• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Effects of Marching Band - Good or Bad?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet_cop
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaTrompeta wrote:

Chris Martin and his brother were in drum corps. It worked out pretty well for them, so I guess it can be done.

Really? Drum corps is what got them their respective jobs? You don't think it was Butler/Geyer and practicing real music while paying attention to the orchestral, non-moving music scene?

Every time I hear a DCI nut say that, I honestly just want to scream at them. Also, most kids who are super into marching band aren't smart enough to take things easy or separate that from concert sound. Add to this directors whose fundamentals approach barely differs, and you have students who you have to constantly steer in the proper direction week after week.
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet_cop wrote:
LaTrompeta wrote:

Chris Martin and his brother were in drum corps. It worked out pretty well for them, so I guess it can be done.

Really? Drum corps is what got them their respective jobs? You don't think it was Butler/Geyer and practicing real music while paying attention to the orchestral, non-moving music scene?

Every time I hear a DCI nut say that, I honestly just want to scream at them. Also, most kids who are super into marching band aren't smart enough to take things easy or separate that from concert sound. Add to this directors whose fundamentals approach barely differs, and you have students who you have to constantly steer in the proper direction week after week.

I don't think LaTrompeta is trying to say that DCI got the Martin brothers their skills/jobs, especially since the rest of the post shows some concerns about the effects of marching. I think the point is probably "they managed to do DCI and still play well without lingering negative effects", which is clearly true, and much less inflammatory.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really split. I enjoy drum corp and really liked Blast! when that was a thing. I've heard some brilliant playing. But I've also met DC players who were limited musician who didn't sound that great, couldn't play well at low dynamics and who can't read. My longtime teacher talks about all the DC players he's had to fix when the marching season is over.

I'm reasonably concerned about my ability to get my son out of marching band mode and into a more well-rounded routine. He's already resisting me with statements like "playing softly doesn't work for me". In a way, I really kind of wish that his initial HS experience was more informed by concert and orchestral playing before being pulled into the marching band.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaTrompeta wrote:

Peter Bond, also.
Thatoneguy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me marching band was mostly just a fun, temporary experience, but I too felt that it really reinforced bad habits. When we went into wind ensemble the next semester I felt like I was going deaf. I suppose it really depends on the band director, as mine really wanted to win competitions. So i guess the question really has to be do i want to be like an athlete and win competitions or be an artist and make some truly varied music.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Playing softly doesn't work for me."

I could've well said that for many years, during which time I had some pretty formidable chops. Here's the response I needed to hear:

that's because your chops are toast, fried half the time as you desperately struggle to recuperate after beating them to death in one performance, so you can convince yourself you're somehow "ready" to do it again in the next performance. I've seen you be frustrated from this process. When will you be ready to get off that hamster wheel?

Such a frank question will only serve well if you can in fact guide them off said 'hamster wheel.'

[Suffice to say, for me, marching band was horrible for my development as a player]

Last edited by razeontherock on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My college trumpet professor, who worked at a large state school with no trouble filling the marching band and who's students have had plenty of success, would encourage all of his incoming freshman to do at least one semester of marching band.

Marching band is the most visible performance opportunity most students will ever have. The bands with strong marching bands turn out some excellent musicians. The issue isnt the medium, it's the instruction. Those same issues arise in schools without marching and without quality teaching.

It's wise to go into marching eyes wide open, but there is a lot of places young musicians can grow while participating in marching band.
greg warthan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: effects of marching band Reply with quote

I marched for about 8 years with no ill effects. Most issues are a result of
overblowing. I always played loud, without overblowing. If one marches with a steady gait, the mouthpiece will not move on the chops. Played Paliacci, Tiger of San Pedro, Children Of Sanchez and many more, with high lead and solo parts. Never had a chop problem with this. Just my experience.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved marching band. I marched in an excellent band that was always at the top. It never hurt our chops, but maybe because our director was a trumpet player.

That said I always dreaded the approach of concert band season. Sitting around playing the boring repertoire day after day was mind numbing.

But say what you want, would you rather do away with opportunities for our youth to get involved in music?

The Santa Clara Vanguard has started a program to help backfill the lack of music in the schools and help delay the end of instrumental music in public schools.

Not only does marching give opportunities to many children, but it also gives them exercise.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
LaTrompeta wrote:

Peter Bond, also.

Alan Chez.....

Brad
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
In my freshmen year of high school you had to audition to get into the marching band and they had no problem filling it up and producing a good show. People were proud to march and liked doing it. The next year the original band director left and the new one made marching compulsory. From that time on the band sucked and most hated it.

Did the band suck and the kids hate it because of compulsory marching band, or because of the new director?

Brad
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
cheiden wrote:
In my freshmen year of high school you had to audition to get into the marching band and they had no problem filling it up and producing a good show. People were proud to march and liked doing it. The next year the original band director left and the new one made marching compulsory. From that time on the band sucked and most hated it.

Did the band suck and the kids hate it because of compulsory marching band, or because of the new director?

Brad

There's no doubt that mandatory participation hurt the morale of the group. That the new director seemed to be kind of a jerk certainly didn't help.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: