• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Question about terminology on hi notes

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are free to call them anything that you want to BUT:

Composers, Arrangers, Tuners, Students in Primary school and Players in most non US Nations, and the ITG ALL change registers at the Cs.

So A above the staff is A above the staff. A above High C is High A and Double A would be A above Double High C.

Most players around the world use the C3, D3, E3, F3, G3, A3, B3 and then C4 as the designation for the notes instead of a word name. You notice that the register changed at C.

Below is a more in depth explanation.

The piano is the instrument that most naming schemes come from.
They all stem from middle C.

Because of that the name of the register changes at the Cs.

We have approached this a little differently. We tried to name them Low middle and High. We all under stand Low G or Low C. (Even though it does not follow the other naming schemes.)

We all also understand High C (above the staff).

That leaves us with the notes starting on 2nd line G up to B below High C. Unfortunately the notes from G on the second line up to B below High C have NO common name. Middle C or 3rd space C is the exception.

The register normally changes at the Cs. But since we already call the G below the staff Low G that leaves no name for the 2nd line G. (People often refer to middle C but not middle D, E, F, G, A or B. That is because we broke a rule in naming Low G.

Therefore we say 2nd line G, G on top of the staff, 4th space E ect.

The Highs go from High C 2nd ledger line above the staff up to B 5th ledger line above the staff.

The Double register starts with Double High C on top of the 5th ledger line above the staff.

This isn't how other musicians name notes.

=============

Registers for every instrument start and change on the Cs.

In Composition, Theory, Arranging... the same rules apply for every instrument. The reason is so that they can call a note E4, F4, G4... or E', F', G'... and know what register they are talking about.

If we changed based on the lowest note then Clarinets, Sax, Trumpet... would change registers on different notes.

Clarinet has Low E and Trumpet Low F# as the lowest notes. So the 5th line F at the top of the staff would have been considered an octave displaced from the same note with the same sound on trumpet and clarinet. They simply couldn't have willy-nilly naming conventions. This wasn't usable for music nomenclature and so it was universally agreed to change at the Cs.

The ITG (International Trumpet Guild) adopted the system of changing at Cs back in the 70s. If you read many Journals you will see notes named C5, C6 or sometimes C'' or C '''.

Sadly even adopting C as the point of change we still have several methods of naming those Cs. A several hundred year old piano naming system and the tuner system are the leading systems.

The piano standard is VERY OLD. On an 88 key piano the lowest note is A. Yet the Registers were considered to change at C for hundreds of years.

Music printed in Braille use C1 - C8 to designated octaves just like tuners do.

Everyone world wide designates middle C on the piano as where the clefs change. This forever made C the starting point for registers.

==============

The C1, C2, C3, C4, C5 labeling is a way of naming these notes.

C1 is the lowest C and C8 is the highest note on an 88-key piano.

This is the system Korg tuners use.

============

Piano talk;

starting with lowest C on the piano...

Contra C (C1; CCC)

Great C (C2; CC)

Small C (C3; C) 2nd space C in bass staff

One-line C (C4; c') Middle C on piano (low C on trumpet)

Two-line C (C5; c'') 3rd space in treble staff (middle C on Trumpet)

Three-line C (C6; c''') (High C on trumpet)

Four-line C (C7; c'''') (Double High C on trumpet)

Five-line C (C8; c''''') (Triple High C on trumpet)

=========== Trumpets
Low C is 1 ledger line below the staff.

Middle C is in the third space of the staff.

High C is 2 ledger lines above the staff.

Double High C is on top of the 5th ledger line above the staff.

Triple High C is 9 ledger lines above the staff.

Quadruple High C is on top of the 12th ledger line above the staff.

These are the names that trumpet players and groups like the International Trumpet Guild have given these notes.

============

So for trumpet

Low C is C4 or C'

Middle C is C5 or C''

High C is C6 or C'''

Double high C is C7 or C''''

Triple high C is C8 or C'''''

==============
7,000 pages of free music. Trumpet Books, Skype Lessons: www.BbTrumpet.com
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

Remember this is supposed to be fun.
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pops rocks

The only reason why this is in doubt is because impoverished players with little range want to win pissing contests and claim double A's that dont exist.

Octaves begin with C

The D above High C is High D
The A above High C is High A
Double A is the A above double C

read it and weep
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bflatman wrote:
Pops rocks

The only reason why this is in doubt is because impoverished players with little range want to win pissing contests and claim double A's that dont exist.

Octaves begin with C

The D above High C is High D
The A above High C is High A
Double A is the A above double C

read it and weep

Yea that was my thought as well. I was taught dbl c was 6 line above
the staff an octave above the first c over the staff. When I read about 10th graders asking about how to get above that pesky double A, I cringe. I believe there may actually be 5 or 6 hi school players having trouble getting over double A, (haha) but anyone who has made it that far isn’t asking the forums to tell them how to get above it, they gots some real hi note skills to start with, and I doubt more than 1 or 2 teachers can really TELL someone how to get to triple range without some face to face time. I had a hi G in the 9th grade but only saw 2 charts above that and we played a lot of Buddy Rich and Woody Herman (actual transcriptions). Ive had some lessons with Jim Manley and he has real usable range to about double A (maybe higher), but there aren’t many who aren’t one trick ponyies in my opinion, and Ill bet none post about it on trumpet blogs.
Rod
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to throw one more twist into this, even though I agree with Pops and Denis -

since I learned to play piano before trumpet, low C on trumpet will always be middle C to me; except that it's really Bb, concert.

This ambiguity in the middle octaves served as a viable reason to play the written part in the octave of my choice, which usually meant 8va since trumpet parts in school literature are usually supposed to be powerful. This gave me lots of valuable practice in my formative years, and my Conductors loved it as long as I could make it sound good.

Consider it "plausible deniability," lol
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a further question. What is meant by “Super C?”
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, disagreeing with "Pops" on this forum is courting disaster, but this comment seems to me to be a little condescending:

"Composers, Arrangers, Tuners, Students in Primary school and Players in most non US Nations, and the ITG ALL change registers at the Cs."

I have been a professional composer, arranger and performer as well as having performed (and known musicians) from Ho Chi Min City clean around to Moscow. So I fit into that classification. And . . .

"So A above the staff is A above the staff. A above High C is High A and Double A would be A above Double High C.?"

In my parlance, and that of most of my own peers, put A below the staff as "low A", A in the staff as "Middle A", A above the staff as "High A", and A above that as "Double A".

What this says to me, and there's no reason to question Pops' experience, is that there must simply be some dissention on the terminology and that there is not one infallible system.

BTW razeontherock, the above refers only to like-instruments-to-like-instruments (trumpet alone).

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
What this says to me, and there's no reason to question Pops' experience, is that there must simply be some dissention on the terminology and that there is not one infallible system.

Which is all the more reason to adopt rufflicks' approach of "not being wrong." Rather than argue over hotdogs vs. frankfurters, speak and write in such a way as to maximize clarity - A below the staff, second space A, first ledger line A, A above high C, A above double C. If you said double A and someone said, "what do you mean?," how would you explain it? Avoid that exchange by just using the clarifying words first.

Everyone is welcome to argue over what's a double A (and I agree with Pops), but I'd rather just be understood and move on with my life.

And I'll still continue with my assumption that when someone says double-anything-other-than-C, they mean the octave below double C. I'm assuming that they're using the terminology wrong, but it seems much more likely than the notes above double C.

To me, "super C" is synomous with double C.
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I simply prefer understatement and am RELISHING the day when someone who doesn’t know me asks me to play a High A.........
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken, "Super C" is an operatic soprano designation for two ledgers above the staff.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoseLindE4 wrote:
Everyone is welcome to argue over what's a double A (and I agree with Pops), but I'd rather just be understood and move on with my life.

Yes, the mutual understanding is what's most important, and simply saying "A above the staff" or "A above high C" should take away any ambiguity.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
JoseLindE4 wrote:

Yes, the mutual understanding is what's most important, and simply saying "A above the staff" or "A above high C" should take away any ambiguity.

Which is exactly what I always do with students.
I say play a G on top of the staff or a second space A or an E above High C so that they have no reason to misunderstand.

Have a great day playing and enjoying the trumpet.
7,000 pages of free music. Trumpet Books, Skype Lessons: www.BbTrumpet.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: