• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What brass instrument did you start on?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: What brass instrument did you start on? Reply with quote

There are many posts discussing the size and specifications of trumpet and cornet mouthpieces'. I wonder if it relates to the instrument that we started learning on. I started playing tenor/alto horn at the age of 7, the mouthpiece on the horn was wider in diameter than the cornet or trumpet and had a deeper cup. The mouthpiece shank although shorter than the trumpet shank is the same width. I have always done best on the bigger trumpet and cornet mouthpieces although I use smaller mouthpieces on the eb/d and piccolo trumpets.

How has your first mouthpiece effected your current mouthpiece choice?
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it had much if anything to do with my current mouthpiece choice (Wedge 1.25 C), but for what it's worth, I started on tuba at 10, changed to baritone at 11, then trumpet at 12, and stuck with it.
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve A wrote:
I don't think it had much if anything to do with my current mouthpiece choice (Wedge 1.25 C), but for what it's worth, I started on tuba at 10, changed to baritone at 11, then trumpet at 12, and stuck with it.

+1
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started on a cornet my father bought at a garage sale. To answer your question, I don't know what mouthpiece I started on (it was the mouthpiece that just came with the cornet) and it hasn't affected my choice of mouthpiece today in any way.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None.

I have no idea what I started on. After playing for four years on that mouthpiece, when I was in tenth grade, my new trumpet teacher suggested a Schilke H (#11 now) and the only reason I know what that was is because I still have it. So I went from that through high school and part of college then switched to a Purviance 4*D4.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olds Ultratone valve/rotor soprano bugle and an Olds 3 trumpet mouthpiece.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started on a Yamaha 2310 cornet. I used a Bach 7C.

The open blowing nature of the Yamaha cornet may play a part in why I like open free-blowing horns.

I don't the the use of the 7C really affected my taste in mouthpieces (which range from a bored out Bach 1C to a variety of 3C-ish to 5C sizes.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
burnhamd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Getzen Reply with quote

Getzen Capri with a 7C.
MF Holton LT-306
MF Holton ST-307
Cheap Flugel
www.danburnham.com
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started on a King 600 in 2nd or 3rd grade back in the 80s. Started on a 7c then moved to a 5b a few years later then a 3b and then a 1.5b. In High School they wanbted us to have a cornet as well so I got a Bach Cornet, but did not keep it too long and went back to my King trumpet till I started playing for the Phil Harmonic and they provided a C bach c trumpet for me to play. After I joined the army I traded my King for a Silver Flair as I kept playing till I went into special forces and I was gone all the time.

Here it is 20 years later and I have started playing again and with a Silver Flair again and a 1.5b and a 3b megatone.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

French Horn, but I switched to Euphonium and from that to Trumpet.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: What brass instrument did you start on? Reply with quote

trumpet56 wrote:
There are many posts discussing the size and specifications of trumpet and cornet mouthpieces'. I wonder if it relates to the instrument that we started learning on. I started playing tenor/alto horn at the age of 7, the mouthpiece on the horn was wider in diameter than the cornet or trumpet and had a deeper cup. The mouthpiece shank although shorter than the trumpet shank is the same width. I have always done best on the bigger trumpet and cornet mouthpieces although I use smaller mouthpieces on the eb/d and piccolo trumpets.

How has your first mouthpiece effected your current mouthpiece choice?

Like you I started on a alto horn, brassband style. Mouthpiece probably some Boosey&Hawkes contraption. Then switched to a Czechian cornet, probably the mouthpiece that belonged to this horn. Later on Salvation Army nr 1 which I eventually found too small in diameter, besides that rather wide flat rim. What a liberation when I found the Bach 1 1/4.....
If I had been clever enough to take lessons at the time I probably would have been using this Bach up to this date.... but but....
However today very satisfied with the Wick Ultra, utterly different from every other piece I´ve tested.....made possible by the BE.
So in my case no effect. Also initially no influence from "no teacher"..
That had to wait another 50 years.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can’t believe that no one started on an Olds Ambassador. I started on an Ambassador with a Bach 7C. Then got braces a few months after then after 3 years got braces off , couldnt play and switched to tenor sax for the remainder of my school years.
ButchA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started on my '67 Holton Collegiate in grade school, then got shifted to french horn, back to trumpet, to baritone, doubled on trombone, and finally back to trumpet.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started on a Conn Director cornet w/Conn 4 mouthpiece. Over the 40 years I taught instrumental music I played all the brass instruments with students in lessons, as well as all of the woodwinds with the exception of bassoon (didn't have an extra) and the percussion instruments as well. No negative affects, not even on sax...
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started on a King Cleveland cornet back in the mid 1960s. If I remember correctly, it came with a King MC mouthpiece, which was pretty small and shallow. I play on a 3-size mouthpiece today.
trumphat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

American Standard cornet made by H N White (King) and a Mt. Vernon Bach 7BW cornet mpc back in 1959. Played a lot of horns and mouthpieces over the last 60 years. My main mpc on trumpet is a NY Bach 7BW. Change is not always better!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reread your post and even though you end by asking about a first mouthpiece (mpc) specifically, you also ask in your text about relationship between mpc/horn.

So riffing on that theme, I went from my first cornet, an Austrian horn hand-me-down, make unknown, to another cornet, also didn't pay attention to the brand, but the point is, I changed horns but used the same mpc.

Likewise, when I changed trumpets in college, I switched from a Connstellation to a Getzen Severinsen but kept the same mpc (Schilke H). Then, while still on the Severinsen, I went from the Schilke H to a Purviance 4*D4.

Hope this adds to your answer.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dad bought my first Trumpet from a Pawn Shop back in the late 50s just in case Trumpet was just a fad for me. It was a mostly raw brass Olds Mendez with a Mt. Vernon 7C. What a horn to start on!!! I played Euphonium in Junior High and High School and Solo Soprano in Drum and Bugle Corps on Getzen and Olds G Bugles during the same period with a Jetone Severinsen, then a J Parduba Double Cup Harry James Model. I switched back to Trumpet as my main instrument during my Freshman year in college and bought my first new horn, a 1971 very early LA Benge and made a lifelong switch to Bob Reeves 41S695 (then 1S695)mouthpieces. I still play that old Benge often and never venture away from Reeves 41 Rims, though I use many different Reeves bottoms depending on horn and musical requirements. Wish I still had that Olds Mendez. Hurricane Betsy took it away three days before my 14th Birthday in 1965. I want another one before I transition to my final Trumpet gig!
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started on trombone and played trombone, euphonium, and tuba in college.

I also started trying to double on trumpet in college and gravitated to the largest mouthpieces I could get my hands on -- a Bach 1 followed by a Schilke 24. I spent the next 15 years gradually downsizing, ending up on 3C-ish diameters (a Reeves 43W rim, usually). I've tried going smaller, but always ended up back on the Reeves.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpet in 7th grade.

Some medium-largish generic mouthpiece that a salesman in Sam Ash recommended for a beginner. When I started taking lessons a month or so later, my teacher said the mouthpiece was fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: