• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Musty old case aroma

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Musty old case aroma Reply with quote

I have a vintage Schilke single case that I haven't used for quite some time. Started using it recently on some shows where the convenience of using that case & its extra space for mutes & such makes the schleppiage much easier.

However...it has a very strong musty old-case aroma to it. It's so strong that when I open the case in a pit that anyone remotely close can smell it.

I really like the case and haven't seen any for sale on any trumpet sites for a long, long time, plus I'd rather not replace it if I can help it.

I've tried FeBreeze, but that only masks the odor and it really doesn't last all that long, either. If I use a lot of FeBreeze then THAT aroma is very noticeable in a pit.

Any suggestions on how or what to use to get the musty aroma eliminated?

Thanks!

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember buying a case from a cigar smoker once...I used a spray bottle to wet the lining with water and left if outside in the sun on a warm summer day. Seemed to work.

I've heard white vinegar does the trick pretty well, too.

johnlakejazz.com
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sprayed them with Febreeze and left them outside in the sunshine during a few hot days in succession and it helped a lot. No Febreeze odor afterward, either. After that, leave it open at home until whatever remaining odor subsides.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure it's the case, Tim?

One other thing I have done is to place an open box of baking soda or borax in the case and closed it up for a few days. Seemed to help, though sunlight and fresh air did as well or better. Guessing a few hot, sunny days is not an option for you right now...
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
Sure it's the case, Tim?

One other thing I have done is to place an open box of baking soda or borax in the case and closed it up for a few days. Seemed to help, though sunlight and fresh air did as well or better. Guessing a few hot, sunny days is not an option for you right now...

Maybe a tanning booth? (Joke)
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
Sure it's the case, Tim?

gee...I never thot but yeah...maybe it's that my NOSE is old & musty!

I've tried the baking soda thing...didn't do much.

I'm thinking it's gonna hafta be wait until warmer weather & set it in the sun for a good amount of time.

In the mean time, wondering if spending some time with a heat gun would do anything to destroy whatever kind of mold it is that's creating the odor - any thoughts on that approach?

I'll also give the white vinegar thing a try.

Thanks for all the suggestions - please keep 'em coming!

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh. The same old stuff will now be trotted out. Febreeze, exposure to bright sunlight, ozonator, random nostrums including Bounce sheets. The bottom line is that unless you kill the mould spores and microorganisms inhabiting your case the stink will continue. Find a spore and bactericide that will work. In the meantime the voodoo dance will continue.
aTrumpetdude

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that spray pet odor eliminator Nature's Miracle last time I had a real bad one and it worked well. I also will leave a piece or charcoal litter box filter in old smelly cases. One more thing I started leaving those little silica desiccant packs in all my cases to control moisture.
1969 Conn 8b Artist
1980 238 CL
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm1qCev_sfof-Bfj5MAMLrQ
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uberopa wrote:
Sigh. The same old stuff will now be trotted out. Febreeze, exposure to bright sunlight, ozonator, random nostrums including Bounce sheets. The bottom line is that unless you kill the mould spores and microorganisms inhabiting your case the stink will continue. Find a spore and bactericide that will work. In the meantime the voodoo dance will continue.

Well, the voodoo has worked for some of us, though it may well be we just masked the problem for a while. Make sure the mold killer you use is nontoxic or can be (somehow) washed out. The main reason I did not suggest that is because the couple I have looked at it the past were not recommended for fabrics, or anything that you would touch, and had to be cleaned up afterwards (one with a special rinse). But, I was looking at nasty MS black mold stuff in the walls and floors, so there may well be something that works for this. Know any to look for?

White vinegar may help but has its own odor plus can bleach fabric. Just remembered I sprayed (soaked) one old case with Lysol spray and let it air out. Seemed to work, and comes in your choice of smells...
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aTrumpetdude wrote:
I tried that spray pet odor eliminator Nature's Miracle last time I had a real bad one and it worked well.

It’s nice to know it works for something. It and another product didn’t do anything when I used it on cat odor.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I worked at a local Infinity dealership that took in high-line used cars on trade. To get rid of car odors, one trick they used was this:

-Pour some fresh, unused coffee grounds into a container...could be plastic, like Tupperware, or metal, like an actual, say, half-full metal can of Folger's, but it needs to be "short" enough so that you can put it inside the case and still be able to close the lid of the case.
-Cut up an apple in wedges and put on top of the coffee grounds.
-Set inside your stinky case and close the lid. (They'd put it in the back seat area of a car.)
-Let it stay like that over night or maybe even a full 24 hours. The coffee grounds will absorb the odors, and the apples combined leave a pleasant smell.

We did this to a used 1990 Jaquar XJ series that had been sold and came back trashed after the buyer used a bogus check as a deposit. There were cigarette butts everywhere inside that once beautiful car. After it was "treated" with this technique, you could not tell it had been trashed.

If this doesn't work, Tim, then sell your horns and buy a Jaquar. I'm told you won't regret it.
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your case has mold and no case is worth the health risk to you and others. Pro-Tec makes the Pro-Tec Standard Trumpet Case with large storage area for mutes. Do your colleagues a favor and buy a nice new sturdy case for under $100.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
gabriel127
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree with plankowner.

The dangers of mold are just beginning to get into the public awareness. Some people genetically are more resistant to the autoimmune and chronic illness can cause, while others can indeed get very sick from exposure to mold.

Yes, mold is everywhere, including outdoors. But when it becomes concentrated and embedded in porous materials, it proliferates and can be very harmful to those with these objects in their environment.

Depending on the species of mold being dealt with, some people are told by the mold experts to get rid of all of their clothes, all of their furniture that has wood in it, basically anything porous in their houses. If their house has wood framing, they are often told to move to a new house with no wood in it. Washing and drying clothes does not remediate the mold. Experts claim that in a house, certain species of mold can not be remediated. Some people have actually declared their homes a total loss, made insurance claims and then demolished the houses because they are safe to no one. I remember seeing one such case documented on a TV program. The house was in Texas and it was a 6-million dollar house. The mold problem originated from a leaky ice-maker line to the fridge that got into the wood flooring and was undetected for a long time.

Sounds shocking and extreme, but it's true. Stachybotrys mold is one of the most lethal to humans. When mold gets into your system, it is very tough to get out and it generates mycotoxins which poison the brain, causes inflammation, and over the long term causes many other diseases including alzheimers and cancer just to name a couple.

Stachybotrys is not that common, but aspergillus is and it can cause havoc with the health.

This is why it's important to keep wind instruments clean and to not bring any old vintage instruments and cases into the house 'cause it can contaminate the whole house over time.

It's very common for the cases of old vintage instruments to be infested with mold because quite often, an instrument that hasn't been swabbed dry gets put into a case. Then the instrument in the case goes into a closet or attic and stays there for many years. These are prime conditions for mold growth. So the instrument becomes full of mold and so does the case. Then someone comes along 30 years later, puts the horn up to their mouth and inhales a bunch of mold spores. And just being in the presence of the case they'll be breathing in a bunch too.

In such a case, the instrument can be cleaned ultrasonically or acid washed. Because the metal won't hold on to the mold spores so it is salvageable. But the case is not.

It's a tough thing to do because we all love vintage instruments and they can be sold for more money when they come with an original case that's still in good physical condition. But it's not worth the health risks to the seller or the buyer. Best thing to do is throw the case in a dumpster somewhere.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Musty old case aroma Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
I have a vintage Schilke single case that I haven't used for quite some time. Started using it recently on some shows where the convenience of using that case & its extra space for mutes & such makes the schleppiage much easier.

However...it has a very strong musty old-case aroma to it. It's so strong that when I open the case in a pit that anyone remotely close can smell it.

I really like the case and haven't seen any for sale on any trumpet sites for a long, long time, plus I'd rather not replace it if I can help it.

I've tried FeBreeze, but that only masks the odor and it really doesn't last all that long, either. If I use a lot of FeBreeze then THAT aroma is very noticeable in a pit.

Any suggestions on how or what to use to get the musty aroma eliminated?

Thanks!

Not very common and i am not joking , belive me it works.
Go to a Greek food store and buy a small pack of greek coffe boil water (about 3 cups of coffe) with 3 full spuns of coffe .
Then put it in a container and put the container in the case (carefully, do not spill the coffe inside the case) and close the case , leave it at least 1 or two days .
After if you live in a sunny territory leave the case one day open in the sun.
This always works for all kind of smells .

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uberopa wrote:

Sun is a bactericide, it kills mold spores. Also if its a hot and dry day the heat will help kill mold not in direct sunlight. 140F is fatal to most molds. You could probably rig something in the grill to fry 'em. Just be careful not to fry the whole case.

Some treatments are just absorbing the worst of the odor but others can work on the mold itself.
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never played a vintage case I liked very much... the horns, that is a different story.

You will probably never be able to get the mold smell out completely, even if you leave it in the sun for a month of Sundays. (Remember that you will be continually be adding moisture to the system everytime you put your recently-played horn away.) Bite the bullet sooner rather than later. Toss the old one and buy something new.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been dealing with a particularly smelly case for a 1945 King Cornet. I'm just about to throw in the towel on it. Shame it smells so bad because it looks kind of cool. However, I would never put my lips on anything that was stored in it.

I've done the sunshine thing. I've put it next to one of those airline ionization air purifiers for days. I've sprayed it with Fabreeze. I'm reluctant to waste good coffee beans on the thing.

So, if anybody comes up with ultimate fix, let me know.

Anybody interested in an old, smelly vintage King cornet case? You can have one - cheap.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gabriel127 wrote:
...The dangers of mold are just beginning to get into the public awareness. Some people genetically are more resistant to the autoimmune and chronic illness can cause, while others can indeed get very sick from exposure to mold.

...I remember seeing one such case documented on a TV program. The house was in Texas and it was a 6-million dollar house. The mold problem originated from a leaky ice-maker line to the fridge that got into the wood flooring and was undetected for a long time.

I remember seeing that documentary as well!

Yeah, Tim, maybe the coffee grounds will have to be used for brewing only and the apples for feeding to your cat. (Not sure that you have a cat, but I'm pretty sure they don't eat apples.) Also, we know it would be a few months before you'll get some hot, sunny days in NYC/NJ, and who wants to leave their case outside with the potential pollutants! Wish there was a fix.

I had the smell in an older Getzen flugelhorn case and Bach cornet case after they got water damage from rising water in the basement apartment of a bungalow in Chicago years ago. The lead player I've since sat next to has consistently complained when I had a flugel double. I could smell it but didn't find it as noxious as he did. Some people are definitely more sensitive than others. Those horns and cases have since been sold.

Does anyone know how to officially confirm the mold? I guess he'd have to take it to a lab and get it swabbed to have thoroughly tested. By then, with the appointment-setting and travel time, plus expense to have this done, he could have bought two or three cases!
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a thought to use a hair dryer or heat gun. Here's a google result:

HEAT GUN VS HAIR DRYER: THE HEAT TOOL THROW DOWN

http://blog.masterappliance.com/tool-tips/2016-08-31/heat-gun-vs-hair-dryer-the-heat-tool-throw-down/

"The heat gun obviously wins this round. Master Appliance heat guns can reach temperatures of up to 1,000 Fahrenheit. A handheld blow dryer might reach 131 degrees Fahrenheit. A hair dryer gets hot enough to burn skin, but not hot enough to complete serious tasks like striping paint and removing serious adhesives."

If the bacteria can be killed at 140 degrees (F) as one previous poster responded, then maybe using a heat gun could kill off all of it. Guess you have to be careful not to put your case on fire...
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got mildew. I have about 30 old early 1900s cornets lying around (some old saxes, too) and they all had the same problem. The sunshine and a mildew spray took care of most of the problem for me, and I'd bet a sun lamp or even standing the open case fairly close to a space heater for a while would also kill the live mildew. (Disclaimer- not so close that the insides of the case catch fire- used to be you didn't need to say that, but city folk and all...) Vacuum the case thoroughly, put a drier sheet or two in and close it for a day or so, then repeat. It'll also kill the bedbugs... You can also help by wiping the lether parts of the outside with some Lemon Pledge.

You've got to quit storing your wet leadpipe swabs in your case...

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: