• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Curry mp I cannot find info about

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaoloOneArm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Curry mp I cannot find info about Reply with quote

Hi everyone
I'd like to purchase from a a friend a mine a Curry mouthpiece, but I cannot find any info about it.
On the mp, I can read "RENO NV" (NV is Nevada, as you perfectly know)
Than, I can read "L" and a smaller "3"

I'd like to add a photo but I don't know how to do it.
From the photos I have, Iìm quite sure it is Lead mp, but I'd like to have a Bach comparison...3E, 3F or what?

Can you help me?
Thanx!
Paolo - Italy
Olds Ambassador cornet (dated 1954)
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Mark Curry not respond to questions? I know he commented here years ago but abruptly stopped.

Kent
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
Does Mark Curry not respond to questions? I know he commented here years ago but abruptly stopped.

Kent

Mark is kind of hit or miss these days on email communication. That's been my experience anyway. I'm not sure why.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's very busy. That's all. I just had him make a custom mouthpiece recently. It took him 2-3 weeks to answer the order saying he had made the mouthpiece. I paid. He shipped. His only response was that he had made the mouthpiece and was ready to ship when I paid him. He's aware of email questions coming in, but doesn't have the time to respond.

On another note. He also doesn't respond to questions from stores and other suppliers. They send him an order and receive their mouthpieces about a month later.

Imagine you are the guy in a one man operation. How often do you warm up the equipment? You are probably flooded with hundreds of emails. Pretty amazing that he can do what he does.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chances are that it is a custom made piece. If it works for you, why worry about it?
PaoloOneArm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx a lot my Friends.
This is exactly what happened. I wrote to Mark a couple of data ago. No answers. It is very unusual. Customer Service is actually the key point for a Company. Help can hire somebody to help him if help has so much work to do. Kanstul, Schilke, Adams, Monette answers me, both technical and commercial answers.

Ok, i wait. And I Hope someone Can help me.
Thanx again Mu Friends
Olds Ambassador cornet (dated 1954)
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaoloOneArm wrote:
Thanx a lot my Friends.
This is exactly what happened. I wrote to Mark a couple of data ago. No answers. It is very unusual. Customer Service is actually the key point for a Company. Help can hire somebody to help him if help has so much work to do. Kanstul, Schilke, Adams, Monette answers me, both technical and commercial answers.

Ok, i wait. And I Hope someone Can help me.
Thanx again Mu Friends

Kanstul, Schilke, Adams and Monette all have a greater number employees, and your reply reinforced the differences between those makers and Curry.

Mark is a one-man operation, and he could hire someone to answer the phone, but be required to double the cost of every mouthpiece he sells in order to pay that person. Which do you prefer? Better cost and communication that sometimes takes time, or a double the cost mouthpiece?

Add to that the fact that your request is not a sales request, but an information request on a second hand mouthpiece that any profit he made from occurred long ago, and the situation makes your being upset about his lack of instantaneous responses even more ungrateful sounding.

Then add in that the past week was a national holiday in America, for which I hope he took a couple days off to celebrate and to enjoy. Maybe he wanted to have a few days away from the email and the shop.

I'm usually pretty "live and let live" on here, but in the case of Mark, a good man and an excellent maker who has done so many good things for so many people, I take offense and had to reply.

Sincerely,

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Imagine you are the guy in a one man operation. How often do you warm up the equipment? You are probably flooded with hundreds of emails. Pretty amazing that he can do what he does.

If that's the case, you'd think he'd hire someone to help - even a HS kid to do basic stuff for minimum wage.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
Richard III wrote:

If that's the case, you'd think he'd hire someone to help - even a HS kid to do basic stuff for minimum wage.

You want a high schooler answering incredibly detailed, needy trumpet-nerd mouthpiece questions? Ha - every email would read like our old friend Cap'n Kirk wrote it... We'd be worse off than before!
trumpethead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]
If that's the case, you'd think he'd hire someone to help - even a HS kid to do basic stuff for minimum wage.[/quote]

Yes. Completely agree.

It would be in Mark's advantage to get help, as customer service should be a priority.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custom mouthpiece from Curry was $86. Custom mouthpiece from another manufacturer that I talked to was $250. Those were the extremes. Another maker it was $150. From Curry I got exactly what I wanted for much less money. And the rim matched all my other mouthpieces. I think Curry is great.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpethead wrote:

If that's the case, you'd think he'd hire someone to help - even a HS kid to do basic stuff for minimum wage.[/quote]

Yes. Completely agree.

It would be in Mark's advantage to get help, as customer service should be a priority.[/quote]

You have to be kidding. It's to his advantage to help a customer who bought his mouthpiece second hand? Explain that economically to me in dollars and cents, and I can show you a bankrupt company.

You guys simply aren't getting it. This is not a new sale, or consulting for a new sale. This is simply asking for information on an old piece that no longer is in the catalog.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
Richard III wrote:

Man, you know I think the world of you, but you have me perplexed and puzzled. A minimum wage high school kid is going to answer questions about a mouthpiece that isn't part of the line, and isn't in the literature available? Every time you add to the kid's required knowledge, you also add to the value of having the kid there, which will add cost. If I have to know all of "this" information to work at Curry, or I can flip burgers for the same wage, and I walk out the door at the end of the day at burger bros and forget it...which job are most kids going to choose?
trumpethead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was making a blanket statement regarding customer service, NOT the case you've cited.

My opinion still apologetically stands as without happy customers, you've got NO business.

(BTW, I think Mark is great and his products exceptional.)
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Custom mouthpiece from Curry was $86. Custom mouthpiece from another manufacturer that I talked to was $250. Those were the extremes. Another maker it was $150. From Curry I got exactly what I wanted for much less money. And the rim matched all my other mouthpieces. I think Curry is great.

Exactly the point, friend! If Mark starts adding to the personel, the prices will go up.

I ordered a custom trombone piece for one of my students a few years ago. A Bach 5 rim with a shallower cup than the 5G of a Bach, and a few other minor alterations. Discussion was done via email, about three messages. Mouthpieces came (two or three to try), student liked two of them, kept and paid for them. Returned the third. The price was less than one custom ordered Bach with a special throat and backbore from the factory, and Mark was able to replicate it for two other students who like the mouthpiece the first student had and wanted one. That's service.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpethead wrote:
I was making a blanket statement regarding customer service, NOT the case you've cited.

My opinion still apologetically stands as without happy customers, you've got NO business.

(BTW, I think Mark is great and his products exceptional.)

And a minimum wage hire is going to be able to do what to alleviate any of the issues cited? (Asking sincerely, since I do not see the advantage of a hire without significant knowledge in the field.)
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read every word here. I honestly see no value to adding a minimum wage person with limited knowledge in a business like Mark's. If he adds someone, it should be someone who knows the product well enough that they can address questions without having to pull Mark away from work to do so.

If you call Monette (as I recently did), BJ answers the phone. In the past, Tom Raney or Jason have answered phones, and addressed questions. All have been and are Monette clients and players. All the guys that work at Monette (with few exceptions) are Monette players and musicians. They speak in the terminology and vocabulary of Monette, and that level of expertise makes the client (as Monette calls his customer base) more comfortable and well-informed on a potential purchase. I've always understood that kind of service at Monette is part of why his equipment is priced at a premium. If you call Schilke, for a long time it was Phil Baughman who answered those questions. If you call other custom makers, the fewer are the number of people in the inner realm, and therefore the guy behind the vision spends more and more time on the phone with clients. The trade-off of time to design and make vs. talking on the phone with clients costs money, drives up the cost of the product, and adds value to the purchase.

In the case of Mark, he fills all of those spots. If he hires outside folks to do the calls, to answer questions, they have to know the product, the line available, and to know when to turn the client over to Mark because the questions asked are above their "pay grade". That takes someone with more than just, "I'll take your number and have Mark call you." It takes someone with a working knowledge of the products, how it is made, and the potential alterations of that product. It takes a Mark Curry. It takes a David Monette. It takes help like BJ Cord, or Phil Baughman.

Not a $7.25 an hour kid off the streets.

AL
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me add one other things: I mean none of this as a negative toward anyone here, Mark, or any other maker. I am interested in the perceptions of the board, even if I disagree with your ideas, they are important to me because that's how we all learn to appreciate differing viewpoints.

Please do not take my posts as attacking anyone negatively. If they come off that way, I sincerely apologize and hope this statement clarifies my "tone".

AL
trumpethead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote -And a minimum wage hire is going to be able to do what to alleviate any of the issues cited? (Asking sincerely, since I do not see the advantage of a hire without significant knowledge in the field.)[/quote]

Absolutely!

As someone who's been in business for a long time, it's extremely important that potential/customers feel valued and heard, otherwise they WILL move on.

Even someone who responds to Emails/phone calls expressing that Mark is unable to answer their enquiries would go a long way.

Also, they could field responses from Mark and convey the message.

Keeping customers in the 'loop' is CRUCIAL to success.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpethead wrote:
[quote -And a minimum wage hire is going to be able to do what to alleviate any of the issues cited? (Asking sincerely, since I do not see the advantage of a hire without significant knowledge in the field.

Absolutely!

As someone who's been in business for a long time, it's extremely important that potential/customers feel valued and heard, otherwise they WILL move on.

Even someone who responds to Emails/phone calls expressing that Mark is unable to answer their enquiries would go a long way.

Also, they could field responses from Mark and convey the message.

Keeping customers in the 'loop' is CRUCIAL to success.

Ok, I see your point. So let me ask further to be sure, some answer is better than no answer, and any answer, even if to simply say that information isn't available, is still a viable connection with the customer?

I am truly appreciating this discussion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: