• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Nervous in Performance

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atneks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Nervous in Performance Reply with quote

When I used to play in the orchestra, I remember I would be nervous when I have a solo.
It seems my son has the same problem.
How did you guys get over anxiety in a performance setting?
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consistently applying the 7 Ps is a great place to start... And when one is consistently doing things properly, one will start to assume things will go well before playing. Good luck.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, what Craig said. Practice so you can play without thinking about not making a mistake. Practice to total certainty. Be "in the moment", which is to say, not thinking about past failures. It may take a lot of practice. You can also practice playing for other people, something often neglected.

If you are certain of what you are doing, it will shine through in performance.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone who cares gets nervous, otherwise where's the fun in performing? The question is how we manage it.

Being well prepared tends to solve a lot of problems. It makes us more confident and gives us something to fall back on if things become hairy.

Keep in mind that performing is a skill unto itself that requires it's own practice. It can take time to learn how to properly focus nervous energy into excitement.

Many great performers struggle with the psychology of performing. There's a lot going on in terms of our sense of self worth and identity. The more you can view it as a skill to be developed rather than something innate, the easier it is to progress. If you miss a lick in the practice room, you practice it until you can reliably play it. Most of us will do this without self judgement. If we lose te fight with nerves, many will see that as something shameful and deeply identify with failure rather than recognize the need to practice until we can reliably handle it.

For a kid, I'd keep it light and positive. Stay encouraging and give him opportunities to practice this skill in safe environments (without patronizing him). Encourage him to play for the family, at nursing homes, church, etc.

I've been struggling to figure out the seventh P. Proper preparation prevents...?
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://mirandageorgearticles.wordpress.com/2017/12/20/midwest-clinic-presentation/

There are about 5 minutes of dead air before the lecture on this soundcloud recording begins.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting nervous while performing in public whilst playing trumpet is just like getting nervous doing anything else with an audience.

Public speaking, shooting a free throw in a basketball game, making your first sale, asking out a pretty girl, or any other situation requiring confidence with the possibly of public failure or embarrassment

The only way to get over it is to dive in, accept possible bad outcomes, prepare your best and strive to do better next time.

Most of the conflict is in our own heads and we are our worst critic.

Frank Greene (NYC trumpeter, ex MF lead trumpet and top call player in NYC bands and Broadway shows) has a great book called “Quiet Mind” that covers all this and more and ways to overcome our own inner conflicts.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busking, which is basically exposing yourself in public to praise or ridicule. It is another way of doing stress inoculation. That's a term we use to get used to stress in small ways until we can do it in big ways.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Håken Hardenberger's comments about performing and performance anxiety. The gist (paraphrased from several videos): the time for being hypercritical about your playing is in the practice room when you're preparing. Once it's time to perform, put all that behind you and just think about the music. Most performers have performance anxiety; it means they care. Play what you've prepared as best you can. It will never be perfect, but the audience will still enjoy a good performance from you.

A few tactics that I've found helpful:
1. Prepare well, then taper practice effort so you're fresh for the performance.
2. Sit/stand tall with good posture. Be still.
3. Take a few slow, deep breaths before playing to relax and get your air working. Don't let the air falter while playing.
4. Think ahead. Anticipate what's coming next.
5. If you make a mistake, keep playing like it never happened. Many might not notice, and the rest might not be bothered by it too much.
6. Expect some performance anxiety. Believe you can cope with it and still have a successful performance. (If you've done this before successfully, remember that.)
Piccolo Stomvi
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play more!

Here's the answer that fixes the symptoms but not the problems: ask your doctor for "Beta-Blockers". (Propanalol, etc.) They literally block the adrenaline receptors so that one's body has a lessened physical response to stress. They are not directly psychoactive but you will feel different under their influence. I use them only under the most extreme circumstances and some would consider them "cheating".
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68
matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoseLindE4 wrote:
Everyone who cares gets nervous, otherwise where's the fun in performing? The question is how we manage it.

Being well prepared tends to solve a lot of problems. It makes us more confident and gives us something to fall back on if things become hairy.

Keep in mind that performing is a skill unto itself that requires it's own practice. It can take time to learn how to properly focus nervous energy into excitement.

Many great performers struggle with the psychology of performing. There's a lot going on in terms of our sense of self worth and identity. The more you can view it as a skill to be developed rather than something innate, the easier it is to progress. If you miss a lick in the practice room, you practice it until you can reliably play it. Most of us will do this without self judgement. If we lose te fight with nerves, many will see that as something shameful and deeply identify with failure rather than recognize the need to practice until we can reliably handle it.

For a kid, I'd keep it light and positive. Stay encouraging and give him opportunities to practice this skill in safe environments (without patronizing him). Encourage him to play for the family, at nursing homes, church, etc.

I've been struggling to figure out the seventh P. Proper preparation prevents...?

I really like this suggestion. Getting exercise and proper diet helps too.
bnsd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar issue, but mine is never while playing... public speaking does me in, and it's not even "nerves" per se. I don't get nervous, before, or even during, but I do suddenly start blacking out. So much so, that I HAVE blacked out on 3 occasions, and 2 other ones where I was able to sit down before it was too late.

Two marriages and one court session... plonk... on the ground. Dr. prescribed me beta blockers prior to a particularly stressful presentation, but because I didn't want to try it without any experience, I took one the previous day and ran through my presentation 5 times. Day of presentation I had no problems; but I didn't even take the beta blocker because the Dr had told me, and I quote "these may help... or they could make it worse"... WTH? That sounds like a bad proposition to me.

but it did teach me (as others have said)... when you are confident in the material and delivery (by repetition) it relieves a lot of stress.

The closest I get on trumpet is on solo passages particularly in classical music and even more so when it is quiet. So I joined a big band and rock bands, and it's less of a problem

Good luck to both of you... it's a problem that is hard to solve, but when it does, you'll look back and wonder why you (or he) was ever concerned.

also... sorry to be wordy... When I passed out at my first marriage, my mom told me that my dad did the same thing! First time I heard the story
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the passing out was a sign. 😄

Beta blockers have their place, but there is a certain stigma in some circles. They're pretty common at professional auditions. One highly esteemed TH member who has played in the best orchestras in the world said he took them at auditions since everyone else is. It didn't sound like he needed then, but wanted every edge. If winning or keeping the big gig is on the line, there's a place for them. Probably not youth orchestras. Doctors are happy to work with you in prescribing these. Some people shouldn't take them due to medical risks (it's a heart medication), so they have to find another way.

Obviously a kid in a youth orchestra shouldn't resort to them. learning how to deal with this stuff and an important part of childhood.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd add a couple things to what I wrote above that may reinforce how I go about this.

First, the vast majority of listeners in the audience want you to do well so use that in your favor. (There are plenty of groups where people want your chair and this isn't true as far as the musicians are concerned, however, and I absolutely hate that Often there's little doubt about it, too.)

Second, try to devote all of your concentration on making music and performing the melodic and rhythmic lines that are notated on the paper in front of you. The symbols mean nothing until the performer brings them to life, and therein lies the art. If you aren't prepared enough to make the written page work without thinking there is probably no room left in the mind to make music. Sometimes we are open to our own interpertation, sometimes we must do as someone else indicates, but if the concentration is on the task at hand, there is little room to worry about something not-so-great that might happen. For what it's worth, if you put 1500 people in the hall, my mind is pretty focused on the task at hand. I often really have to work at it when it's a rehearsal, even though we're getting paid to be there. It's probably a take on the old Jedi crap, but use the force, don't let it use you. Beat the fear in small efforts, little by little. Good luck.
mhenrikse
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've read and tried just about everything to deal with nerves. Pretty much nothing made a difference except this: perform a alot. Also, I don't believe nerves affect the outcome. You will perform the concert within 5% of how you played the piece in the practice room, nervous or not. So, focus on these two truths (for me): (1) no matter how you feel about it, you will perform at the level you practiced the piece, and (2) you can reduce nervousness by desensitization, that is performing challenging pieces a lot. Set up concerts in retirement homes, churches, schools, etc. Get quintets together and play pieces that challenge you: for example, Empire's music, rather than the usual slop. It takes time to sit on a stage and play like you own it. This will help.
Bbrent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I struggle with this as well, and have for many years - and not just with my playing; I'm anxious in any social situation where all the focus is on me. Definitely performing in front of an audience - any audience, be it family, friends, neighbors, teachers, anyone who will listen - with help with the gradual desensitization and normalization of being 'on'. I have even resorted to video recording myself - putting my phone on the stand and recording - and watching right after. Helps me get used to being listened to. Just my two cents. Thank you. B.
OldHorn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's all about who you are playing for.

If your son was playing for a bunch of 6 year olds, he wouldn't care. Put him in front of a bunch of adults, with lights on him, playing the same thing and then it changes. I used to get scared all the time. Now, if I do, it's mostly because I want to play well for the other musicians in the band. It's in your outlook. Years ago I played with a community band at Carnegie Hall. It was a full house and I don't remember getting nervous. If I were playing the same music in the same place with the NYP I would have to change my pants afterward.

I think you have to not care about the people listening. They get what they get. If they wanted it perfect they would get a recording.
VintageHorns

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that anxiety in trumpet play is tied to doing most anything in public. For example in high school I used to tremble constantly at a trumpet solo because I was so nervous. However I decided to take a public speaking class and see how that'd go. Eventually over time I grew comfortable speaking in public and I could tell when I performed from in class to on stage I felt much more comfortable. (Of course some nervousness is good, keeps you on your toes) I'd recommend taking advantage of opportunities to do something in front of people, at the very worst at least you'll get good at talking in public!
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PH wrote:
https://mirandageorgearticles.wordpress.com/2017/12/20/midwest-clinic-presentation/

There are about 5 minutes of dead air before the lecture on this soundcloud recording begins.

Wow. Great clinic.

johnlakejazz.com
jcopella

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Nervous in Performance Reply with quote

atneks wrote:
When I used to play in the orchestra, I remember I would be nervous when I have a solo.
It seems my son has the same problem.
How did you guys get over anxiety in a performance setting?

The single biggest thing I've found that helps me in situations like your son is experiencing is to remember to take a good, deep relaxed breath before playing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: