• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

High Range Technique?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atneks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: High Range Technique? Reply with quote

Hi!
I stopped playing trumpet a while back, and I'm trying to get back into it with my son.
The first thing I realized was my range; I could barely hit a high G. Do you guys have any exercises that may bring back the range? Should I just start with the fundamentals again?
Thank you for your help!
Clot Gorton

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fundamentals ... Claude Gordon's Systematic Approach and the (6) associated method books that go with it are excellent for Technique, Range, Tone etc.
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The basic exercise for developing the upper register is using the major chords or arpeggios going up.

" In my opinion, any exercise in the Arban Book can be transposed up half steps and made into an upper register study."

Bill Vacchiano
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are experiencing what is typical of every comeback. As previously stated, make sure you have a routine that focuses on each of the fundamentals. I think that initially, playing Clarke 1 and lip slurs everyday did the most to improve my usable range. Lowell Little's Embouchure Builder and Irons 27 Groups of Exercises are two good books for lip slurs.
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You’ll get tons of advice from posters here. That said, take it all with a grain of salt.

There’s no formula that works for everybody. There is no pedagogy or book or series of exercises that will get you to a desired place. No “get a good teacher” answer, no formula of long tones, fundamentals, arpeggios, pedal tones or anything else.

You just need to play a lot. A combination of everything, but mostly play music. If you only practice exercises you’ll only get better at playing exercises.

I’d get your hands on etudes, song books, lead sheets, big band charts, anything and everything and practice playing music.

As you play more, your body and chops will naturally acclimate to what is necessary to make it happen. Play often and read as much and sightread as much as you can get your hands on coupled with normal exercises and warm ups.

Don’t get stuck in a rut of just practicing exercises expecting to magically transform into your playing. Practice making and playing music. That’s the goal right?

Everything will fall into place soon enough.
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no exercise or book. It is 100% YOU.
I know people who OWN every book written.
They still have almost zero range.

You have to try to play higher every day.
Playing any exercise but NOT going higher all the time won't get you very far.

You are the magic and playing more high notes every week is the key.
7,000 pages of free music. Trumpet Books, Skype Lessons: www.BbTrumpet.com
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

solo soprano wrote:

" In my opinion, any exercise in the Arban Book can be transposed up half steps and made into an upper register study."
Bill Vacchiano

I got tired of telling people who refuse to transpose to do this because they never did it.
I told thousands and thousands and I bet Maynard Ferguson told hundreds of thousands but close to nobody ever did it.

So I rewrote the darn Arban book and I transposed it for people and guess what. They still don't do it.
They don't want the real answer of practice.

But we have to keep trying.
Have a Happy New Year.
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pops, I was just talking about your books in the 'Fundamentals' forum. Have a Happy New Year bro! Best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy New Year Man. Take Care.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pops wrote:
solo soprano wrote:

Bill Vacchiano

I got tired of telling people who refuse to transpose to do this because they never did it.
I told thousands and thousands and I bet Maynard Ferguson told hundreds of thousands but close to nobody ever did it.

So I rewrote the darn Arban book and I transposed it for people and guess what. They still don't do it.
They don't want the real answer of practice.

But we have to keep trying.
Have a Happy New Year.

Isn't this the truth!! There is no magic. It's all about the player.

In this day and age students don't want to accept the fact that excellence is a product of hard work. All the students want to hear these days is how "great" they are. They think they know everything. When you suggest something and even demonstrate it you get resistance. Here's a clip in which Branford Marsalis explains it all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rz2jRHA9fo
Rene Janisse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: High register on trumpet Reply with quote

Back in the day when I was studying at college, I had a book by J.D.Zorn called Exploring the Upper Register, and was endorsed by Doc. You could see if you could find a copy.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: High Range Technique? Reply with quote

atneks wrote:
Hi!
I stopped playing trumpet a while back, and I'm trying to get back into it with my son.
The first thing I realized was my range; I could barely hit a high G. Do you guys have any exercises that may bring back the range? Should I just start with the fundamentals again?
Thank you for your help!

How's your sound otherwise? Would an objective listener say you have a full, solid sound up to that G?

Exercises can help hone your sound but the key is finding the way to do it, understanding what's going on. What exercise books are generally predicated on is that you'll intuitively fall into making the right physical adjustments just by repetition. This apparently works for some people. For myself to make range gains I had to really analyze what was happening, a process that's ongoing.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High range technique and fundamentals are the same thing. Working on upper register will expose the flaws in your fundamentals.

If you don't have the strength to play a certain note, trying to can mess up your fundamentals as you struggle with anything that seems to help. Playing just below that point, where everything works well and sounds good, is a great way to develop! Just don't overdo it, rest frequently and mix it up with middle and lower registers to keep tension at bay. Practicing tight just convinces you to play tight all the time.

A teacher can help guide you through these variables, sparing you untold agony.
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: High Range Technique? Reply with quote

[quote="Robert P"]
atneks wrote:

Exercises can help hone your sound but the key is finding the way to do it, understanding what's going on. What exercise books are generally predicated on is that you'll intuitively fall into making the right physical adjustments just by repetition. This apparently works for some people. For myself to make range gains I had to really analyze what was happening, a process that's ongoing.

Exactly!!!!

Simply paying a series of exercises hoping it will magically develop range absolutely did not work for me. I was fortunate enough to discover Pops very early in my comeback. His focus has always been on what we are trying to feel while doing all the drills and exercises he prescribes.

The upper range, in fact all of trumpet technique really, is about muscle memory. It does take a certain amount of air and chop development, but probably not as much as many of us seem to think. We have to develop the feel for the upper range (muscle memory) to the point we do the right things without thinking about it. That means a LOT of practice in the upper range.

BUT--and this is a big but................

We must NEVER strain to play in the upper range. Straining creates the wrong muscle memory. Mark Zauss points out that if we strain too much, our body will start reacting as if we were straining even when we aren't.

The mindset should be like Bob Odneal so eloquently captures in his range method, "Casual Double High C." Roger Ingram says back off and trust your projection. Wayne Bergeron says we are to discover our upper range. The upper range is all about finesse and balance, not force.

For me personally, it was when I figured out how Tongue Arch felt and started doing a minimum of 400 notes per day High C and above--both concepts I learned from Pops--that my upper range unlocked. My comeback development was slow because of time and focus on my part, but 12.5 years after I started--after 20 years of not playing--I performed my first Double High C in a concert (at the end of Count Bubba.) BTW, I need to work every day to keep my range. It's a very perishable skill.

The obvious issue is how do we play high a lot but never strain? We have to go slowly, carefully, thoughtfully, and REST A LOT when doing range drills. What is high and will cause straining is different for each player, and even for the same player it will be different one day vs another.

There seem to be several natural range points on trumpet--roughly. By this I mean playable range, not just an occasional high note at the end of a chart.

Top of Staff G: Almost anyone trying to play trumpet can play to that note. This was the top of my range when I quit trumpet in 1978 as a college freshmen.

High C/D: With a little work and understanding some basic concepts, most players can get here. 90%+ of trumpet music can be played with this level of range.

High G/A: Takes some serious focus and very consistent practice, but like Reinhardt said, most anyone can get here. With this level of range you can plan an occasional DHC at the end of a tune. 99% of trumpet music is covered with this level of range.

DHC/DHD: Requires a LOT of effort, focus and a lot of time on the horn. Do you have the time? Do you want to take the time?

As we obtain pass each of these rough range levels, things get easier. It doesn't seem to take as much time to maintain a level as it does to achieve it.
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pops wrote:
There is no exercise or book. It is 100% YOU.
I know people who OWN every book written.
They still have almost zero range.

You have to try to play higher every day.
Playing any exercise but NOT going higher all the time won't get you very far.

You are the magic and playing more high notes every week is the key.
Worked great for me in HS back in the late 1960s- we were kept on a short leash in the band, which was nationally recognized, but for pep band and sometimes in marching when we were accurate enough that no one noticed the clams, I and another kid would take almost any and everything up an octave. REally developed some amazing chops and could really go long. Did similar things when playing in rock bands. I did delve into Gordon later, as well as Pop's Tension-less eBook. Bottom line is one must play up where one aspires to play, step by step, and every day. The real problems occur when one believes there is some magic bullet, or out of the blue takes on some project that is beyond almost everything they've been playing for decades. (BT,DT)
jimseifert7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with Pops...practice makes perfect, and in this case, a wider range! Best of luck
deleted_user_fdb91a0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing in the upper register is 98% technique, and 2% exercises. An infant has enough innate facial strength to close his/her mouth tight enough such that no air can get out. Considering that SOME air needs to flow through the chops to play the horn, we can surmise that raw strength is not the answer.

If the upper register isn't happening for you, your practice sessions are not the culprit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: