• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tight straight mute dispute

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Tight straight mute dispute Reply with quote

So in another forum there is a debate about tight mute and thought I would get other opinions. A person asked about what does tight straight mute mean. I was always taught tight mute means that the mute in question whether it be a cup mute or straight mute the corks are shaved so the mute fits closer in the bell to cause the mute to fit tighter to cause more stuffed up sound. Ie to make the cup mute closer to the bell or make the straight mute deeper in the bell. We also could achieve this by adding felt bags to our straight mute to get the same effect. The other person agreed on the cup mute but said the straight mute meant a bright as hell, like a swarm of bees.

So what say you guys? My instructor told me today that you ask a bunch of different trumpet players and get a bunch of different answers but agreed with me. He is well known in the trumpet world but thought I would get some other opinions. I could be wrong as I took a break from playing, but why would one term mean one thing for one mute and mean something completely different for a different mute?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: