• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Alliance RM Mouthpiece

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corny Cornet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Alliance RM Mouthpiece Reply with quote

Hi

I am considering trying an Alliance RM1. My current mouthpiece is a deep JK model with a 16.75mm width. Its a bit like a DW3 but with a wider throat. I need a slightly larger one and Wilst the dark tone of the JK is great it is perhaps a little to flugely. I don't like wide rims. I am looking for a modern BBB sound.

Has anyone got personal experience of the RM1?

I know mouthpieces are a very individual thing. I just want to find out as much as I can before investing time and money in trying a new one.

Any information or opinions would be welcome.
derekthor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one. I consider myself a strong trumpet player, but I wouldn't use it to play first cornet in a brass band. Tried it once in a rehearsal where I was unexpectedly asked to fill in for a missing first player (moving up from third). The RM1 was the only cornet mouthpiece I had at the time and I was wiped after about 30 minutes of rehearsal. Now when I sit in the front row, I use either a NY Bach 3 or Diorio 3B. If they have me back on third after the holiday break, I'll probably use either the RM1 or a Curry BBC.

If you don't like the flugel-y sound from a cornet, it might not be for you. Since I sold my flugel in the spring, I've been using a Getzen 3850 with the RM1 to cover any flugel parts I need to play.

I've never tried the Wick 3 or any JK cornet model, so I can't comment on how it compares to those.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I measured the RM1 it had an internal diameter of 17.26mm which is comparable with a Bach 1 trumpet mouthpiece. The RM3 measures at 16.64mm - similar to a Bach 3 but with less bite. THe RM3 is a deep mouthpiece but more controllable than the Wick ones. They make an RM3A which is still V shaped but not as deep.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
trumpet_cop
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't really have a comparison chart or anything on their website. Gordon, do you happen to know what would the Alliance equivalent of a wick 2B be? Sorry to put you on the spot!
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere between an Alliance 2B and 3B. Closer to the 2b but it has a thinner rounder rim and feels bigger.

Corny Cornet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alliance's sizes translate easily to the DW equivalent by adding 1 to the number. The Alliance 1, Prestige 1 and RM1 are listed as 17mm the same as a DW2, Alliance 2 and DW3 are both 16.75mm, Alliance 3 and DW4 both 16.5mm. Measurements are only a guide as it depends exactly where the measure.

Alliance add an A for the less deep cup whereas DW add a B.

Alliance 1A, Prestige 1A and RM1A should be about the same as a DW2B.

As for me I'm still procrastinating which bucket do I try, Yam16e is nicer than DW2 in my opinion but neither have the sound quality of a JK. Do I go for a bigger JK or try an Alliance one? My JK is an old O&H model so I don't if the new ones are the same, the model numbers appear to have changed. I know it was list as 16.75mm and has a wider throat than a DW.

Alliance give a throat diameter of 4.5mm or 4.6mm does anyone know the throat diameter of a DW?
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denis Wick throat sizes for cornet:

Models without letters - 4.6mm #15
except: 2 which is #14
B models - 4.3mm #18
S model - 4.1mm #20

RW2 was #13 so bigger than anything they currently make.

The Alliance 1 rim is huge. I measured it as 17.26mm so it’s on par with a Bach 1. I measured a Wick 2 using the same technique as 16.98mm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: