• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

York Cornet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bulgakov

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: York Cornet? Reply with quote

I think I had this in the wrong forum, so have reposted here.

I came across this on our local version of Ebay/Craigslist in NZ. The seller does not know much (it was listed as a trumpet), but he says it has York written on it, and it looks like it has a serial # 119146.

Any ideas? From what I have seen from other threads and Horn-U-Copia, York made some nice horns. Does anyone who knows about these things reckon their is something worthwhile here, or is it more likely junk? I thought I would ask on the off chance this is something worth having a closer look at.

I'm a relative beginner playing cornet (not my own) in a local brass band (in addition to trumpet in a community orchestra), so I am in the market. Not a whole lot of viable options come available here, so I don't mind putting a little money into it if the original horn was good to begin with.

See the link:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1497260356
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In their early years York made some fine instruments. The ones I've seen from their later years were pretty bad. I'm not sure what era this is from, but it looks like it's from the later years.
Bulgakov

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike ansberry wrote:
In their early years York made some fine instruments. The ones I've seen from their later years were pretty bad. I'm not sure what era this is from, but it looks like it's from the later years.

Thanks for that. According to the seller, there is the number 119146 just near where the mouthpiece inserts into the pipe. If that is the serial number, it seems to place it as 1938. However, in skimming through the Horn-U-Copia site, it seems it may not be that straight-forward.

http://www.horn-u-copia.net/serial/Yorklist.html

So, how old is "early" years as far as when they were producing good horns?
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The York brand IP ended up belonging to Keilwerth. Keilwerth made the parts for the Boosey and Hawks range of cornets. When Boosey and Hawkes went bust they started assembling the Boosey and Hawkes models themselves and put the York name on them. This cornet you have seen is not one of those but it might be a Keilwerth by the shape of the finger buttons. Does it say Germany or Foreign anywhere on it?
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm ...

Hard to say.

I have an exceedingly rare York AirFlow Cornet, in silver ... s/n 120854 ... which I acquired from the late Lou van Koevering ("OLDLOU", here on this site). According to Lou, date of manufacture was pre-war (WWII) ... likely 1938 or 1939.

It is a superlative instrument ... with a definitive, almost "angelic" tone.

The AirFlow horns look nothing like any other ... so, I cannot compare to the horn you are considering there in NZ.

I miss Genghis Khan ....
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW -- "OLDLOU" was employed at the York works in Grand Rapids, and was an authority of all-things "York".

I miss Genghis Khan ....
Bulgakov

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
The York brand IP ended up belonging to Keilwerth. Keilwerth made the parts for the Boosey and Hawks range of cornets. When Boosey and Hawkes went bust they started assembling the Boosey and Hawkes models themselves and put the York name on them. This cornet you have seen is not one of those but it might be a Keilwerth by the shape of the finger buttons. Does it say Germany or Foreign anywhere on it?

Not as far as the seller can tell. But I thought (based on a comment you made on another thread

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1505428

and some online research) that Keilwerth did not start making them until relatively recently? This horn looks reasonably old.

https://marge.home.xs4all.nl/Keilwerth.htm
Bulgakov

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Rowe wrote:

The AirFlow horns look nothing like any other ... so, I cannot compare to the horn you are considering there in NZ.

Wow, I Googled one to see what you were referring to. That's quite an interesting horn.
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulgakov wrote:
Robert Rowe wrote:

Wow, I Googled one to see what you were referring to. That's quite an interesting horn.

Yes ... Google provides a link to an old TH forum, where I posted comments regarding OLDLOU and my York AirFlow.

I was prompted to pluck the AirFlow out of my hoard / stash today, and play it. I tried a couple of my "newest, bestest" vintage mouthpieces with it ... (although; the original York mouthpiece that was in the original case does an admirable job).

OMG !! I'm falling in-love all over again !!

~ r2 ~

I miss Genghis Khan ....
Bulgakov

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to look around and see if there are any pictures of a similar horn, but most of the York Cornets I see are 1900s era. I think I found a picture of a later horn, but the wrap is different. This horn does not look like any of them. However, I came across this reference:

https://sites.google.com/site/oddcornets/tunable-bell/amati

indicating that Amati and Musica produced student model horns for York. So I wonder if this is one of those?
Flugelnut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 5 years ago I briefly owned a Boosey & Hawkes "York" flugelhorn which turned out to be built by Kühnl & Hoyer of Germany. I gave them the serial number and asked them to date the flugel for me, which they did.
I think the horn was from the 1970's but don't recall exactly.
It may be worth a message to K&H.
The flugel was no jewel by the way.
Flugelnut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: I did find that my York flugel had serial 110197 and was built in 1983.
Hope this helps.
Bulgakov

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flugelnut wrote:
About 5 years ago I briefly owned a Boosey & Hawkes "York" flugelhorn which turned out to be built by Kühnl & Hoyer of Germany. I gave them the serial number and asked them to date the flugel for me, which they did.
I think the horn was from the 1970's but don't recall exactly.
It may be worth a message to K&H.
The flugel was no jewel by the way.

Hmm, interesting.

Did your horn say Boosey & Hawkes anywhere on it? According to the seller, the only thing written on this horn is "York" and the serial #.

I'm thinking I will give this a miss, then. A vintage York sounds like a steal. A vintage Boosey and Hawkes or other student model...not so much.
Flugelnut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flugel had "B&H York" etched (not stamped) on the side of the bell.
A genuine US-made vintage York would probably have stampings saying"ÜSA" and "Grand Rapids" somewhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: