• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Silent Brass

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbuechel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldHorn wrote:
Can the Silent Brass system be used to record your trumpet? Like an aux. output that could be plugged into the input of an audio interface or a DAW?

I tried plugging the pickup mute directly into the microphone jack on my computer, and it did work, but with no amplification I had to basically scream into it before hearing anything. It would probably work better by using the output of the personal studio unit, especially since I think it does additional filtering, but I only had one cable so I couldn't try this.
Joel11

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two modern silent brass systems
they are very useful but for recording purposes
I would not recommend it as it produces a weird sound unless somehow
you find a way like on computer as in a video
if you want to record without no one knowing maybe try this
The E-Brass from Best Brass they made a new version
I personally have not tried it
http://www.bestbrass.com/stf/e-brass.html
deleted_user_ae17caf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sound on the Silent Brass is meh/alright, but whenever I get my kick at 12AM to go practice, it sure comes in handy.
michael_bxl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally bought it and want to contribute to this post.

I can only compare it to the Denis Wick practice mute. My principal concern was the loudness. The Yamaha is so quieter ! I can definitely play whenever I want. It was not possible with the DW one. It is also lighter. Maybe a little be more free blowing.

I found the low notes really sharp. But that is ok for me...

The electronic system is great too (even if I dislike using battery). The first time I tried it I double-checked if the mute was on because the sound seemed so realistic (this first time).

I don't know how they did it but it was a great surprise. Thanks for having helped me.
velocraig

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reply is anecdotal as I only own the trombone versions (have one 16 yrs old and a 2 yr old one) but to me the difference is night and day. Old one is very stuffy and no matter what horn I use it on, they never slot well. The new one, to me, is very free blowing and has no change to how the horn slots.
IMO, I would suggest looking for a newer model for a few more $$.
trtrtr1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The S.B. is okay. Finding a good practice mute is probably better. That worked for me for sound. Gave my S.B. away.
outskiing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: SB Less Restrictive Reply with quote

I find the SB by Yamaha to be less restrictive then my silencer practice mute. I plug my phone into it and use it the iReal Pro backing track app and with a little reverb its pretty nice. It's not up to performance level quality, but works for practicing.
Satchmo101

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha SB is great. I've recently started hooking mine up to my computers active speakers so can play loud an just hear an mp volume. Also as prev post says one can mix in backing tracks etc.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While on a 2 week trip to visit my son in Florida, there were a couple of hotel stays on the way down and a couple more on the way home. With a performance scheduled just a few days after returning home, daily practice and part woodshedding was definitely in order.

I practiced "open horn" while at my son's home but hotels require a little different approach. Silent Brass and Bose Noise Cancelling headphones make an easy compromise.

The intonation is a little wonky on the Silent Brass requiring a little more effort to keep everything in tune, but not too difficult and not very overtaxing from my experience. I plug my metronome phone app in for warmup and technical practice and plug in my iPad for play along with YouTube while woodshedding parts. The Silent Brass has worked really well for me and it is always a part of my travel pack.
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's heavy, sort of clunky, but it works better than anything else: the peacemaker.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/peacemaker-practice-mute-trumpet-305400947

shows what mine looks like, it seems to have changed shape if it is even available still. Love it uses a stethoscope and NO batteries!

I tried a new Yamaha silent brass a couple of weeks ago. It is very good now, and I would have to say almost as good as the peacemaker...

cheers

Andy
BraeGrimes
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetera wrote:
TKSop wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

I think it is best that you use it with the electronic feedback, mainly to avoid overblowing. If you use only the mute, watch your volume.

This is probably the single most important line in this thread.

The biggest problem with using practice mutes regularly is that it's easy to get into a habit of overblowing and fighting it - the electronic feedback significantly reduces that temptation and for that alone, the silent brass (or bestbrass e-brass) are the only ones I could recommend for regular use in good conscience (even then, open practice would still be preferable, ideally).

So with respect to the Wick (which is awful in pretty much every single way) or any other standard practice mute... It's not just about pure decibel reduction given the same input into the horn - it's about how much noise you actually make whilst practicing and the ones with feedback will almost always win on that front

Sometimes I wish there was a "like"- button on this forum!

Seconded!!!
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
It's heavy, sort of clunky, but it works better than anything else: the peacemaker.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/peacemaker-practice-mute-trumpet-305400947

shows what mine looks like, it seems to have changed shape if it is even available still. Love it uses a stethoscope and NO batteries!

I tried a new Yamaha silent brass a couple of weeks ago. It is very good now, and I would have to say almost as good as the peacemaker...

cheers

Andy

Andy,

Thanks for the link Andy! I've never seen anything like that. Very interesting idea and low tech to boot! If I ever see one, I would like to give it a try.

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: