• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Was Clarke first?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brassmusician
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is fascinating to me is that Mendez's father was able to help him restore his playing when an array of top pedagogues could not. Sounds like pedal tones where the answer for him but I wonder where Mendez's father got the idea for that? Where does Stamp fit into the picture, was he a student of Maggio?
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject: was clarke first Reply with quote

I want to thanks whoever put up this very interesting topic. I learn so much getting into the comments and what people have learned about the history of our brass instrument. Thank you
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:36 am    Post subject: Was Clarke first? Reply with quote

Well, there was Arban in europe. Clarke mentioned a couple other cornetists in writings I have seen. Just recently I read a letter he wrote to a brass manufacturer and Clarke was not favorable about the trumpet or its place in band literature. And, particularly with regards to "ever" being a solo instrument. Glad we have Clarke's legacy and glad we know how the trumpet does pretty well today, as does the cornet. There is a cornet solo played by Phil Smith on youtube with a New York state brass band. Phil, of course, kicked axx and took telephone numbers with the solo but it demonstrates the beauty of both horns. Ole Edvard Antonsen of Norway also has cornet solos on YouTube.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: