• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Just wondering what I did wrong?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chef8489 wrote:
homecookin wrote:
chef8489 wrote:
ammonshea wrote:
I think many people do not quite understand how off-putting this sneering kind of response to new posters is. It's not amusing, it's not trenchant wit, and it doesn't make people want to engage with this site.
This is rather unfortunate, since TH does have a real wealth of information and incredibly generous commenters. But the hooting and self-congratulatory preening that comes up when someone thinks they've found a poster who is trying to sell something in the Marketplace (quelle horreur!) by following the rules established by this site is perplexing. If I wanted to read this kind of stuff online I'd head over to Youtube to read the comments there.

People who come here, post the minimum post counts to sell, don't really contribute, don't give a damn about the community here. They are here just to make money or to unload their stuff. Many members are tired of this and that is why you get these responses. If you are here to actually give back to the community, they welcome you with open arms. All you have to do is make the effort.

A perfect example of what ammonshea
was referring to.
You just proved his point.
Some of you guys take TH way
too seriously.
"People who come here, post the minimum
post counts to sell, don't really contribute,
Don't give a damn about the community here.
They are here just to make money, or to unload
their stuff."

How ridiculous.

What statistics are you basing all of that on ?
Do you actually keep a record of guys that just
make five posts, "unload their stuff" in the
marketplace and never post on TH again ???
It is quite possible that someone would make
his five posts, sell something in the marketplace,
and stick around on TH for years to come...
is it not ?
Quite frankly, I agree with ammonshea
that it is "off-putting", to say the least, when guys
pile on with snide little remarks about someone's
initial five posts on TH.
Once again, some of you guys take his website way
too seriously.

All you have to do is go through the marketplace and look at the people selling and look at the posts they made. You can think it is ridiculous or not but it is what it is. Thats why most other forums I belong to have much stricter rules on selling. Like I said it does not take much effort to make quality posts and contribute and make it known your intentions. Yes some people jump off wrong from the get go and drive away someone who intended to stick around, but I would say that is far less that the people that post the min and then just sell and dont contribute. Again all you have to do is go to the marketplace and pull up the seller and look at their posts. Judge for yourself.

Do some of us take this website too seriously? Maybe, but when this website is talked down upon by every other or facebook and is refereed to as a joke, how can we not. I came to the ops defense after he explained himself. First explained why I thought his thread was deleted then discussed what was said in the thread later on. If the op is interested in trumpets even though he does not play, then I encourage him sticking around. Hell if he is just interested in purchasing horns from estates and learning about them fixing them up and selling them, again stick around. You are learning and contributing.

"All you have to do is go through the marketplace and look at the people selling and look at the posts they made."

You actually have time to do that ?
WOW...that's all I can say !!!
I would rather spend my time booking gigs and
working gigs and practicing the TRUMPET!!!
Once again... I think that is taking this
thing way too seriously.

Last edited by homecookin on Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:49 pm; edited 8 times in total
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homecookin wrote:
chef8489 wrote:
homecookin wrote:
chef8489 wrote:
ammonshea wrote:
I think many people do not quite understand how off-putting this sneering kind of response to new posters is. It's not amusing, it's not trenchant wit, and it doesn't make people want to engage with this site.
This is rather unfortunate, since TH does have a real wealth of information and incredibly generous commenters. But the hooting and self-congratulatory preening that comes up when someone thinks they've found a poster who is trying to sell something in the Marketplace (quelle horreur!) by following the rules established by this site is perplexing. If I wanted to read this kind of stuff online I'd head over to Youtube to read the comments there.

People who come here, post the minimum post counts to sell, don't really contribute, don't give a damn about the community here. They are here just to make money or to unload their stuff. Many members are tired of this and that is why you get these responses. If you are here to actually give back to the community, they welcome you with open arms. All you have to do is make the effort.

A perfect example of what ammonshea
was referring to.
You just proved his point.
Some of you guys take TH way
too seriously.
"People who come here, post the minimum
post counts to sell, don't really contribute,
Don't give a damn about the community here.
They are here just to make money, or to unload
their stuff."

How ridiculous.

What statistics are you basing all of that on ?
Do you actually keep a record of guys that just
make five posts, "unload their stuff" in the
marketplace and never post on TH again ???
It is quite possible that someone would make
his five posts, sell something in the marketplace,
and stick around on TH for years to come...
is it not ?
Quite frankly, I agree with ammonshea
that it is "off-putting", to say the least, when guys
pile on with snide little remarks about someone's
initial five posts on TH.
Once again, some of you guys take his website way
too seriously.

All you have to do is go through the marketplace and look at the people selling and look at the posts they made. You can think it is ridiculous or not but it is what it is. Thats why most other forums I belong to have much stricter rules on selling. Like I said it does not take much effort to make quality posts and contribute and make it known your intentions. Yes some people jump off wrong from the get go and drive away someone who intended to stick around, but I would say that is far less that the people that post the min and then just sell and dont contribute. Again all you have to do is go to the marketplace and pull up the seller and look at their posts. Judge for yourself.

Do some of us take this website too seriously? Maybe, but when this website is talked down upon by every other or facebook and is refereed to as a joke, how can we not. I came to the ops defense after he explained himself. First explained why I thought his thread was deleted then discussed what was said in the thread later on. If the op is interested in trumpets even though he does not play, then I encourage him sticking around. Hell if he is just interested in purchasing horns from estates and learning about them fixing them up and selling them, again stick around. You are learning and contributing.

"All you have to do is go through the marketplace and look at the people selling and look at the post date made"

You actually have time to do that ?
WOW...that's all I can say !!!
I would rather spend my time booking gigs and
working gigs and practicing the TRUMPET!!!
Once again I think that is taking this
thing way too seriously.

I only go through the marketplace when looking at horns. Glad you are booking gigs and looking for gigs. I practice as much as I can. I dont currently play gigs. Sorry if it bothers you that when I am looking purchasing something I do a check into the seller. To me that is pretty smart.
DonTen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptptp wrote:
DonTen, these mouthpieces may be worthless, but I can't tell for sure from the photo. Plating wear is serious, but silver tarnish is not. There could be something of value in that box. Why don't you offer $20-30 for the lot, polish them up, then tell us what you have. If they really are worthless, at least you've had some fun.

Yes I am hoping they are not to expensive. I will see Friday morning?
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will have to agree -- I remember the original post and saw nothing wrong with it... and I have been one to complain in the past about certain vendors who posted clearly with the intent to sell; albeit, interesting items to trumpet players.

Looking through the estate items I am struck be what an interesting person or persons must have lived there. They apparently had a variety of hobbies -- autos, flying, music, art. There is even a Picasso in the estate??? I don't know art at all so maybe it was a print or something else.

An MV 3C really sold for over $700???? I can't imagine that sale actually completed. Great if it did! I sold an MV 3C a few years ago and netted about $150 ... should have waited, I suppose.

Good luck!

-- Joe
DonTen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just looked at the sale page and they added more pics. They took them all out of the box and individually labeled them. So the prices might be higher than what I want to pay. I will see tomorrow morning?
DonTen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got 5 of them. I don't know if I should post what I got for fear that someone will think I am fishing. A also got for free an original 1956 Vincent Bach mouthpiece catalog. It is pretty cool. shows all of the mouthpieces that they where making. It explains all about how they where made and which ones to use for what ever type horn and style of music. It has nice pics of all the mouthpieces they made. I really like it.
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonTen wrote:
Well I got 5 of them. I don't know if I should post what I got for fear that someone will think I am fishing. A also got for free an original 1956 Vincent Bach mouthpiece catalog. It is pretty cool. shows all of the mouthpieces that they where making. It explains all about how they where made and which ones to use for what ever type horn and style of music. It has nice pics of all the mouthpieces they made. I really like it.

Dude. It sounds pretty clear you’re trying to bait people. I might be wrong, but I don’t think you bought the pieces to keep them as a collector and i think it’s obvious you want to sell them.

If you want to sell them in the Market Place, have at it. If you want people to message you privately(and sneak around the Market Place and rules of posting here with the intent to sell merchandise) I’m sure they will and you’ll probably get your way.

Being honest and straight forward is a much better approach. The guys I’ve dealt with here are good and honest and I’ve never had a sour deal. But I’ve never seen a seller be so divisive and disingenuous about motive. It’s a real turn off.
DonTen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.trader wrote:
DonTen wrote:

Dude. It sounds pretty clear you’re trying to bait people. I might be wrong, but I don’t think you bought the pieces to keep them as a collector and i think it’s obvious you want to sell them.

If you want to sell them in the Market Place, have at it. If you want people to message you privately(and sneak around the Market Place and rules of posting here with the intent to sell merchandise) I’m sure they will and you’ll probably get your way.

Being honest and straight forward is a much better approach. The guys I’ve dealt with here are good and honest and I’ve never had a sour deal. But I’ve never seen a seller be so divisive and disingenuous about motive. It’s a real turn off.

I think that my post on the first page says it clearly. They will not be for sale here at all! No matter who here PM's me I will not sell them to someone here through this sight, NOT going to happen!
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonTen wrote:
trumpet.trader wrote:
DonTen wrote:

I think that my post on the first page says it clearly. They will not be for sale here at all! No matter who here PM's me I will not sell them to someone here through this sight, NOT going to happen!

Then why the internet troll behavior? I don’t get what’s motivating you.
DonTen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.trader wrote:
DonTen wrote:
trumpet.trader wrote:
DonTen wrote:

Then why the internet troll behavior? I don’t get what’s motivating you.

I actually like the history of items. I enjoy finding out about these things and looking them up. I actually think the history of the Bach mouthpieces is very fascinating. When he started making them by hand in New York and the process of inventing from what I have read a very high quality item. I am a collector of different antique items and I appreciate the value and quality of other such things.
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the history of things, too, and would think the catalog from ‘56 is the most interesting thing you found. I know they sell reasonably well on eBay, too. Not interested myself because scans are available online and I am not interested in collecting any more.

Congrats! Sounds like you had a fun day.

— Joe
DonTen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a small example of what I like doing. I got the original 1956 Bach mouthpiece catalog. Earlier I contacted the Bach loyalist web sight and offered to give them a complete scan of it. If I had such info that would benefit this place I would do it here as well. In fact I plan on scanning it in the next few days and when done anyone here is more than welcome to a copy. I will post it in a separate post later. Now I don't have to do that but I enjoy contributing to other peoples passions.
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would enjoy that, thanks! Not so easy to post photos here as you have to upload them to a hosting site and link to it here. I used to use photobucket but that site is just about no longer usable.

I thought that I had seen a full catalog scan of that generation at the Bach Loyalist but didn’t see it now, just covers. In some ways it is kind of surprising how consistent the Bach catalogs have been throughout the years. The current catalog, which can be downloaded in pdf form from Bach-Selmer, is not that much different than one from around the 60’s or so.

- Joe
DonTen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjl wrote:
I like the history of things, too, and would think the catalog from ‘56 is the most interesting thing you found. I know they sell reasonably well on eBay, too. Not interested myself because scans are available online and I am not interested in collecting any more.

Congrats! Sounds like you had a fun day.

— Joe

I did not see your post before I posted about scanning the catalog. I looked on the Bach loyalist web sight and I think they have a 1958 but I did not see a 56 catalog there. I don't know if there is much difference But I Emailed them and offered a scan and have not heard back yet. I am trying to figure out how to get the scans back into a file on my computer from the scanner. When I do I will post them here. At the minimum I will take very good pics of it and post them.
trumanjazzguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A decent replate job can be had for $40, especially if just the rim and cup are replated.
‘Pieces:
TPT: 34-throat shallow double-cup, Chet Baker’s Custom Schilke, Bach Corp 3, Bach Mt. Vernon 6C, Ken Titmus BF Custom(s).
CRN: NY Giardinelli 7SV.
FL: Yamaha Bobby Shew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: