• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Besson Flugelhorn made in London— Are they any good?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sthomas98

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Besson Flugelhorn made in London— Are they any good? Reply with quote

Hi,

I am looking at possibly getting a Besson flugelhorn— this particular one was made in London, Britain, and is the "Class A, 50 Medals of Honor, Prototype" model. It also says "Brevete" on the valve casing (but not the bell), so maybe it was a prototype for the Brevete flugelhorn that was made in France eventually? Seems in good condition for its age, valves work well and everything. Unfortunately I cannot get to play it before I buy it, so I do not know if I will like how it plays. I've seen a lot of people who like the Besson Brevete flugelhorn that was made pre-war in France, but I've not heard anything about the prototype or any of the London models.

Anybody have any experiences with this type of Besson flugelhorn?
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played a couple and thought them very average... then again, I've thought the same of all but one queenie I've ever come across.

I guess it depends on the price and what you want it for - I wouldn't buy an instrument that old without being able to play it first, personally.
sthomas98

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's being sold from the UK for the equivalent of about $175 US dollars. I'm only considering it because it seemed interesting, and I've heard pretty good things about the French Besson Brevetes. I would not be using it very much probably... Mainly just for messing around on or using in a jazz group. I just don't want to go buy it if the London Bessons tend to be junk
brassmusician
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you would be better off picking up a doublers flugel from Trent Austin (Austin Custom Brass) or a second hand Yamaha student flugel, or vintage pro model from ebay. By the time to pay for postage etc you wouldn't be saving yourself much and with Besson London anything....I wouldn't be holding my breath it is a great player. Vintage Besson horns made in France, different story.
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn’t waste my money on it. Even the newer Bessons are pretty average for playing and tuning. And that seems expensive for something that old.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on it being a waste of money. B&H and English Besson instruments are NOT French Besson trumpets.

The difference between the Besson and B&H instruments were purely cosmetic and where they were assembled. Those fulfils are only marginally better than the Sovereign models, which are universally thought to be unplayable.

Just buy a Yamaha and enjoy playing flugel!

cheers

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: