• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

'Roids and range

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NordicNorm wrote:
In the Second World War, the Germans fed their soldiers steroids to increase aggression and fearlessness. This also allowed them to go long periods without sleep (which is helpful in battle when you're attacking).

I think you might be misinformed. I was aware of the use of methamphetamine-containing substances by German pilots and soldiers, but I had never heard of the widespread use of steroids in the Wehrmacht. I just spent a bit of time researching, reading various historic articles in sources ranging from Deutsche Welle to The New York Post to Der Spiegel, and found no mention of steroid use in the German Army.

Adolph Hitler had regular injections of steroids into his blood, but the drug of choice for his soldiers and pilots was something called Pervitin, a German product patented in 1937 that contains methamphetamine, which is known today as crystal meth.

http://www.dw.com/en/a-fresh-light-on-the-nazis-wartime-drug-addiction/a-18703678

https://nypost.com/2016/10/06/nazi-marching-powder-hitler-had-soldiers-do-crystal-meth/

http://www.spiegel.de/international/the-nazi-death-machine-hitler-s-drugged-soldiers-a-354606.html

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
NordicNorm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
NordicNorm wrote:
In the Second World War, the Germans fed their soldiers steroids to increase aggression and fearlessness. This also allowed them to go long periods without sleep (which is helpful in battle when you're attacking).

I think you might be misinformed.
Best wishes,

John Mohan

Nope. In 2000, a former East German swimmer, Brigitte Berendonk, took the former head of East Germany's Olympic program, Manfred Ewald, to court.

During the trial, records were uncovered that documented the use of steroids in their WWII soldiers.

You can read all about it in in Steve Ungerleider's book: Faust's Gold: https://www.amazon.com/Fausts-Gold-inside-german-machine-updated/dp/1484912764

Although you are correct in the drug usage you point out. It's just not the entire picture.
Cornet: ‘84 Bach Strad 184 Shepherd’s Crook
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use steroids, but my mouthpiece is corked and I use pine tar.... :)
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A legend in strongman history. Appetite of beef, carbs, caviar. No roids.

Link
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Article (1976) :

"I really don’t like to eat. I get sick when I think of food."

Still, he recently managed to devour the following : Two chocolate cakes, two legs of lamb, several platefuls of peas, endless kegs of beer, tons of caviar, rice, fruits, roast beef and dressing, and salads of every conceivable variety. The great man was visiting the famed Carvery room, Tower Hotel in London en route to Montreal when he devoured this record-shattering fare."

Recently I had a chance to interview the waiter and several witnesses of the dining hall and they talked freely about immense difficulties in keeping the gregarious man satisfied. ..According to the chief waiter : 'He nearly bankrupted us. Every night he consumed a whole side of beef, several cakes, potfuls of potatoes, beans, puddings, and washed it all down with barrels of beer."
_______
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: