• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The musical "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: The musical "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"... Reply with quote

What's the trumpet book like, especially in the biggest possible orchestra version-does anyone have any experience of it?
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAGING JOHN MOHAN. JOHN MOHAN, PLEASE PICK UP THE WHITE COURTESY PHONE LOCATED ON THE CONCOURSE.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

put that bratwürst down and please pick up the white courtesy telephone

weißes höflichkeitstelefonen bitte herr Mohan
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
deleted_user_da44b37

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Hunchback till November 4 here in Berlin in the Theater des Westens.
It was a smaller orchestra than in the original world premiere in 1999.
You can send me a pm and i can send you both parts.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
PAGING JOHN MOHAN. JOHN MOHAN, PLEASE PICK UP THE WHITE COURTESY PHONE LOCATED ON THE CONCOURSE.

homebilly wrote:
put that bratwürst down and please pick up the white courtesy telephone

weißes höflichkeitstelefonen bitte herr Mohan

I can't believe it took so many years for this question to come up (and I can't believe it's been more than 15 years since the original run closed)!

I was contracted to play second trumpet with duty to play first trumpet as needed for Der Glöckner von Notre Dame for the final two years of its three year run in Berlin from 1999 until 2002. The original version's 1st trumpet part is fairly challenging from a technical and physical point of view, but not as challenging as Cats or West Side Story. There was a cool but challenging interplay between the 1st part (on Piccolo Trumpet) and the second trumpet in the opening song "Die Glocken Notre Dames" (English title "Bells of Notre Dame") but I think that is gone in the new version. The 1st book goes up to E often, though when playing 1st I tended to paste a nice High F for the final note of Act 1, eliciting a Thumbs-Up from Gerd Seifert, the legendary retired Solo Horn Player from the Berlin Phil when he was playing in the pit (after retiring from the Phil he subbed in our pit and ended up with a part contract for the final year of the show).

The second trumpet part is as typical, a little easier than the first. Any solid pro level player won't have a problem with either part.

I do have a copy of the original 1st trumpet and second trumpet book (if I recall, parts of it - perhaps most - was double staved). But I only have paper copies (we didn't have PDF scores for shows much if at all back then).

Have fun on the show - it's a good music and fun to play. The fact that I could do it 8 shows a week for two years and not go out of my mind is a healthy testament to that.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, The book may be different now. It was workshopped for six weeks at the Paper Mill in NJ about two years ago.
deleted_user_da44b37

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Book is quite different. It goes up to g above high c .
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetinberlin wrote:
The Book is quite different. It goes up to g above high c .

Wow, that's cool. It's unusual for the book to get harder. I remember after Hunchback closed in Berlin, the next show to come into the Potsdamer Platz Theater was Cats - but it was not the Toronto version that we had played in Hamburg - it was made much easier. At least one of the songs was written a half step down (Pekes and the Pollicles) and the highest note in the song which had been the root of the chord had been a G# above High C, was now just the fifth of the chord in the lower key, so now it was only a D. Also, I think the many repeats of the piccolo trumpet part during "Mr. Mistoffelees" was trimmed in half. One of the subs for the show, Dan Collette nicknamed it "Cats for Dummies"... I was not involved with that production of Cats and I'm sort of glad I wasn't after my (wonderful) experience with it in Hamburg.

I'm thinking the version you just finished in Berlin might not be the same arrangements as the American version. Do you know if it is or not?

Cheers,

John
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthew Anklan wrote:
FWIW, The book may be different now. It was workshopped for six weeks at the Paper Mill in NJ about two years ago.

The American book is very different from the original 1999 German version - I have the soundtrack to the new version and everything was re-arranged. I'm not sure if the current German version music-wise, is the same arrangement as the American Version that came out just a few years ago. Waiting for an answer from trumpetinberlin on that one.
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, guys!

He who is forewarned is forarmed...!
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
deleted_user_da44b37

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not written that the book is harder, i only wrote that there is a written g above high c. And i do not think that trumpetera wants t to know something about a Cats experience 20 years ago. Why not just answering the question of the op?
I played Cats in Berlin and i could tell you the truth about Cats for Dummies and the“Sub“. But i won‘t.
deleted_user_da44b37

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we played the Papermill version.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetinberlin wrote:
I have not written that the book is harder, i only wrote that there is a written g above high c. And i do not think that trumpetera wants t to know something about a Cats experience 20 years ago. Why not just answering the question of the op?
I played Cats in Berlin and i could tell you the truth about Cats for Dummies and the“Sub“. But i won‘t.

Oh, I know all about that "Sub".

I know you haven't written that the book is harder, and I'm sure others know that too. Of course, to someone who can't play a G, it could be considered, not harder, but impossible.

As for my comments regarding my Cats experience, they were written as an example of how usually when a book gets rewritten, it is being made less challenging to play, which as I wrote, I was happy to read was not the case with Hunchback. If the OP here doesn't want to read what I write, I'm sure he can and will choose not to.
deleted_user_da44b37

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="John Mohan"][quote="trumpetinberlin"]I was not involved with that production of Cats and I'm sort of glad I wasn't after my (wonderful) experience with it in Hamburg.

It is far better having a Job at Cats for Dummies than being without a Job.....
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="trumpetinberlin"][quote="John Mohan"]
trumpetinberlin wrote:
I was not involved with that production of Cats and I'm sort of glad I wasn't after my (wonderful) experience with it in Hamburg.

It is far better having a Job at Cats for Dummies than being without a Job.....

Good point! I didn't mean to denigrate your experience with the show. But if by writing "without a Job" you were referring to me, I wasn't. I got hired to play 1st Trumpet on "Evita" at Theater des Westens, then 1st on "West Side Story" in Basel, Switzerland, followed by the European Tour of "Grease" which I stayed with until it closed in June 2004 at which point my wife Anne and I finally moved back to the States. We had only intended to stay in Germany for the three years she needed to complete her education as an Occupational Therapist (she's German - we met in Los Angeles). But I kept getting good work, including "Cats" in Hamburg, then "Glöckner" and the others so we stayed longer. I enjoyed my time in Germany very much.

Last edited by John Mohan on Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes but did you drink your coffee at Tchibo or Eduscho?
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:
yes but did you drink your coffee at Tchibo or Eduscho?

Tchibo! Good coffee and great stuff to buy.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetera wrote:
Thanks for the replies, guys!

He who is forewarned is forarmed...!

You're welcome! Have fun with it!
deleted_user_da44b37

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no more Eduscho.
deleted_user_da44b37

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="John Mohan"][quote="trumpetinberlin"][quote="John Mohan"][quote="trumpetinberlin"]I was not involved with that production of Cats and I'm sort of glad I wasn't after my (wonderful) experience with it in Hamburg.

It is far better having a Job at Cats for Dummies than being without a Job.....[/quote]

Good point! I didn't mean to denigrate your experience with the show. But if by writing "without a Job" you were referring to me, I wasn't. I got hired to play 1st Trumpet on "Evita" at Theater des Westens, then 1st on "West Side Story" in Basel, Switzerland, followed by the European Tour of "Grease" which I stayed with until it closed in June 2004 at which point my wife Anne and I finally moved back to the States. We had only intended to stay in Germany for the three years she needed to complete her education as an Occupational Therapist (she's German - we met in Los Angeles). But I kept getting good work, including "Cats" in Hamburg, then "Glöckner" and the others so we stayed longer. I enjoyed my time in Germany very much.[/quote][/quote]

I know, you wrote it multiple times, wehre and what you played......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: