.

Another great thing about the wedge is that Dave offers an angled rim, which gives the effect of a bent mouthpiece for those who play at a downward angle without bending the mouthpiece, which doesn't look right and probably alters resistance. I remember seeing a picture of Chuck Findley with some wedge mouthpieces with the angled rim.
gjarrell
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your viewpoint TKSop...just FYI, I don't play the Ridenour model and never intended to. I've used a 1C for years and that's what I still play in Wedge format. I took the plunge and stayed in the pool long enough to make an informed decision about using them.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjarrell wrote:
I understand your viewpoint TKSop...just FYI, I don't play the Ridenour model and never intended to. I've used a 1C for years and that's what I still play in Wedge format. I took the plunge and stayed in the pool long enough to make an informed decision about using them.

Excellent, glad to hear it's working well for you

(I just hate that "good enough for ___" line )
jazzjezz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from a Marcinkiewicz Proline B1 to a Wedge Ridenour B1.5C.

I'm still playing the Wedge at least a year in.

It wasn't a revelation, I hardly noticed the change in feel, but with a more focused practice regime, and factoring in the use of a PETE (I'm a sucker for gadgets) my range, ease of playing, and ability to play musically is the best its ever been.

Whats the major factor? Probably the practise - but I don't feel that the mouthpiece has hindered, and it has possibly helped...
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried one several years back. It did not work of me but though it was interesting and could see that it might for some. Cant imagine one offering enormous gains. Best, Jon

Remember this is supposed to be fun.
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Wedge mp's - did they change your life? Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
Impressions of wedge mp's if you've tried them. Great? Hate? Eh? Did you give them a fair trial and end up going back to a non-wedge?

What would be good ones to try for

A) More "legit"

B) High/lead

Any other thoughts related to wedges you think are worth mentioning. Pontificate at will.

IMnsHO, the best one to try would be the one Dave recommends. I told him what I was using, and what worked and didn't work on my last mouthpiece safari, and his recommendation was spot on.

Using a Wedge caused me to change my embouchure slightly. Not necessarily a bad thing; my embouchure became a little bit more like a "balanced embouchure". Getting the right placement (position) is critical.

What I hadn't noticed before using a Wedge is that I rotate my horn frequently while playing. I was constantly re-adjusting the mouthpiece to keep it vertical on my face.

I did not notice any radical change in range or endurance. I'm not still using it - because of the rotation thing. I am tempted to take it out and try it every now and then - I'm not sending it back.

Gary.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know someone who swears by wedge mp's?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
Does anyone know someone who swears by wedge mp's?

http://www.wedgemouthpiece.com/testimonials/

http://www.wedgemouthpiece.com/endorsing-artists/
mcnairg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny that you've started this thread because I was thinking of starting one just this morning! I decided to try the Wedge back in June. I filled out the fitting questionnaire and exchanged emails with Dr. Dave and I was on my way. I now play the 66S and 66MV (the S is my main piece and the MV when I want a more orchestral sound). Everything the website promised I've achieved in fairly short order. My usable range when from high D to double G, my articulations were cleaner, flexibilities smoother, and my low range full. Moreover, it's the most comfortable mouthpiece I've ever played and my endurance improved as well. My corners are stronger and the mouthpiece feels really secure on my face, even though I don't use much pressure. I received the benefits I've described within the first few weeks and it just gets better and better the more I play it. And here's what might clench it for you: you really can trying it out for three months and if you're not happy you just pay to have it shipped back! I tried several and different backbores until I found the right combinations. The experimentation cost me $24! So if you're the least bit curious you should definitely give the Wedge a try. Like every other thing about trumpet how you respond depends on the individual, but if it costs little to try you might as well do so. I will also say that I can play on non-Wedges just like I used to so using it hasn't warped my embouchure in some strange way.
cjborg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not an experienced or accomplished player, so my personal experience must be tempered with that proviso. After a 25-year hiatus, I picked up my trumpet again but wanted to move to cornet for the mellower sound and greater versatility in more intimate settings, such as accompanying hymns and playing interludes in church. I bought a couple of cornets off eBay, and tried a bazillion cornet mouthpieces from a friend, Nick DeCarlis, but saw the Wedge online and decided to give it a try.

It took me a few weeks to adjust to the Wedge, but since (about 4 years ago), I have played almost exclusively on Wedge mouthpieces on cornet and trumpet (and Ive gone a bit beyond the church setting . . . but hey, Sundays are too infrequent for having fun, right?). I have one conventional trumpet mouthpiece that I like very much and dont have a Wedge replacement for, but would love one Steve Dillards HT3C mouthpiece (www.Horntrader.com - he now offers several variations).

I have no problem switching back to a conventional mouthpiece; everything feels solid and although Im on the wrong end of the horn to say whether tone is better or not on the Wedge, my tone still seems OK to me on a conventional mouthpiece of comparable size. However, besides the obvious difference in the feel of the conventional mouthpiece on the embouchure compared to the Wedge, after a few minutes of playing on a conventional mpc, I begin to notice that the corners feel restricted. My range and endurance are compromised a bit on the conventional mpc compared to a Wedge.

Ive recently changed to a more forward, Maggio-Style embouchure, and it seems this accentuates the difference between the Wedge and conventional mpc; I now rely on the corners even more, and the extra space provided by the Wedge helps even more.

The single performance negative to the Wedge is that I cant change mpcs as rapidly in the middle of a piece because of the required orientation; I definitely use the recommended vertical orientation, as thats what creates the extra space for the corner muscle to work and allow more blood flow, which increases range and endurance, at least for me. So I cant just stick the mpc into the leadpipe blindly and go . . . it has to be oriented precisely, and I must hold the horn the same way all the time. . . . probably should be doing that anyway.

I have a bit of an overbite, but bought my Wedges before the offset design was available (or I missed it). Im eager to try an offset design, but am a little hesitant to do so because Im afraid Ill like it, and then be guilt-ridden over the cost of replacing all of my expensive Wedges with even more expensive Wedges. But I know the answer . . .Practice, man, practice, and when you are finally at the level it pays to play your horn, you can afford it! Right . . . But seriously, thats only other downside to the Wedge . . . cost . . . in the big scheme of things we spend $$ on, its not a bad deal.

- an "n" of one isn't statistically valid, but I hope that helps.
mcnairg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a comeback player (2.5 years now) and have been playing on Wedges for about eight months. (I just ordered a Wedge flugel piece over the weekend). Every aspect of my playing has improved, and did so from the start. I continue to improve. It feels as if the longer I play it and my embouchure forms around it the better I play. It's the most comfortable mouthpiece I've played. It took very little time to completely adjust; it felt different for the first practice or two. I also have no problem whatsoever playing on conventional pieces. The feel is like the difference between driving a real sports car and a regular car; you can actually feel what your chops are doing and you can control them precisely. Because of the design, you exercise greater control over the corners and use less pressure. Without doing any sustained range work I can play a solid high F and can squeak out double G. I know if I actually worked on range seriously I could make that G solid (And I will in the next couple of months)

As others have saidand like with any other mouthpieceyou won't know if it works for you until you try it out. And here is where Dr. Dave and Wedge excel: you can try it out for three months! If you don't like it, just pay shipping to return it, about $8. I definitely felt I had nothing to lose. Then there's Dr. Dave. There's a fitting survey to fill out to get an idea of the piece you should order. Even after doing that I had questions, so I emailed Dave. He responded right away and made suggestions for pieces that might work. I tried various combinations of tops and backbores until I got the sound I wanted. So if you're interested you should definitely give them a try. They might change your playing life!
J-Walk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a few on trial for about 2-3 weeks, they did not work for me. I have a natural wedge/overlap on my top front teeth and the wedge mp gave me too much of a good thing. The right side of my embouchure couldnt seal with the wedge piece. I would expect someone with straighter, flatter teeth to gain more benefit from the wedge mp design than players who already have a pronounced wedge in their teeth. OMMV of course.
Adams A5
Larson Brasswerks “Reese” Model C
Schilke P5-4 picc
Courtois 154 flugel
A few mouthpieces that fit my face and horns

Last edited by J-Walk on Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:17 am; edited 1 time in total
fredo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Dave's mpc several years and even became Wedge retailer for a year or two in France.

The Wedge gave me a better endurance and i made good progress during this period. I was a come back player after 15 years hiatus.

Then, thanks to Ron MEZA (Homebilly here, alias 50 bucks shipping included) i discovered the CG mpcs (Personal, CG3, CG7) and it seems that the big bored pieces help me a lot to play better.

A brief passage on a Monette Silver 6 and now Donat Touvron confirmed to me that the 22 bore is better for me and the Monette concept enhanced by Donat suit me better also.

Some, as me can play Wedge or conventional mpcs alternately without problems, some prefer the Wedge rim and other do not have any benefit with those mpc.
HillBilly Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played on them pretty much exclusively for 10 years. My favorites have been the ACB/Wedge TAZ and Screech. playing on the ACB/Wedge TAZ for the last year and a half or so, accuracy, endurance have never been better. They are a "crisp" sounding piece (at least the ones I have). I have a stainless 7ES (I think) that Dr Dave made me many years ago that my daughter played through high school...she really liked it, and it has a cool factor (had braces through a lot of it). The rim on that isn't wide enough for my liking or I'd play that from time to time, too. I do rarely struggle with orientation on the lop as others have noted, but that's a me problem, as when I find it (usually just need a mirror/blank ipad screen on a gig to see the dimple and how far off it is from where it should be) the piece works exactly as I need it to. Once I get that feel again, no more issue. Usually happens when I haven't been on the horn for a few days due to life.
Manchester Brass Pocket Trumpet
GR 62Z**, ACB TAZF
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: