• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Learn the Changes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Learn the Changes Reply with quote

I've heard people say "learn the changes" virtually my entire musical life and I'm not sure I've ever fully understood it - or at least fully understood the process.

When accomplished jazz artists take a 32-bar solo what's happening in their head? Are they visualizing the note choices they have as they play each bar? Each four bars?

Is the process similar to speaking or writing in that we can become fluent speakers or writers without thinking about whether the words we're using are nouns or verbs or adjectives?

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Learn the Changes Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
I've heard people say "learn the changes" virtually my entire musical life and I'm not sure I've ever fully understood it - or at least fully understood the process.

When accomplished jazz artists take a 32-bar solo what's happening in their head? Are they visualizing the note choices they have as they play each bar? Each four bars?

Is the process similar to speaking or writing in that we can become fluent speakers or writers without thinking about whether the words we're using are nouns or verbs or adjectives?

The more you have to think about it the more difficult it will be. Improvisation is, at its easiest, exactly like speaking language, an instinctive and spontaneous form of expression. Your objective is to be able to instinctively play pitches and rhythmic patterns within and complimentary to the melodic line.

"Learning the changes" isn't as important as "hearing the changes" and being able to instinctively and spontaneously play in coordination with the changes. An accomplished improviser hears the changes as they evolve and instinctively and spontaneously responds to them.

The player is not responding to the name of each change but, instead, is responding to the sound of each change. The player is not thinking of the names of notes but, instead, is thinking of pitches and relative pitches.

You're probably already fluent in this concept. If you're given a starting pitch for the song "Happy Birthday" you can probably sing it in accordance with that pitch without knowing the names of any of the chords or notes. You can probably even improvise around the melody with your voice without really thinking much about it. The process you used to train your voice in that way is the same process you need to use to train yourself to do that on your horn.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great answer, thanks!

I do find that when I'm playing trad, which I think makes fewer demands on improvisers, I'm able to solo pretty competently by just playing interesting, rhythmically appealing lines that fit with what I hear or pre-hear.

I have more difficulty with some of the solos that crop up in a big band book, solos that stretch out, have lots of changes and go through multiple keys.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Learn the Changes Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:

I mostly play in trio/quartet formats, where most of what we do is solo over jazz standards. I can't say what "accomplished" people are thinking of. But when I'm soloing, I'm thinking of 3 things to varying degrees.

1) I think of the original melody when soloing. I initially started doing this so I didn't get lost. After a while, it became a habit, and helped me to solo in ways that complemented the song.

2) I think of the harmonic structure structure of the song. I don't necessarily think of individual chords, but sometimes I do. More often, I try to think about where the chords are going.

2a) Another comment on chords, is that they are not always definitive. Every song has at least 3 versions of the chords. There are the chords written by the author. There are the chords the pianist is actually playing (which may be different). And there are the common alternate chords for the song. Because the chords can vary, I try to think more of the harmonic structure of the song, and not necessarily the specific chords.

3) Finally, I'm thinking about what I want to play.

jhatpro wrote:

Yes. This is a great example. After much practice, the "nouns and verbs" become more instinctive. This isn't always the case when I play. But this is my goal.

Get a copy of the Aebersold Jazz Handbook. It can be downloaded for free. On page 9 or 10, he covers how to learn a song (which includes how to learn the changes). There are other ways to do this. But this is the way I started.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an excellent article that tells it like it is:

http://www.halgalper.com/articles/practice-and-performance-goals/

Here's a quote just to pique your interest:

"All the great players I had the good fortune to apprentice with over the years played by ear. They also learned their vocabulary the same way. They could not describe what they were doing theoretically."
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we've talked about "the changes" in jazz bands I've been in, it meant the chords that would be played during the solo by the rhythm section, and "learn the changes" just meant knowing what that would sound like well enough that the solo sounds coherent.

An analogy could be if a member of a group of friends announces he and his family will be moving out of town to some place on the other side of the country, and someone in the group decides to organize a going-away dinner party for him. The organizer becomes the unofficial host, and at some point during the dinner, he will stand up and say a few words about the guest of honor.

In this situation, some speakers might forget that they're supposed to say something, and after getting poked in the ribs, stand up and babble in an incoherent way. That guy didn't know his changes.

Another guy would be better prepared. He'd think about it in advance and decide that he's gonna (1) thank everyone for coming, (2) say what friendship with the guest of honor has meant to him, (3) wish him well on his new adventure, and (4) raise glasses in a toast. He hasn't written out a speech, but he's prepared a structure in his head that he can riff on and sound coherent. He knows his changes.

A third guy might not feel confident about this, so he'll write out a speech word-for-word and read it at the party. That guy isn't improvising.

When I play a solo, I have an idea what the changes played by the rhythm section will sound like. I don't know exactly what I'm going to play, but I know what notes and scale patterns would work. I like to think of a structure that I can follow, for example (1) start big, (2) back down and noodle, (3) get big again, then (4) wind it down and hand it over to the next soloist or ensemble.
Piccolo Stomvi
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Matteson taught us to sit at the piano and memorize the chord changes to tunes. And if you couldn't write out the chords for a piano player, you didn't know the tune.

Next time somebody calls Moments Notice or Lazy Bird or Giant Steps or All The Things You Are or Cherokee and you just "earball" it, unless you're one of an extremely tiny number of select mortals, you're going to sound like caca if you haven't worked on and memorized the chord changes.

That's the truth, no candy coating, no warm fuzzies. If you don't know what the changes are, you're constantly hoping for miracles . . . you are not living in the real world.

And when you do truly know the changes, then (and only then) do you not have to think about them. You can only rely on autopilot when you know the material so well you can do it in your sleep.
Jafuentes3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!
Great answers by everyone.
If I could add something;
I think learning the changes (aside from "hearing the changes") also has to do with exploring the possibilities of said chord changes. (How can I alter these chords? What extensions are most appropriate? Where and how can I add/substitute some chords?)

Learning how the melody relates to the chords is very important; I always like to think that there are things that work better than others in a tune and it's because of the song's/tune main melody!!

Hopefully that helps.

All best,
J.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeboppinFool wrote:
Rich Matteson taught us to sit at the piano and memorize the chord changes to tunes. And if you couldn't write out the chords for a piano player, you didn't know the tune.

Next time somebody calls Moments Notice or Lazy Bird or Giant Steps or All The Things You Are or Cherokee and you just "earball" it, unless you're one of an extremely tiny number of select mortals, you're going to sound like caca if you haven't worked on and memorized the chord changes.

That's the truth, no candy coating, no warm fuzzies. If you don't know what the changes are, you're constantly hoping for miracles . . . you are not living in the real world.

And when you do truly know the changes, then (and only then) do you not have to think about them. You can only rely on autopilot when you know the material so well you can do it in your sleep.

+1

Almost all good Jazz improvisers I can think of can sit down at a piano and play the changes from memory. I don't mean that they're Oscar Peterson, or that they are using any sort of sophisticated voicings, but that they can play the basic chords and keep time.

I've watched James Morrison several times finish a solo, have the next person start their solo, put his horn down, meander over to the piano, sit down, and start comping on the piano from the middle of the tune. So he actually knows the changes in at least two keys, and is definitely thinking the changes as he plays.

You will also notice if you listen to his solos that he is remarkably in control of the pacing. He frequently builds a solo so that it reaches a climax, typically right at the start of the 'b' of the second repeat (if we're talking about a typical AABA form), or so that it corresponds with a key change or some other notable harmonic moment.

Quote:
"Learning the changes" isn't as important as "hearing the changes" and being able to instinctively and spontaneously play in coordination with the changes. An accomplished improviser hears the changes as they evolve and instinctively and spontaneously responds to them.

This is true, but you've set it up as a false dichotomy. It's not an either you hear them or you learn them, it's that you learn the heck out of them until the knowledge of the chord and the sound of the chord co-exist.

Bobby Shew talks about this in his article Playing the Changes:

Quote:
The real beauty of going thru this step-by-step process is its effect on your ability to "hear" the changes and THE TUNE. Ear training is probably the most vital (and overlooked) aspect of any musical training program from my point of view and it is with that point in mind that I've devised all of the routines & exercises. So much could be written here about all of this but for now, let's move on to the process.

http://www.bobbyshew.com/main.html?pgid=7&art_artcl_id=12

The process he outlines is basically extensive playing/practice of chord tones and scales over the progression.

As far as I have been able to tell, the more time you spend trying to get familiar with the changes (learning the changes), the more your ear is able to play the changes without thinking about notes. Sure, it probably all becomes familiar and predictable in time, as Jazz pretty much uses the same handful of chord progressions, but you have to put in the work first. Just saying that real improvisers play instinctively by ear is not particularly helpful, and is probably quite misleading because the process of preparation and the act of actually improvising in the moment are not the same activity.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much for me to read, apologies if it's already been said, but one thing about the changes is knowing their harmonic direction. Chords in isolation can be meaningless, but knowing where they go is vital.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
crose
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The language analogy works great if you follow it all the way through

You don't have to know how to read or write to speak the language - but you will always be limited in expressing yourself. Same for a jazz musician.

Knowing tons of grammar and vocabulary will not make you a great writer or speaker - but you will never be truly great at either without those. We have all suffered through listening to someone recite all of the licks the have learned and never really "say" anything.

Truly great jazz musicians are like great orators. They have the ability to speak extemporaneously, but use familiar phrases and vocabulary that are either a product of their listen and learning or on rare occasions something unique.

The analogy also hold through with learn it and forget it. Even though we are not thinking about the parts of speech and sentence structure when we have to speak if front of a group of people, you can generally pick out the folks who have a firm grasp on those when they speak. Same for jazz musicians.

The goal is communication. The more you have to think, the less you can intuitively communicate.

I am sure there have been great orators in history that could not read or write. However, they could only speak about what they knew and would have a tough time learning something else to speak about without reading. Same for jazz musicians. I am not sure how many times some of the folks we use as examples of playing by ear (Chet Baker) had to hear some of the tunes they could play to learn them and be able to express themselves while soloing - but I know the answer is more times than I have time for...........

Knowing more is always good.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent post and analogy but just one quibble:
crose wrote:
You don't have to know how to read or write to speak the language - but you will always be limited in expressing yourself.

You can certainly express yourself well and universally just orally. What you can't do as efficiently is disseminate what you want to express without print media. (And with today's technology, even that is diminishing.)

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
jharris2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crose wrote:

There's a 16-minute TED talk from Dr. Charles Limb that I find really interesting that underscores this point. Your Brain on Improv: https://www.ted.com/talks/charles_limb_your_brain_on_improv

2014 Flip Oakes Wild Thing flugelhorn (copper bell)
2014 Flip Oakes Celebration trumpet
2005 Flip Oakes Wild Thing trumpet
2002 Flip Oakes Wild Thing short cornet
1976 Getzen Eterna Severinsen trumpet
1951 Olds Ambassador cornet
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetingbynurture wrote:
I've watched James Morrison several times finish a solo, have the next person start their solo, put his horn down, meander over to the piano, sit down, and start comping on the piano from the middle of the tune. So he actually knows the changes in at least two keys, and is definitely thinking the changes as he plays.

More likely, he knows the changes in "any" key, which is far more useful than knowning them in multiple keys. I think this is the approach that Phil Woods used. I think of Rhythm changes as I-VI-ii-V, not "Bb G7 Cm7 F7". I-VI-ii-V works in any key.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the importance of "learning the changes". My other instrument for that (rather than the piano) is guitar.

The problem I have, and it shows up with guitar more than trumpet, is retaining and being fluid with the memory.

That is, remembering the next chord without stumbling for it, perhaps losing a beat, like you would if you were speaking and couldn't remember the right word- getting tongue tied. One way I've tried to overcome this is repetition, but some tunes come easier than others, and if I don't play one for a while...it goes in the recycle bin.

I wonder if I need some memory trick, or maybe jazz standards are just too hard (after 35 years of trying...)
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crose wrote:

You don't have to know how to read or write to speak the language - but you will always be limited in expressing yourself. Same for a jazz musician.

True. You don't have to know how to read and write to speak the language. But you need to know what the words mean ... or it's just nonsense.

Same with improvising. You need to know what the sounds mean ... or else it's just noise.

Mike
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
crose wrote:

True. You don't have to know how to read and write to speak the language. But you need to know what the words mean ... or it's just nonsense.

Same with improvising. You need to know what the sounds mean ... or else it's just noise.

Mike

I disagree totally. You don't need to know the names of the chords, the names of the notes in the chords or the names of the notes in general to be able to improvise fluently. What you need to know are the sounds/pitches and you need to be able to respond instinctively, spontaneously and accurately to the sounds/pitches.

The names are one thing. The sounds/pitches are another thing. The name is not the sound or the pitch. Knowing the names does not familiarize you with the sounds/pitches. At the end of the day your skill in improvising is rated on the basis of how you sound, not on the basis of what you can recite on a test about chord names and structures.

Here's the link to the article I cited in a prior response:

http://www.halgalper.com/articles/practice-and-performance-goals/

Improvisation is not a function of academia. It is an aural/creative/motor response skill the same as speaking language. This is a very difficult concept for people in academia to accept, they tend to be married to the idea that you can't produce great music without academic knowledge. In the above referenced article the author talks about how focusing on academia actually clutters, impedes and limits the creative process.

People learn to speak English fluently without majoring in English or even taking a class in English. William Shakespeare attended King Edward VI Grammar School in Stratford-upon-Avon from the age of 7 in 1571 until he left school and formal education at the age of 14 in 1578. There's no evidence that Shakespeare knew anything about diagramming a sentence or otherwise had any specific defining knowledge of the theory of English, nouns, verbs, pronouns, adjectives, etc. yet Shakespeare did pretty well in terms of creating original scripts. That creating is very similar to improvisation.

I'm not saying that academia can't be useful to some people. I am saying that aural training can be a complete substitute for academia, that aural training/instinctive, spontaneous, accurate response is, by far, the most important skill necessary for fluent improvisation and that such skill can be achieved without any knowledge of chord names, chord structures or names of notes. In fact, for some people, memorizing chord names, chord structures and names of notes would be a hindrance and would unduly complicate things for them.

There have been great improvisational players who had a strong knowledge of music theory. There have been great improvisational players who had virtually no knowledge of music theory. There has never been a great improvisational player who didn't have a well trained ear which enabled the player to respond instinctively, spontaneously and accurately to sounds/pitches which were known by the player.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*** devils advocate warning ***

what if you are subbing on the jazz chair in a big band that only plays
original tunes?

you are going to have to be able to sight read changes in a big way
as you will have no time to wait to hear the progression to be able
to figure it out.

this is another part of the art of improvising
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
TrumpetMD wrote:
crose wrote:

Mike

I disagree totally. You don't need to know the names of the chords, the names of the notes in the chords or the names of the notes in general to be able to improvise fluently. What you need to know are the sounds/pitches and you need to be able to respond instinctively, spontaneously and accurately to the sounds/pitches....

Improvisation is not a function of academia....

I'm not sure I understand your reply. But I think you've attributed things to me that I did not say.

I said you need to know "what the sounds mean". I did not say you need to know the "names of the chords". How someone gets there is up to them.

I also did not say that improvisation is a "function of academia". I'm not sure where this came from. I never brought it up.

And FWIW, my understanding of improvisation is from my personal experiences and what has worked for me. Other people may do things differently. And if that works for them, that's great, too.

Mike
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:
*** devils advocate warning ***

what if you are subbing on the jazz chair in a big band that only plays
original tunes?

you are going to have to be able to sight read changes in a big way
as you will have no time to wait to hear the progression to be able
to figure it out.

this is another part of the art of improvising

Whether you can sight read chords or not the principles of improvisation are the same: Your success is determined by your ability to instinctively, spontaneously and accurately respond to the sounds/pitches. If you don't know what sounds/pitches are coming and can't figure it out by reading chords (because you don't read chords) but you're going to be required to improvise in response to those sounds/pitches the best plan is to not take the gig. If you can read chords but can't instinctively, spontaneously and accurately respond to the sounds/pitches represented by those chords, the best plan is also to not take the gig.

Just because someone can read chords doesn't mean they can instinctively, spontaneously and accurately respond to the sounds/pitches represented by those chords. If, however, the player can apply the ability to read the chords to assist in instinctively, spontaneously and accurately responding to the sounds/pitches represented by those chords that is certainly a benefit that gives that player in the situation you mention an advantage over the player who cannot read chords.

That being said, a player does not even need to know how to read music as a mandatory prerequisite to being a fluent improvisor over melodic structures with which the player is familiar. Obviously, the inability to read music would disqualify the player from gigs in which reading music is required to successfully perform the gig. That player may, however, be far superior to the player who can read chords in terms of improvising over melodic structures with which the player is familiar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: