• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Efficiency

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pablopiccasso
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Efficiency Reply with quote

How do you play more easily, with centred ringing tone, and efficiency of effort?
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Efficiency Reply with quote

Pablopiccasso wrote:
How do you play more easily, with centred ringing tone, and efficiency of effort?

There are many ways (methods) that lead to the top of Mount Efficiency. Because everyone is unique there is no one way only your way. This requires dedication and a skilled teacher(s) who can point you in the right direction. But it all comes down to you at the end of the day. I wish you well.
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They work hand in hand, but for me for the most part, I can be relaxed and produce a terrible sound but can't produce a beautiful sound while tense. This means that I mostly chase the sound. If my sound is beautiful, I know I am playing more efficiently and more importantly, I know I'm producing a beautiful sound (which is kind of a big goal).

There are times where it can be helpful to seek relaxation as an end in itself for a period, but the feedback is ultimately the sound produced.

Once you intimately know the sound (which is a lifetime pursuit), chase it with everything you have.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you asked the most simple and hardest question to answer to !
at what point or level are you?
the best would be going to masterclasses, have lessons with a Master like Bobby Shew etc.

right now, see what you're doing with a visualizer, practice leadpipe, whisper tones etc etc etc
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Special Studies for Trumpet, by John Daniel. This has different kinds of exercises to promote embouchure response, flexibility and efficiency.

Then look at Franquin method, especially exercises on sound production, long tones with dynamic changes, and detached slurring—these will also improve embouchure response and efficiency a lot.

There’s a great brass chats video from Jim Pandolfi and Monster Oil that talks about finding a resonant sound:
https://www.brasschats.com/interviews/jim-pandolfi
Piccolo Stomvi
BBB1976
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Efficiency Reply with quote

Yes as mentioned John Daniels book 'Special Studies for Trumpet'
is a good way to go! Great stuff!
Dave CCM/SSO
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that it all has to do with tongue placement inside your mouth. Find a teacher that understands this concept and knows how to point you in the right direction.

The tongue should be further forward and higher in the mouth than many people realize. The idea of keeping everything "OPEN and FLAT" inside the mouth is incorrect in my opinion.

Great players like Dave Bilger, Bob Sullivan, Haken Hardenberger, and others use exercises each day to find the right "focus" of sound and tongue placement. They include but are not limited to note bending, lip flexibility studies, and lead pipe buzzing.

I have had huge success with my students by asking them to push their tongue so far forward in their mouth that they think it's wrong. Then I have the play a soft resonant tone with a note bend. I usually use a simple 2nd line g bent down to an f sharp. They are always amazed how easy the tone was produced. Once this concept is understood, they can move the tongue back a bit to find the right balance.

It's about shimmer and resonance. Just listen for "effortless shimmer' I'd bet you'll get it with a more focused set inside your mouth than you've ever thought possible.

Good luck, and have fun!!

Dave

Springfield Symphony Orchestra (OH)
- www.springfieldsym.org
Seven Hills Brass
- http://www.facebook.com/sevenhillsbrass
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an approach to achieving this. Use of air is a primary component of playing efficiently. Practice Earl D Irons Page 5 1-4 played as written with a soft nice tone with repeats at 66 Beats Per Minute or slower. If you can do this you will learn to use your air very efficiently. You will also learn proper mechanics when changing from note to note.

https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/twenty-seven-27-groups-of-exercises-sheet-music/162458

Best, Jon

Remember this is supposed to be fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: