• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Would you eat them in a car?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
In other words as I accurately stated the seemingly unambiguous "Please Don't Sell or Trade Instruments in the Forums" is ignored for some individuals.

You are free to start your own forum with whatever rules you define and spend your time policing it. You do not see the number of posts and threads deleted and PMs sent when businesses cross our "excessive" threshold. We have day (and night) jobs and are inclined to let businesses have some slack, as stated in my original post, and most members appreciate the chance to see them here and exchange posts. A business can indeed be one person but requires a business license and all that jazz; it is not the same thing as an individual seller. And there are quite a few small businesses that have been OK'd to post (e.g. Torpedo, Mark Curry, Monster, etc.) that AFAIK the mods do not know personally. We have received few complaints about the policy but there are always the vocal one or two... You are welcome to start a business and check with the sysadmin about posting. Or PM the Moderators about any posts you feel are over the line. Or just keep berating me here, whatever; I have a little more work to finish up tonight.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject: would you eat them in a car? Reply with quote

I spent nearly 5 months looking on Ebay, Craigslist, WWBW, etc., including this website and was able to buy a used trumpet I am very much in love with and got it at a good price. The system the Forum has for contact makes emailing back and forth simple. I was able to ask the seller a few questions and so was he. In the end I felt like I was buying from another player instead of a music store dealer who is selling a fancy metal creation. I am really satisfied with your Forum.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My primary concern using the marketplace here is to get/provide a good and fair deal. As per first time sellers/below 5 forum postings- every reliable/acceptable seller (or buyer) had to start "new" somewhere. Whether here, Ebay, Craigslist or other sources, if one does the homework ahead of time and actually contacts the seller once or twice you should be fine. I've never been ripped off in any activities on internet sales, nor (I hope) have not had anyone upset with what I sold them. Due diligence, and caveat emptor. Seems fair enough to me.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The primary drivers for deciding to buy from someone have to do with the deal. How difficult is it to find what they're selling? How good is the price? How informative is the ad copy and how clear are the photos? Does the seller offer a trial period? Does s/he insist on PayPal friends and family (an immediate disqualifier)? Is it from out of the country (customs fees)?

If the deal makes it past these questions, then secondary questions include things like the seller's reputation. Being a new seller raises a caution flag, but it isn't necessarily a disqualifier. Everybody has to start somewhere. If I were concerned, I'd try to arrange a phone call for further questions so I could judge whether the seller seems legitimate.
Piccolo Stomvi
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you eat them in a car? Reply with quote

ghelbig wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:
What if the seller had five inane posts?

Five inane posts, and re-posts their ads every day so they stay at the top?

Or five inane posts and uses juvenile slang in their ads?

Or five inane posts and demonstrates a lack of knowledge in their ads?

We've got 'em all now. Whoopee!

Gary.

I would not, I could not;
not in a boat, nor stuck in a moat.

Seriously though, I have encountered ads here that interested me, but upon looking at the seller's posting history decided not to contact. Later to see that while the ad was still up, the link to it didn't work, rendering the ad unreadable. I always assumed that meant our mods in action, looking out for the good of the community.

I think TH staff deserves our respect, and thanks for furnishing this online community. Including the marketplace. I've gotten lots of great deals on gear I could've never tried otherwise.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you eat them in a car? Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
I think TH staff deserves our respect, and thanks for furnishing this online community. Including the marketplace. I've gotten lots of great deals on gear I could've never tried otherwise.

Agreed fully on the moderators. In some cases a thankless job.
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Would you eat them in a car? Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

I think a new record has been set: Five inane posts and twenty (20) horns posted for sale.

No bad horns, but none anywhere near a bargain.

G.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you eat them in a car? Reply with quote

ghelbig wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

I think a new record has been set: Five inane posts and twenty (20) horns posted for sale.

G.

Come on its only $32,721.00 in trumpets. LOL and no bargains to be had.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Would you eat them in a car? Reply with quote

chef8489 wrote:
ghelbig wrote:

G.

Come on its only $32,721.00 in trumpets. LOL and no bargains to be had.

That is definitely not the GOAT, (irrespective of if Tom Brady is or not) and I would definitely not eat them in a boat, in a moat, nor anywhere else. (Wondering if I increase my inane post count if it would help me sell stuff?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: