• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Charlier's "36 Plus" New Book

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Charlier's "36 Plus" New Book Reply with quote

At qPress we just launched a new, nearly 300 page method from Theo Charlier. I just wanted to let you guys know about it.

It has contributions from Chris Gekker, Lou Ranger, Allan Dean, Giuliano Sommerhalder, Ed Carroll, John Wallace, Otto Sauter, Clement Saunier, David Baldwin, John Miller, David Elton, Karen Donnelly, Karin Bliznik and many more.

Book concept: You know those little footnotes at the bottom of each Charlier study? Many people don’t know this, but they are actually recommended exercises that a player should practice to help them prepare for the etude they are associated with. By taking all of those recommended supplemental studies, and with the help of editor Lou Ranger (ABQ, NY Phil, Aspen & UVic Professor Emeritus), translator Kelsey Anderson, and engraver John Laverty, qPress has compiled an epic and monumental 277 page Grand Method based on the studies of Théo Charlier. People were so excited about the project that everyone wanted to get involved, so this book also includes essays from the leading professional trumpeters along side a complete modern translation of Charlier’s original text.

This book has 37 chapters, one for each study (why 37 and not 36? You’ll see when you get there!). You start by reading a preface by a leading professional, then you work though the supplemental material to prepare your fundamentals, leading you to the Charlier study that completes the chapter.

It is available now in digital and print (with free shipping) and you are guaranteed to get it by Christmas if ordered by the 12th.
jhahntpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I impulse bought the electronic version yesterday. I can safely say that it was worth it. The pdf is well edited and attractive, the insights are amazing, and the inclusion of new "preparatory" exercises is great! As someone who's wanted to extend past the first 12 etudes, this makes the rest of the book realistically attainable.
Piccolo: Yamaha 9830
Flugel: Yamaha 8315G
Cornet: York Eminence
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so glad you like it!

This is the most extensive and in-depth book we have ever made. After 850 books that is really saying something!
Morogan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my printed version and, after looking through it for about an hour, have to congratulate all involved in its release. This is easily the finest treatment I've ever seen given to pre-existing trumpet material, and I don't say that lightly. The insights provided by the various artists, in addition to the supplemental related exercises for each piece, have already greatly augmented the value and my enjoyment of Charlier's already-beloved work.

Earlier this year I purchased the 1926 version, and I was a little aggravated when I saw this subsequent edition was released. In fact, I still think I prefer the order of the '26 version. Nonetheless, there is no comparison in terms of content now and I absolutely consider this new version to be the definitive one.

Kudos to all involved; it is truly brilliant.
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks! I think as people start to see the book in person they will know how special it is. I am glad you are enjoying it!
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a wonderful book. Having all of the recommended studies included with the actual Charlier etudes really makes this book a great resource. In addition, the notes that accompany each etude are informative and insightful.

The only downside, for me, is that the printed version of this book is on 8.5"x11" copier paper. The quality of the print is fine -- sharp and clear -- but shrinking some of the etudes down to fit on an 8.5"x11" sheet makes them hard to read compared to the Alphonse Leduc edition. Thus, I still find myself practicing out of my Leduc edition vice this one....
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Size is an issue, that is for sure. Many people find the Leduc publications too big to carry around, so it is all a compromise. I am glad you are digging the book!
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Size is an issue, that is for sure. Many people find the Leduc publications too big to carry around, so it is all a compromise.

Some may have complained about size of the old printed Leduc version -- I probably did as I lugged it back and forth from Eastman -- but in recent years Leduc has been printing Charlier at around 9"x12".
jhahntpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've stopped caring about etude book sizes entirely, iPad pro and ForScore have been the best thing to happen to my practice life. I used to contemplate a rolling teacher cube to move my books back and forth to the practice room. Now they're all about the size of a single book.
Piccolo: Yamaha 9830
Flugel: Yamaha 8315G
Cornet: York Eminence
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhahntpt wrote:
I've stopped caring about etude book sizes entirely, iPad pro and ForScore have been the best thing to happen to my practice life. I used to contemplate a rolling teacher cube to move my books back and forth to the practice room. Now they're all about the size of a single book.

This is exactly how I feel. I’ve gotten this feedback constantly since qPress opened up. The world is at your fingertips!
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also prefer to read music on the iPad Pro with ForScore. FYI, here's a comparison of the first few staves of the qPress digital version of Charlier #1 on the iPad vs. the printed book from Leduc:

The iPad format is slightly smaller, but still large enough for me to read comfortably at the usual distance from the music stand. If it were too small, I'd turn the iPad on its side to show the page in landscape mode, which is actually larger than the print book:

This would require more taps to scroll from top of page to bottom of page, but that's easy with a bluetooth foot pedal. I used to read music this way on the original iPad, but I don't need to do that with the larger one. (YMMV)
Piccolo Stomvi

Last edited by dstdenis on Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right that iPad Pro is by far the best for this. I used to landscape my old iPad too, not needed any more!
noahbenson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had purchased a Charlier book that wasn't the normal one and didn't have the famous number 2 in it. Is there more than one?
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, the 1926 Charlier is what you are referring to. That edition has all of the same studies of the modern edition, they are just in a different order. I think Charlier 2 is number 8 in that version? I would have to double check.

Charlier's 36 Plus is a new publication with supplemental material from Charlier and forwards from leading professionals. 36 Plus has all of the studies in the conventional order.

https://qpress.ca/product/charliers-36-plus-transcendental-studies-complete-supplemental-material/
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I had purchased a Charlier book that wasn't the normal one and didn't have the famous number 2 in it. Is there more than one?

In addition to "36 Etudes Transcendantes", Charlier also wrote "32 Etudes de Perfectionnement."

The studies in "32 Etudes" are different than those in "36 Etudes." "32 Etudes" was originally written for tuba and then transcribed for trumpet by David Baldwin.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
Quote:

In addition to "36 Etudes Transcendantes", Charlier also wrote "32 Etudes de Perfectionnement."

The studies in "32 Etudes" are different than those in "36 Etudes." "32 Etudes" was originally written for tuba and then transcribed for trumpet by David Baldwin.

I also see that qPress offers the 32 Etudes book for trombone and tuba but not the version for trumpet which is offered by another publisher.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I also see that qPress offers the 32 Etudes book for trombone and tuba but not the version for trumpet which is offered by another publisher.

You are right, we do not sell the David Baldwin publication, but we are making our own adaptation to go along with the rest of our set to come out in the first half of this year. Stay tuned!
timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great new reviews are starting to come in for Charlier's 36 Plus. I am glad to see so many people enjoying it!

"Everyone who is truly interested in finding their own unique voice will be thrilled not only by the presentation of Charlier's iconic studies, but also by supplemental exercises by Balay, Chavanne, Laurent, Petit, Maxime-Alphonse and Arban. The best of you will be dining on these 273 pages for a lifetime."

Ed Carroll.

"Folks, if there is one piece of literature you invest in this year, even if you have a previous copy of this particular work, this is one you simply must buy. Having the additional study integrated into Charlier's work is a time-saving stroke of genius and it is clearly a labor of love. I paid for the upgrade to print which takes about 10 business days for shipping and is spiral bound. Everyone associated with this project is to be commended, and I hope to see more like this coming from qPress in the future."

The Trumpet Call Blog

"I received my printed version of the new Charlier book and, after looking through it for about an hour, wanted to congratulate you and everyone associated with its release. This is easily the finest treatment ever given to pre-existing trumpet material, and I don't say that lightly. The insights provided by the team you've assembled, in addition to the supplemental related exercises for each piece, greatly augment the value and enjoyment of Charlier's already-beloved work.

Kudos to all involved; it is truly brilliant."

timothyquinlan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe it has been a year since this book was released!

Today we are starting an anniversary event that puts all of 36 Plus, plus all of our other Charlier translations, along with new print books from Sabarich, Gattermann, and Hohne, all on sale in print and digital with free worldwide shipping.

This is worth a look if you have not seen this incredible collection.

Click here to see the full annotated guide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: