• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New cup mute

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakejw wrote:
I have tried the Ingram/Warburton, and I'm not nuts about it. Definitely prefer the RR [Robinson], followed by the H&B Mic-A-Mute (for section work).

Interesting, I was actually thinking about buying one, even though I already have a Robinson, to see how they compare. Anything specific that you don't like about the modern take on it?

Re: Facet
Not interested after they threatened to sue a friend of mine into bankruptcy for the unforgivable crime of also making mutes out of wood and selling them to trumpet players, mostly local to central Texas.

The claim was it was for "patent infringement" because... yeah, nobody ever made a mute out of wood before.

I have no interest in sending any money in that direction.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why? Are you wanting a new solo voice or a new ensemble voice? If a new solo voice, go try them all and buy the one you like. If a new ensemble voice, ask your conductor/director/section leader what is preferred to make a cohesive sound.

Since you have the two basic staples, you gotta ask these questions to make sure you know what you want to do.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
...The Wallace I had weighed something crazy - it was simply far too heavy for me... Sounded ok, but I simply didn't like using it....

Update on this thread: I bought the Wallace adjustable cup mute from ProWinds.com and received it yesterday (~$80):

http://www.prowinds.com/product/8017/Trumpet_Mutes

Personal observations:
• I also found it heavy, but I could have lived with that.
• The adjustable cup is difficult to move…pros and cons to that, of course. Maybe it has to be broken in or lubricated?
• Adjustable cup, as would be expected, allows for varying sound, but…
• …the sound is too “metallic” for my taste, and lacks the warmth I'd prefer to hear in a cup mute.

I still prefer the Wick and Harmon adjustable cup mutes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: