• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lead, Jazz, or both?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpete62

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Lead, Jazz, or both? Reply with quote

Why do players get labeled as a Lead Player or a Jazz Player? How many players, like Bobby Shew, can do both at an extremely high level?
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Lead, Jazz, or both? Reply with quote

Trumpete62 wrote:
Why do players get labeled as a Lead Player or a Jazz Player? How many players, like Bobby Shew, can do both at an extremely high level?

A "lead player" is typically thought of as a "high note" player but there is a lot more to playing the lead book than playing high notes. In addition to command of the high register you need extreme accuracy, great projecting sound and stylistic integrity.

A "jazz player" is typically thought of as an "improvisational" player. A "jazz player" doesn't need the high note range of a "lead player" in order to be a great "jazz player."

Bobby Shew has everything: High notes, extreme accuracy, a great projecting sound (he has a beautiful clear "bell tone" sound in the high register like Carl Saunders - very unusual), stylistic integrity and superb improvisational ability. There are very few players that can match up with Bobby Shew in terms of being both a great "lead player" and a great "jazz player".
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many (but not all) of the greatest lead players were excellent improvisers. The difference between great and forgettable lead playing is style. Since the foundations of jazz vocabulary are rooted in improvisation, it makes sense that careful study of improvisation would develop a strong sense of style.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please name the top 10 top lead players who were also excellent improvisers. I wouldn't have thought so. Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Please name the top 10 top lead players who were also excellent improvisers. I wouldn't have thought so. Thanks.

I’ve been thinking about this for a while. Besides Bobby Shew that was mentioned, Snooky is all I can think of from many great and famous lead trumpet players from big bands that are “excellent” jazz soloists.

Wayne Bergeron has been becoming a very good featured soloists over the last decade or so. And “excellent jazz improviser”? I don’t know about all that but his features are exciting and his soloing is intellectually correct and fun to listen to and I’m sure can play cocktail sets and cover soloing on tunes.

I’d be curious who else the poster was referring to as well.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect he is referring to the earlier generations of trumpet players. From the 'golden days'
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"He" being who, LOL?
If that refers to me, I just mean in general. I mean, I assume that many can hold their own, but that's just an assumption. I just really don't know.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
y-o-y
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd add Lew Soloff and Jon Faddis to the list.
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y-o-y wrote:

Good additions! From that older NYC school of players, I’d add Earl Gardner to that list as well.

And don’t forget about Ryan Kisor from a more modern lead trumpeter with excellent jazz chops.
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger Ingram can play some jazz as well. I heard him with Harry Connick some years back come out front and blow a nice improvised solo.
Danny Stiles, who played lead and featured soloist with Bill Watrous's New York Big Band is another name. Danny passed away some years back so many younger players may have never heard of him. I had the chance to rehearse and play with him back in the mid 70's. A really good all around player and a pretty good guy as well.
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In no particular order...

Wayne Bergeron
Greg Gisbert
Frank Greene
Tony Kadleck
Eric Miyashiro
Dan Fornero
Harry James
Maynard Ferguson
Doc Severinsen
Adam Rapa
Rashawn Ross
Arturo Sandoval
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were talking about proficient lead trumpeters that are EXCELLENT jazz improvisers right?

That means can cover the jazz chair, or lead a small group while using real bebop vocabulary and mature intelligent harmonic choices and melodies beyond high note pyrotechnics that most lead chair trumpet players revert to while attempting a solo.

It’s a short list I’m afraid.

Greg Gisbert is a great addition btw. He can do anything and always sounds so good. A real utility trumpeter that can cover any chair and always has something positive to say.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.trader wrote:
We were talking about proficient lead trumpeters that are EXCELLENT jazz improvisers right?

That means can cover the jazz chair, or lead a small group while using real bebop vocabulary and mature intelligent harmonic choices and melodies beyond high note pyrotechnics that most lead chair trumpet players revert to while attempting a solo.

It’s a short list I’m afraid.

I did some jazz quintet gigs with Dave Stahl back in the early 80s (I was playing bass trumpet), and he sounded absolutely fantastic. He met all the criteria you listed (above).

There's also a young guy I encountered a few years back (when I directed the short-lived big band at Brevard Music Center) named Doug Reneau who is now in the Oregon Symphony. No matter what chair or what style, he is the real deal. One of the most beautiful trumpet sounds I have ever heard in my life, period.
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few repeats but some others not mentioned:
Bobby Shew
Snooky Young
Kevin Bryan
Tony Kadleck
Brian McDonald
Pete Candoli
Brian Lynch
Chuck Findley
Walter White
Bill Chase

Pete
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being able to speak well extemporaneously tends to help one become a good orator. It is by no means a requirement, but it tends to help. When we look at some of the greatest lead players (see the lists above), we see the same thing. Being fluent enough in the style to improvise well isn't a requirement, but it sure seems to help. We're talking about great lead players, not high note jocks.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most good lead players are WAY better jazz players than pure jazz players playing a lead book.

Add some names
Mike hale
Benny bailey
Buddy Childers
Cat Anderson

Already mentioned but whose names can’t be stressed enough in a thread like this:
Lew Soloff
Jon faddis
Bill chase
Danny stiles
Doc severinsen (better jazz player than given credit for)
Marvin stamm
Chuck Findlay
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
y-o-y
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.trader wrote:
y-o-y wrote:

Good additions! From that older NYC school of players, I’d add Earl Gardner to that list as well.

And don’t forget about Ryan Kisor from a more modern lead trumpeter with excellent jazz chops.

Another one: Derek Watkins.
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Stahl was mentioned. How could I forget about him. He’s my favorite lead player on those Buddy Rich and Woody records. And he plays such great jazz as well. I’ve seen him in a few small group settings never plying a nite above high C and just playing the smartest most enjoyable jazz.

Another underrated player is a guy from Florida Chris Labarbera. He has high note chops and style as good as any lead trumpet player. So clean and pure and never misses. Then his jazz can be very reserved in a cocktail gig setting or he has just burning bebop vocabulary and such slick lines all over the horn.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, guys.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we can agree on whether a certain player is a strong lead player. The problem is agreeing on who is a great improvisational player, too. Evaluating the strength of a player on lead is more objective than evaluating the strength of a player improvising. Lead can be taste specific but improvisation is even more taste specific.

What's the standard for a "great" or "excellent" improvisational player? Is it Clifford, Freddie, Woody, Miles, Dizzy or Wynton? Someone else? I don't know the answer. I think that's the biggest problem in compiling a list. I don't know that there are any lead players who can match up with Clifford, Freddie, Woody, Miles, Dizzy or Wynton in terms of improvisation. However, I don't know that Clifford, Freddie, Woody, Miles, Dizzy or Wynton should be the standard.

Bobby Shew is awesome. So is Carl Saunders. So is Ryan Kisor. So is Greg Gisbert. So was Snooky Young. Should those players be representative of the standard we're using? I don't know.

There are many lead players, already mentioned, who are also very good improvisational players. The two skills are not mutually exclusive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: