• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Let's talk about the Edwards X-13 trumpet

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjborg

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Dayton"]
Quote:
Mine worked great for quintets and brass choirs. No issues with projection. The X-13 offers a big, full sound, but leans more toward the bright end of the spectrum.

I'm thinking of replacing my CG Selmer with the X-13 for use in brass quintet, church, solo work indoors. I'd like a little more resistance than the CG Selmer [for comparison, my C trumpet is a 1970 LB Getzen Eterna and my cornet an 1960's LB Eterna, and those seem about right], and I don't need quite as much projection as the CG Selmer offers, but I don't want to go too far towards more resistance / less projection as my other horns are LBs. Does the X-19 seem to make sense for that purpose? [I realize that mpc gap, venturi, and many other factors affect resistance . . . just trying to be sure my thinking here is logical].

I VERY MUCH appreciate all the previous responses; this is very helpful information for me!
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm thinking of replacing my CG Selmer with the X-13 for use in brass quintet, church, solo work indoors.

I think it is a terrific horn for those purposes, but the only way to know if it is the right horn for you is to try one.
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread got me looking into the Edwards X-13 and I see mention of a "pillar system first used on Edwards Trombones".

Can anyone point me to some information on what this "pillar system" is? Where is it, how does one use it, etc.?
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldwoods wrote:
This thread got me looking into the Edwards X-13 and I see mention of a "pillar system first used on Edwards Trombones".

Can anyone point me to some information on what this "pillar system" is? Where is it, how does one use it, etc.?
It's on the main tuning slide next to the water key.
This video has an explanation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8uMSTyOMpE
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldwoods wrote:

Here's another video addressing it (go to 6:03 and 12:37):

Link

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldwoods wrote:

The pillars screw into an area on the tuning slide. This area is a sweet spot that alters the resonance of the instrument.

I believe one pillar is nickel and the other is copper. Personally I felt that the horn resonated the most/best with no pillar. The nickel pillar focused the sound a little more, while the copper pillar mellowed the horn too much IMO.

It’s not something you can catch in a recording, because the changes are just in the harmonic frequencies. You’ll hear the difference in your ear when playing, not through headphones.

While the pillars do make a chance to the sound, I think they’re an unnecessary addition. The horn sounds exceptionally well with no pillars.
Eli’s Coming

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone used the X-13 in a big band setting as a lead horn ? I’m interested in trying one but am slightly concerned about the bore (large bore) and possibly feeling like running on empty at the end of a long gig ? As a comeback player my lung capacity is not what it was when I was in my 20’s.
Blending in with the section is a concern but I have no control over what trumpets my band mates play on. I’m used to large bell trumpets as that what I currently play on. Stomvi S3 and Eclipse LY. I play very little small combo work these days but when I do I use my Martin Committee.
ericmpena
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eli’s Coming wrote:
Has anyone used the X-13 in a big band setting as a lead horn ? I’m interested in trying one but am slightly concerned about the bore (large bore) and possibly feeling like running on empty at the end of a long gig ? As a comeback player my lung capacity is not what it was when I was in my 20’s.
Blending in with the section is a concern but I have no control over what trumpets my band mates play on. I’m used to large bell trumpets as that what I currently play on. Stomvi S3 and Eclipse LY. I play very little small combo work these days but when I do I use my Martin Committee.

While the X-13 seems large on paper, the bell is pretty narrow from what I remember. It doesn’t take a lot of air to play. With that said, there are probably better options for a dedicated lead horn. The X-13 is more about versatility.

I do want to add that there were a few things I was not a fan of with the X-13. Articulations sound too “poofy” and not crystal clear. The tone also seems slightly more smokey than other horns I’ve played. The satin finish on mine wore off in the first month (thankfully Getzen warranties the finish for 3 years). I also had issues with valves sticking when playing in the upper register and the Amado key on my main slide only opening half way.

I have a few videos comparing the X-13 to my Thane Performance. If you use headphones, the articulation clarity is night and day between the two…which is a big reason why I kept my Thane and sold the X-13.

Link

Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eli’s Coming wrote:

I have four Getzen-manufactured B-flats. Of the three non-vintage horns, the X-13 is the least demanding of air supply, but for a lead horn, I think the Eterna Classic beats it (though I am not a lead player by any means). If you get an X-13, I'd be interested in your comparison between that and the Committee in small combos.
cjborg

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject: Edwards X-13 for Lead Playing Reply with quote

I'm not a lead player but I can hear a difference between the Lotus and the X-13 in this recording of someone who is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe2r4k6YocM
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Edwards X-13 for Lead Playing Reply with quote

cjborg wrote:
I'm not a lead player but I can hear a difference between the Lotus and the X-13 in this recording of someone who is:

The Lotus sounds a little fuller to me. Anyone else?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Edwards X-13 for Lead Playing Reply with quote

cjborg wrote:

I like the X-13. To my ears, the X-13 had a better "sparkle" or resonance.
Dkjcliff

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my ears, the Lotus and X-13 have a similar quality to their sound that is unique to these trumpets. It almost sounds dry to me, but I don’t mean that in a negative way. They clearly both produce a huge sound and they seem like they are very easy to play. I’d love to hear them both in person.
donovan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really dig my X-13, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a lead horn.

I did a little review on it:

Link

Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donovan wrote:
I really dig my X-13, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a lead horn.

I did a little review on it:

Link
I totally love satin/scratch silver finishes! I wonder how they hold up long term.
donovan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
I totally love satin/scratch silver finishes! I wonder how they hold up long term.

Fine. We've been doing it to Sousaphones for decades....
cjborg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:33 pm    Post subject: X-13 valve guides and O-rings Reply with quote

Replaced my Selmer CG with an X-13 about 2 months ago . . . love the horn. Two huge improvements to make immediately, if you haven't already:

1. Remove all of the O-rings from the slides and valve block.. surprising increase in resonance.

2. Replace the plastic valve guides with either the brass or nickel guides that come with the horn . . . more increase in resonance.

3. Whichever metal guides you don't use in the X-13 - nickel or brass - put them into another Getzen horn . . . they fit perfectly and will improve the resonance.

P.S. These aren't theoretical differences perceived by the player - all combinations were recorded under identical conditions and played back into a spectrum analyzer. One may debate which sounds best and whether "improve" is an accurate term, but there are clearly differences.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: