• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

My 1 week long playing collapses

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: My 1 week long playing collapses Reply with quote

I've been playing trumpet as an amateur for almost 10 years now and I believe I finally got the proper feel of it if you know what I mean. That is I no longer rely on pressure, I settled on a center-focused embouchure with good lips padding and I know how to control the air. For my amateur needs that's all I need.

What worries me however is that from time to time I experience dramatic 1 week long collapses in my playing abilities. In the worst case it can take up to 2 weeks!
A usual scenario goes like this: I play normally for a couple of months within my current range and from day to day it goes without much variation. I play/practice for couple hours a day. Sometimes there are 'bad days' but I now know how to deal with them: it takes just a little longer to warm up and I can turn one into a 'tolerable day'.

Then suddenly with no apparent reason one day I take out the trumpet and I feel that my lips just don't want to play. There is no vibration in them at all. They feel completely like I'm blowing through cotton wool. It's not like a typical 'bad day' that I described above. It's something different I can't explain. No amount of warm up can cure that state. It's just like wasting my time on trumpet. It just "doesn't play".

It will last for at least one week (sometimes up to 2 weeks) and then at some point it will just 'click' and return to normal.

I experienced that effect right from the beginning of my trumpet playing and over years I kept telling myself: "Some day it will stop and I'll learn to play without those collapses". It doesn't happen! What might be the reason?

I've always tried to mentally project this 'collapsed lips state' onto my overall physical feel and I could find no correlation. For instance, I do push ups in the beginning of my day. Some days I can feel tired pushing up and those correspond to 'normal' 2 months trumpet playing periods.
On the other hand when a '1 week trumpet collapse' comes I may feel myself perfectly fit with pushing up exercises.

I want to reiterate once again: it's really a 'collapsed' 1(2) week(s) of actually almost not being able to play at all, not just your typical 'bad day'. Am I alone on this?
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to answer with questions, but these might be helpful for better diagnosis.

1. How is your saxophone embouchure doing on the "collapse" days for your trumpet (from your alias, I gather you do play saxophone, too)?

2. Is your trumpet in good mechanical alignment on these days? Leaky corks, partially rotated pistons etc?

3. How is your free buzzing on a mouthpiece on good vs bad days?
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dislike associating a problem with a mouthpiece, however, inconsistency could be a sign that your mouthpiece is too small for you. Why? Because in that small cup, a little change makes a lot of difference. This causes embouchure inconsistency, leading to "bad days."

Similarly, watch out for exercises that may cause you to alter your embouchure. For example, pedal tones, whisper exercises, and high notes. Be aware of any differences happening inside your embouchure from note to note.

Play soft. This may help your lip responsiveness, making those bad days less bad. Scales, Clarke exercises, etc.

Be aware of overtraining. A strenuous practice may cause a rough day. Maybe take it easy the following day. Go easier on the lip spurs, loud volume exercises, high notes, or any isometrics you may do.

Improve endurance to make the strenuous practices not so bad.

Good luck!
CJ
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
Sorry to answer with questions, but these might be helpful for better diagnosis.

1. How is your saxophone embouchure doing on the "collapse" days for your trumpet (from your alias, I gather you do play saxophone, too)?

2. Is your trumpet in good mechanical alignment on these days? Leaky corks, partially rotated pistons etc?

3. How is your free buzzing on a mouthpiece on good vs bad days?

Good questions!

I'll start from the last one in reverse:
3. Yes! The MP is the first indicator of how good my playing session is going to be. On those 'collapsed' weeks when I start my session with a free buzz (and I always do!) it just won't vibrate the lips. The lips just feel as if they are made of cotton wool.

2. My trumpet is fine (I have a few of them) but lately for several years I was using my almost new Yamaha YTR 4335G.

1. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I don't play sax any longer. In fact I switched from sax to trumpet long time ago and never looked back.

Last edited by SaxoTrump on Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for useful hints.
I was thinking about over-training or doing something completely new in a persistent manner. I understand it can cause temporary loss of lips control for a next day session. But a whole week off? Can that be possible with over-training?

CJceltics33 wrote:

Similarly, watch out for exercises that may cause you to alter your embouchure. For example, pedal tones, whisper exercises, and high notes. Be aware of any differences happening inside your embouchure from note to note.

Play soft. This may help your lip responsiveness, making those bad days less bad. Scales, Clarke exercises, etc.

Be aware of overtraining. A strenuous practice may cause a rough day. Maybe take it easy the following day. Go easier on the lip spurs, loud volume exercises, high notes, or any isometrics you may do.

Improve endurance to make the strenuous practices not so bad.

Good luck!
CJ
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the kinds of questions I'd be asking myself to look for patterns that could help identify possible causes: How often or frequently do these collapses occur (once a year, twice a year, etc.)? Do they happen at the same time(s) of year, or at random times? Is there any correlation with seasons of the year? Is there any lip swelling? Is it related to strenuous playing and over-exertion? Is it related to playing commitments or activity with bands/organizations? Might it be related to medications or health issues? Dehydration?

If you can identify patterns, symptoms, causes, etc., then you can find solutions. Good luck.
Piccolo Stomvi
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On those 'collapsed' weeks when I start my session with a free buzz (and I always do!) it just won't vibrate the lips. The lips just feel as if they are made of cotton wool.

When you start out with free buzzing, you may be over taxing your chops when they are not ready. I might suggest that going forward you begin your warm up with a much less strenuous approach for a while and see how that works. Emphasis on the words "much less strenuous". Try 5 minutes of low playing such as the first half page of Clarke 1 and 2. I hope that you find out what is causing your "collapse" of the chops. Remember to avoid playing on tired chops as further injury can result.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds as if you continue on to your trumpet, even though things are not right. I would suspect that this is the normal sate of affairs for you, even if you don't notice small subtle issues in your playing. this adds up and all of a sudden, you ned (as in NEED) to take time off.

My thought is to to take even more care setting up each day. Get the basics right, and if they are not, STAY with them until they are. The risk is we get caught up in preparing to perform XYZ, and so forget, ignore, don't bother with our essential setup. Unlike a piano, which works for ALL players (just hit the key) we play an instrument which is a human sound, and that needs a lot more TLC.

Then, a day with 'no buzz' but you work don THAT, becomes a day of positive practice - hopefully, things get better from there...

Hope that helps.

cheers

andy
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1 week long playing collapses Reply with quote

SaxoTrump wrote:
I settled on a center-focused embouchure

Can you clarify what you mean by this?

Also do you take lessons?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was taking lessons but my teacher could not explain my 1-week embouchure collapses. So I posted this thread to hear from other people if they possibly experience anything similar.

Please note: what I mean by these "1 week collapses" and I need to repeat that, it's not a typical "bad trumpet day". When I experience a 'bad day' I can deal with that through some longer warm-up.

When these 'collapsed weeks' come there is nothing I can do about it. It happens once a couple months. When that happens I almost cannot play as my lips feel completely like cotton wool. They don't vibrate. There is no power in them. No, they don't swell. My lips never swell. I don't even know what to do to make lips swell.

Please ignore that 'center-focused' embouchure notion. I just wanted to emphasize that I don't use smiley embouchure and as such I don't rely on MP pressure.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaxoTrump wrote:
When these 'collapsed weeks' come there is nothing I can do about it. It happens once a couple months. When that happens I almost cannot play as my lips feel completely like cotton wool. They don't vibrate. There is no power in them. No, they don't swell. My lips never swell. I don't even know what to do to make lips swell.

What I always suggest is to post video of yourself playing - say a two octave scale from low C to high C. Maybe some lip flexibility stuff, loud, soft. A good close look at your mouth and face while playing would be most useful.

Obviously something is wrong. The mechanics of how you're playing or some physiological/medical issue.

Quote:
Please ignore that 'center-focused' embouchure notion. I just wanted to emphasize that I don't use smiley embouchure and as such I don't rely on MP pressure.

Strictly speaking, everyone depends on mp pressure to some extent. If you're playing, you've got pressure on your lips. The mouthpiece exerts pressure on the lips and traps a small amount of tissue inside and there's some distortion of the tissue which creates the reed. There's flexion of tissue under and against the rim. Imo saying "you only need enough pressure to create a seal" is inaccurate and misleading yet it's one of those things that gets perpetuated because a famous player said it.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar issues in my early months of playing. I was playing too much too soon and wearing my chops down. And even years later, when I would play too long without taking breaks, I would whack my chops out of alignment. So, I suggest that you get plenty of quality sleep t night and cut back on your playing. Maybe take a day or two off every so often. I have found that when I don't drive myself so hard and takes frequently during my practice sessions, I haven't had any problems with straining my chops.

I actually strained my entire face back when I first started.

Take a few days of playing and then set a less strenuous practice schedule.

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I have a suspicion that it's something like that but I can tell you why I'm not confident that the reason is in overplaying.
Before the 'lips collapsed week', the last day of my 'normal playing' I may play a little longer or a little more higher or do some things I don't typically do. For instance, I can do some new exercises I don't typically play.

However as far as I always remember I don't do anything drastically different or something particularly strenuous or play substantially longer. That is there is nothing to remember as: "Oh, I know what I've surely done to wear my chops down! That's the reason".

I can't say that I "play too long without taking breaks". I never play without breaks. I always use this formula in my everyday sessions:
- Warm-up for 15 minutes (long tones, slurs, some finger exc's)
- 10 minutes break
- 15 min play segment
- 10 min break
- etc.

HornnOOb wrote:
... And even years later, when I would play too long without taking breaks, I would whack my chops out of alignment. ...
Take a few days of playing and then set a less strenuous practice schedule.
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I get a feeling that these "collapses" are somehow associated with my mental state.
I get caught up in certain things from time to time (not necessarily music) and when that happens I mentally wear out myself while being in that state of fixation. When I get out of that cycle I feel relief but at the same time it brings with itself a sensation of emptiness.
Maybe while it doesn't effect my overall physical condition it may somehow affect trumpet playing capabilities?
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaxoTrump wrote:

Maybe while it doesn't effect my overall physical condition it may somehow affect trumpet playing capabilities?

I'm not a psychological health professional but what you're describing sounds like a physical issue.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaxoTrump wrote:
Sometimes I get a feeling that these "collapses" are somehow associated with my mental state.
I get caught up in certain things from time to time (not necessarily music) and when that happens I mentally wear out myself while being in that state of fixation. When I get out of that cycle I feel relief but at the same time it brings with itself a sensation of emptiness.

I agree with the the other posters - seems to be physical. However whatever physical problem (such as a simple cold) might yield some psychic bi - products such as feeling a bit low, you name it.
The scheme you present might, I accentuate might, generate a state of mind where you, on a subconscious level expect this state to recur.
If so, this might affect you, again on the subliminal level. Vicious circle!
The assumption "this is my destiny" might establish itself.
Not at all a psychic disturbance - rather common amongst us humans.
The only person being able to judge if this is really so - is you.. If so best combatted by 1)acknowledging it could be so 2)watch out for "early" signs 3)realizing this is not your destiny! - only a result of the dealings of your subconscious mind which has to be re - programmed/updated!
But I sincerely doubt that this is psychic.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thoughts, Seymor - thanks.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaxoTrump wrote:
Sometimes I have a suspicion that it's something like that but I can tell you why I'm not confident that the reason is in overplaying.
Before the 'lips collapsed week', the last day of my 'normal playing' I may play a little longer or a little more higher or do some things I don't typically do. For instance, I can do some new exercises I don't typically play.

What you are describing, playing more, new things, higher or longer is overplaying: for you. There is a change (more playing) and a result (not able to play to expectation for a week or so).

One aspect to explore is recovery at the end of your practice. Or, the warm down. Get things back into an optimal position, ready for the next day...

cheers

Andy
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I'm now in a "post-collapse" state I can recall and see that it's not only the lips collapse itself that bothers me.
I now can reconstruct the usual scenario of this unfortunate period and it actually goes like this:

- Some 1-2-3 months of "happy trumpet playing";
- Sudden "lips collapse" - unable to to vibrate and control lips for a week - "cotton wool" lips;
- Gradual "recovery" over next month or so. In this "post collapse" period I can achieve approximately from 50% to 80% of my normal playing capacity but it's somewhat unstable hence this percentage range;

Please note that while I identified this post-collapse 1 month as a "recovery" period I don't know what this recovery is from. That is I never can say that I did anything obviously destructive to my physical condition. I don't experience any physical overloads, I don't drink alcohol and so on.

Once again, the only thing I can think of is that I somethimes experience some mental obsessions that can last for a month and in the end when I'm through I experience some mental deterioration in the form of depression and devastation. I perhaps exaggerate my condition. It's nothig that needs medical attention. It's just that I feel down.
Again, it doesn't affect my overall physical condition: I gave you an example with push-ups I do every morning and it goes without change for the said period.
Maybe it can affect my trumpet playing abilities. I can't find any other explanation.
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one more question so please someone address it.

Here locally there is a term that can be translated into English as "having overplayed one's lips". I only once heard it in person from a professional player who serviced my trumpet.
From his warning "never overplay your lips" I remember that he was talking of some severe but not fatal condition that can make one unable to play well for some time. I haven't asked him then how bad it could be.

Since trumpet playing is a universal thing I suppose "to overplay one's lips" must be a familiar term (even if not exactly in this wording) to any trumpet player regardless of their nationality.

So my question is: how bad can be "overplaying one's lips" ?
Can it disable a trumpet player for a month, for instance?
I don't mean complete inability to play but reducing the playing abilities to a significantly lower level?

One important thing: I assume no damage in the form od torn lips or anything like that. No, visually normal lips, no swelling, no tears and lips feeling as they should unless it comes to trumpet playing where they display no efficiency and strength.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: