• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wild Thing Players

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flip Oakes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapier232 wrote:
CJceltics33 wrote:
If the above suggestions dont work for the 2nd valve, do this:

Thoroughly clean your horn and valves

Switch to a different oil( I recommend La Tromba)

Wipe your valves with a rag before each time you oil

I had the same issue, and after I did the above, my valves work fine.

Tried that first.

Ive lost faith in it now, so have just bought a nearly new Smith-Watkins for $3150 dollars, a saving of $1400 on a new one. Will be selling the WT.

I have been following this thread and have been waiting for Rapier232 to contact me, however he hasn't. It's hard for me to believe that if a customer has a problem of any kind, why not contact the manufacture and ask questions?

First of all brass instruments do not intermit, they are mechanical and not electronic. If your having this problem it's either because at some time the horn was set down perhaps on a table with the 2nd. valve slide down. If so this can create a pressure buckle, and crimp the piston. It's an easy fix as already been mentioned in this thread. However if you go too far it will also crimp the piston goin the other direction. Always set a horn down on the bell side if you need to set it down on a table, of course a trumpet stand is always the best.

Second: Dirt will hamper the valve action, just wiping the pistons off is only part of the cleaning. As you play the horn dirt particles, slide grease, and grit that is in the horn washes through the horn and gets caught it the tubes between the valve casings, and need to be cleaned out. Just cleaning a leadpipe doesn't do it. Slide grease as you play breaks down from the valve oil, and gets attached to the valve casings, and need to be removed. A valve casing brush will not do the job.

Cleaning the horn:
Use HOT soapy water for silver-plate, and, warm
water, for lacquered, instruments. Disassemble
and Submerse the trumpet in this solution, let it
soak for a brief period of time then, clean out the
tubes with the trumpet cleaning snake, and valve
casing rod. The Valve Cleaning Rod. This rod looks like a
short gun cleaning rod that is supplied with
every Wild Thing instrument sold, use this by
wrapping a piece of cotton, or flannel through and
around this rod for swabbing out the valve
casings. you need to do a few wrappings so that the
rod has to be tight when passing through the valve
casings. This method is far more effective, rather then
a valve cleaning brush. This cloth will collect slide
grease residue, and grit that gets passed through the
trumpet as the valve oil breaks down the valve grease,
and dirt that will collect in the horn and slides in the
form of dust or dirt
I recommend that you give this
instrument a good cleaning once every 2-3 weeks.
This is very important and will help in the playing
consistency, and ensuring a longer lifetime of the
instrument. After the cleaning, rinse the entire
instrument, and all parts thoroughly, and wipe off dry
with a soft cloth, and then re-assemble. Be certain to
use slide grease on all of the slides, and valve oil on
the pistons. Do not let the horn get too dirty on
the inside, as this could be detrimental to the
playability and lifetime of this instrument. For
Silver plate, use 3-M Tarni Shield Silver Polish when
needed, to aid in the protection of the silver plating.
For lacquer, I like to spray some Pledge on the cloth
and wipe on the instrument. Keeping your horn clean will help ensure a longer lifetime for this instrument. on the inside of the valve casings.

Remember, if you want the horn to play and
sound consistently, you need to keep the
trumpet clean.

Concerning the valve alignment be certain that it is maintained and not changed, or altered. Underneath the top caps, that are numbered, there are markings showing the size of the spacers or washers that are needed to be used to keep the valve alignment in tact. The valve alignment pads are Buna N Rubber 40 shore. There may also some other spacers, or thin washers as well, these are all used or needed for proper valve alignment. Youll also notice that your finger button caps, are also numbered as well for the correlating piston, its important to keep them in their proper place as well, as they are all a intricate part of the valve alignment. The Buna N rubber pads are .062 in thickness. The Buna N Rubber pads, are the most accurate, however may be replaced with .062 Felts.. Sometimes additional spacers are needed in addition to the .062 main Buna N Rubber or Felts. For maintaining the proper alignment. Remember the correct thickness in total is marked on the underside of each individual top valve cap as to the upstroke. The down stroke will always be alright as long as you dont change the rubber bumpers in the top caps themselves, and remember, these caps are all individually numbered underneath each cap. If the valve alignment is altered, it could cause inferior intonation, and piston noise.

Never let anyone push anything down or into your
mouthpiece receiver, or into your leadpipe, and also
be certain not to strike the end of the
leadpipe with a worn mouthpiece or foreign object, as this can alter the blow, and sound of the instrument. Any mouthpiece of your choice will work just fine, as long as the shank hasnt been worn so badly, to where its bumping up against the end of the lead pipe.
760-643-1501

Delivering the distinctive Wild Thing Sound since 1994
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent post from the guy who owns the company.

And not to cast aspersions on anyone, but no company can address issues with one of their products if they are not aware of them.

Brad
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Excellent post from the guy who owns the company.

And not to cast aspersions on anyone, but no company can address issues with one of their products if they are not aware of them.

Brad

Funny story; back in the late 90s I ended up for a BRIEF period of time, with a Callet Jazz trumpet I got when I sold and traded an old Schilke trumpet.

The Jazz had some issues with the third valve, but I was playing it for a month or so and REALLY was starting to like the horn. I had to go to NYC for business and contacted Jerome Callet and asked to go to his shop in Staten Island and see if hed fix the issue.

I got there, met and chatted with Jerry. Very nice man. So many incredible stories about so many great players. And he and his wife were very hospitable. He played a bit for me (and he is to this day one of the loudest most powerful trumpet players i ever have heard) and then he asked me to play for him. All was going very nicely. Then I told him about the valve issue.

He played the horn, said he knew what the issue was and how to fix it and then he made some adjustments to the third valve slide and the problem was fixed. Then he told me the blow was off on the horn and he needed to make an adjustment to correct and improve the horn.

Before I could ask, he rammed a truing tool of some sort into the receiver and leadpipe and started twisting. I looked on in awe. Hed play a few notes, then make adjustments and repeat this several times.

When I got the horn back and played it I HATED it. I dont know what he did but the pitch center was gone and the slots in the upper register had disappeared. Everything I liked about the horn was gone.

Luckily I had a friend who liked it and I quickly sold it to him. That was the last Callet I owned. But man, he took a very good horn and mashed it into something just unplayable for me. Very frustrating day!
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.trader wrote:
Very frustrating day!

Reminded me of: http://www.pocketwatchrepair.com/histories/twain2.html

Gary.
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flip, thank you for the response. I have not contacted you as I live in the UK, so time differences, etc. Make it difficult. Also I cannot send the instrument to you to check over. The horn is either in my hand, on a stand or in a Torpedo Laredo Bag. I clean it exactly as you describe but it doesnt rectify the problem. Wild Things are pretty rare in the UK, Ive only seen 3. Anyway, the fault is very erratic and is just a slower return on the last third of the up stroke and only if held down for a a longer note. Changing oils, frequent oiling or less frequent makes no difference.

I purchased it a couple of years ago in a private sale and use it daily. Anyway, as Ive lost trust in it, its time to try something new. I cant risk it playing up when Im playing in a Pit band.

Still great instruments.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great callet story, thanks. absolutely choice. jerry had fixed the horn, but only for himself and the way he blew.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: