• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Just wondering what I did wrong?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonTen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homecookin wrote:
DonTen wrote:
Here is some proof I am not trying to sell them. I do not even own them! They are going to be for sale at a local estate sale this friday. So for all the Richard C's here how can I sell something I do not even own! I was just looking for info on them, You know makers, age and any other info I could get. So to prove it here is a link to the estate sale page. It is open Friday morning 1/5/2018

https://www.estatesales.net/FL/Punta-Gorda/33950/1754730

Don Ten...
I see by the number of your posts that you are relatively new to
the TH website.
So...welcome to TH where a "legitimate poster is often
treated with skepticism, disdain, and often ridicule" !!!
And, for those of you that don't get the Richard Cranium
remark....it means "DICKHEAD".

Thanks for the welcome. I will try and be more open with my posts in the future. I truly did not want to post the link to the estate sale. Sometimes you loose the think you want to buy by doing that. But it was the only way to prove I was not looking for buyers. Thanks again
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Furthermore...
I completely agree with and understand Don Herman rev2's
assertion that it is a good idea not to have TH turn into a mini eBay.
But what I don't understand is why so many people that have posted
on this thread have to automatically assume you have some ulterior
motive and you're trying to pull a fast one, in order to sell something.
I see that you have a total of 14 posts so there goes the well-worn
theory on TH, that you were trying to get your five posts in so you can
sell something in the marketplace.
So...like I said...welcome to TH.
DonTen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homecookin wrote:
Furthermore...
But what I don't understand is why so many people that have posted on this thread have to automatically assume you have some ulterior motive and you're trying to pull a fast one, in order to sell something.
I see that you have a total of 14 posts so there goes the well-worn theory on TH, that you were trying to get your five posts in so you can sell something in the marketplace.

I did not even know about the number of post rule for selling. I was never intending to sell. I was just looking for info. I also thought that some people here might like seeing the vintage mouthpieces.
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. You’re not selling the mouthpieces. You’re not involved with the estate sale. Fair enough.

There was confusion and skepticism. It’s been cleared up. No hurt feelings.

Maybe just move on and let this topic did a quiet death?

Last edited by trumpet.trader on Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some interesting things there. I'd be more interested in the old hand tools, maybe the armoire, than the mouthpieces.

No competition from me!

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonTen wrote:
homecookin wrote:
Furthermore...
But what I don't understand is why so many people that have posted on this thread have to automatically assume you have some ulterior motive and you're trying to pull a fast one, in order to sell something.
I see that you have a total of 14 posts so there goes the well-worn theory on TH, that you were trying to get your five posts in so you can sell something in the marketplace.

I did not even know about the number of post rule for selling. I was never intending to sell. I was just looking for info. I also thought that some people here might like seeing the vintage mouthpieces.

Don Ten...

Everything is good.
You really do not need to explain...
to me, or anyone else on TH.
I have a box full of old mouthpieces,
everything from an old Bach Mount Vernon
7B (50's vintage) and an old Bach 3C from
the 70's, also an old Purviance 4*K4, and
several Bob Reeves rims, under parts and
sleeves.
None of which are for sale ...BTW.
DonTen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
Some interesting things there. I'd be more interested in the old hand tools, maybe the armoire, than the mouthpieces.

No competition from me!

Yes I buy stuff like that to. I really like old Stanly planes.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record i remember the old thread. Questions about the pieces were brought up and then selling them on here was mentioned all except a mt vernon because the going rate on ebay. Now the selling was originally me tioned by another member, but was talked about by the op. However nothing as set in stone as it was just the estate sale the op was looking at.

Last edited by chef8489 on Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, so I learned something new on TH today, can hardly wait to tell my wife and students... In another thread I commented how snarky the place seems to be lately. Well, I've been called worse.
DonTen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chef8489 wrote:
For the record i remember the old thread. Questions about the pieces were brought up and then selling them on here was mentioned all except a mt vernon because the going rate on ebay. Now the selling was originally me tioned by another member, but was talked about by the op. However nothing as set in stone as it was just the estate sale the op was looking at.

Yes that is correct. I was just looking for info about the pieces. and someone brought up that I could sell them here. I commented that I could do that being nice, but I still never had any plans to do so. Like i said I was just looking for info. I could tell some where Vincent Bach's and I though that some where Rudy Muck's but I still don't know what some of them are.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 3C went for 705?!?

Is that what happens when Richard Cranium opens an E-Bay account and gives his ex-wife the password?
ammonshea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think many people do not quite understand how off-putting this sneering kind of response to new posters is. It's not amusing, it's not trenchant wit, and it doesn't make people want to engage with this site.
This is rather unfortunate, since TH does have a real wealth of information and incredibly generous commenters. But the hooting and self-congratulatory preening that comes up when someone thinks they've found a poster who is trying to sell something in the Marketplace (quelle horreur!) by following the rules established by this site is perplexing. If I wanted to read this kind of stuff online I'd head over to Youtube to read the comments there.
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ammonshea wrote:
I think many people do not quite understand how off-putting this sneering kind of response to new posters is. It's not amusing, it's not trenchant wit, and it doesn't make people want to engage with this site.
This is rather unfortunate, since TH does have a real wealth of information and incredibly generous commenters. But the hooting and self-congratulatory preening that comes up when someone thinks they've found a poster who is trying to sell something in the Marketplace (quelle horreur!) by following the rules established by this site is perplexing. If I wanted to read this kind of stuff online I'd head over to Youtube to read the comments there.

Exactly right !!!
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonTen wrote:
trumpet.trader wrote:
DonTen wrote:
JVL wrote:
Andy Del wrote:
For what it's worth, I can se a Rudy Muck, Olds and numerous Bach mouthpieces. All seem to be v very worn with plotting missing. Personally, it's worth about $0.00 or for use as sinkers (but I don't fish).

TO be collectable, they need to be in good/excellent condition: these are not.

cheers

Andy

Andy, you don't fish, but be careful not to be fished by this sinker , would be a sin sink sing !

happy new year to everybody

Well I am not fishing for buyers. I truly thought you guys might like to see some vintage mouthpieces. But then there is always a Richard Cranium in the crowd. So If i do buy these they will NEVER be for sale here, I MEAN NEVER!!!

Hahaha this has to be a parody right? I had to miss the joke somewhere? Or are you seriously having a tantrum about nobody wanting to buy your box of beat up mouthpieces?

And another Richard C chimes in! I was NEVER trying to sell them! That is my whole point. But I guess there are feeble minded people who can't grasp that. oh well.

hello all,
just to clear things, i was just playing with words, and not talking about the intentions of DonTen.

Pace e salute
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ammonshea wrote:

People who come here, post the minimum post counts to sell, don't really contribute, don't give a damn about the community here. They are here just to make money or to unload their stuff. Many members are tired of this and that is why you get these responses. If you are here to actually give back to the community, they welcome you with open arms. All you have to do is make the effort.
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chef8489 wrote:
ammonshea wrote:

People who come here, post the minimum post counts to sell, don't really contribute, don't give a damn about the community here. They are here just to make money or to unload their stuff. Many members are tired of this and that is why you get these responses. If you are here to actually give back to the community, they welcome you with open arms. All you have to do is make the effort.

A perfect example of what ammonshea
was referring to.
You just proved his point.
Some of you guys take TH way
too seriously.
"People who come here, post the minimum
post counts to sell, don't really contribute,
Don't give a damn about the community here.
They are here just to make money, or to unload
their stuff."

How ridiculous.

What statistics are you basing all of that on ?
Do you actually keep a record of guys that just
make five posts, "unload their stuff" in the
marketplace and never post on TH again ???
It is quite possible that someone would make
his five posts, sell something in the marketplace,
and stick around on TH for years to come...
is it not ?
Quite frankly, I agree with ammonshea
that it is "off-putting", to say the least, when guys
pile on with snide little remarks about someone's
initial five posts on TH.
Once again, some of you guys take his website way
too seriously.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homecookin wrote:
chef8489 wrote:
ammonshea wrote:

A perfect example of what ammonshea
was referring to.
You just proved his point.
Some of you guys take TH way
too seriously.
"People who come here, post the minimum
post counts to sell, don't really contribute,
Don't give a damn about the community here.
They are here just to make money, or to unload
their stuff."

How ridiculous.

What statistics are you basing all of that on ?
Do you actually keep a record of guys that just
make five posts, "unload their stuff" in the
marketplace and never post on TH again ???
It is quite possible that someone would make
his five posts, sell something in the marketplace,
and stick around on TH for years to come...
is it not ?
Quite frankly, I agree with ammonshea
that it is "off-putting", to say the least, when guys
pile on with snide little remarks about someone's
initial five posts on TH.
Once again, some of you guys take his website way
too seriously.

All you have to do is go through the marketplace and look at the people selling and look at the posts they made. You can think it is ridiculous or not but it is what it is. Thats why most other forums I belong to have much stricter rules on selling. Like I said it does not take much effort to make quality posts and contribute and make it known your intentions. Yes some people jump off wrong from the get go and drive away someone who intended to stick around, but I would say that is far less that the people that post the min and then just sell and dont contribute. Again all you have to do is go to the marketplace and pull up the seller and look at their posts. Judge for yourself.

Do some of us take this website too seriously? Maybe, but when this website is talked down upon by every other or facebook and is refereed to as a joke, how can we not. I came to the ops defense after he explained himself. First explained why I thought his thread was deleted then discussed what was said in the thread later on. If the op is interested in trumpets even though he does not play, then I encourage him sticking around. Hell if he is just interested in purchasing horns from estates and learning about them fixing them up and selling them, again stick around. You are learning and contributing.
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonTen, these mouthpieces may be worthless, but I can't tell for sure from the photo. Plating wear is serious, but silver tarnish is not. There could be something of value in that box. Why don't you offer $20-30 for the lot, polish them up, then tell us what you have. If they really are worthless, at least you've had some fun.
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And my two cents on politeness:
I am 66, and I've been around TH for many years. But I'm nervous every time I post, because some folks are so rude and picky.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptptp wrote:
DonTen, these mouthpieces may be worthless, but I can't tell for sure from the photo. Plating wear is serious, but silver tarnish is not. There could be something of value in that box. Why don't you offer $20-30 for the lot, polish them up, then tell us what you have. If they really are worthless, at least you've had some fun.

I agree with this. If you can get it for around 20-30.00 and do some work to them maybe there might be something worth it in there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: