• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trad Guidelines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Trad Guidelines Reply with quote

Im trying to help some people who are good musicians but new to trad with ideas that will enable them to play it well and I would like to know what the TH community thinks of these suggestions and whether I should add anything:

Listen, listen, listen to good bands. Lots of great ones - both classic and contemporary - can be found on YouTube.

Avoid stock Dixieland arrangements. Learning tunes by ear from records/videos is best but the Creole Jazz Book and The Real Dixieland Book are a good way to jump start the process of building a library. However you access the music, the sooner you memorize it the more authentic you will sound.

When playing remember trad is collective improvisation which should sound like a lively conversation, one in which participants are listening to one another and elaborating on one anothers comments.

The group should agree beforehand whos going to state the melody during ensemble playing. The other instruments should find creative ways to support the lead player. If the cornet is leading, for example, the clarinet can play a complementary theme an octave above and the trombone can link the chords with glisses.

Tunes dont have to always begin with ensemble playing - an opening solo by anyone in the band can be an effective and surprising approach.

Its best to avoid long solos by anyone. Its better to split them up with different instruments taking 12 bar or 16 bar turns depending on the form of the tune.

At first it may be wise to agree on solo order beforehand but, eventually, good bands become adept at using body language to communicate who should solo next.

Generally players should try to emulate the way in which trad was played in the first half of the 20th Century which means adhering to simpler chords, extensive use of mutes, and frequent references to the melody throughout the performance.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. Just the approach I've used putting together a traditional jazz band. If you find people who are willing to do all of that work, you probably don't need guidelines. Self starters work on obvious methods like this. But if they are not self starters, if they are like the people that I deal with, none of that works. People show up. They haven't listened and watched all the videos I've sent them to provide an example of the stuff we are playing. They may have not printed out the songs we are playing. They may have pulled stuff from other sources of the same song but all the wrong chords. They show up late, don't have their music and expect to play with no practice. Then when you try and help them, they say why are you stressing? We'll pull it together at the gig.

Sigh. Sorry for venting. Carry on people.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's human nature that whenever there's a piano to be moved some people would rather move the bench.

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, back to serious business. I was recently talking with the band and they said that getting together and listening together would be good. That way we can all discuss what we are hearing as we hear it. I've found that people listen in different ways and don't always internalize the music to gain a benefit from it.

I think your method is definitely workable.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great suggestions, Jim. I think you nailed it. Id only add something about playing with good time, a sense of style and ease.
Piccolo Stomvi
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're so right!

2005 Bach 180-72R
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: