• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Besson 928 Parts Help?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mncorrado

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Besson 928 Parts Help? Reply with quote

So the Besson 928 adventure continues. The trigger issues I referenced early are resolved. Somehow my daughter's are able to reach and use the triggers without them having to be modified.

I sent the cornet on to Chairlie Melk for him to once it over and work whatever magic might be needed.

Unfortunately two small things came up. Two braces are pulling away from the second valve. Secondly there is some small finish issues with the main tuning slide.

Charlie thinks he can just re-braze on the braces but they will have to be refinished (silver) or he can create new braces himself. It is not the end of the world but disappointing. I told him I would prefer to keep the original braces but defer to what he believes is best. As long as the horn plays and sounds good I am fine with either choice.

The main tuning slide has some pits on it where the plating has chipped away. He said that it would not hold up to being re-plated.

What was surprising to me is that he said it would be difficult to find parts or get them. Call me clueless but why would it be so hard to get a couple of replacement parts from Besson?

I sent a note to Besson USA corporate office to see if they can direct me to a solution.

Surely there must be a way to get replacement parts.
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this sounds illogical but it is a common problem in manufacturing.

In the case of a new latest product new to the market, manufacturers have to overproduce parts and delay the launch of the new product until enough replacement parts are distributed and stored and available in case of necessary warranty repairs of the new product.

During the lifetime of a product current models are supported by the production and availability of spare parts but some parts are low stock items due to expected low consumption of them, and these parts can all be consumed if unexpected failures strike those parts on customers items and repairers order more parts than the manufacturer holds in stock

Some models are sold in such few numbers that it doesnt make much sense to hold stocks of all spare parts nationwide or worldwide.

When a model is updated if it is a minor upgrade the model designation may stay the same but old parts used on the older version are replaced by new parts and stocks of the old parts used in older versions may run out and tooling may be lost for those parts.

A repairer often does not know which parts will be available on a long running model such as the 928 until he places an order for them, and the repairer may err on the side of caution when advising a customer about parts availability.

The 928 has been in production since 1984 and is likely therefore to suffer from all the above mentioned constraints which cause parts availability issues for repairers.

From the description of your instrument I would guess that it is a 928 manufactured some time ago and therefore there may have been a revision to the 928 line since it was manufactured and this might have led to parts availability issues.
mncorrado

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I totally understand. Hopefully a solution will present itself.

The serial for the cornet is 876391.

From what I understand that dates to a 2000 manufacturing date.
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...not to mention the convoluted ownership history of Besson. The Besson of 2018 is not the same company as the Besson of 2000. Other people with more knowledge than me might chip in here, but your Besson would have been made in a different factory, by different people, in a different country, to the current 928 Sovs, which I'm pretty sure are made in France.

Good luck with the horn!

Cheers,
Roger
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Mpc. - ACB 3CS, ACB 3ES, Curry 3BBC, Kanstul FB Flugel
brianj
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Besson 928 Parts Help? Reply with quote

mncorrado wrote:
So the Besson 928 adventure continues. The trigger issues I referenced early are resolved. Somehow my daughter's are able to reach and use the triggers without them having to be modified.

I sent the cornet on to Chairlie Melk for him to once it over and work whatever magic might be needed.

Unfortunately two small things came up. Two braces are pulling away from the second valve. Secondly there is some small finish issues with the main tuning slide.

Charlie thinks he can just re-braze on the braces but they will have to be refinished (silver) or he can create new braces himself. It is not the end of the world but disappointing. I told him I would prefer to keep the original braces but defer to what he believes is best. As long as the horn plays and sounds good I am fine with either choice.

The main tuning slide has some pits on it where the plating has chipped away. He said that it would not hold up to being re-plated.

What was surprising to me is that he said it would be difficult to find parts or get them. Call me clueless but why would it be so hard to get a couple of replacement parts from Besson?

I sent a note to Besson USA corporate office to see if they can direct me to a solution.

Surely there must be a way to get replacement parts.

Hi

Try this lot.

https://www.dawkes.co.uk/brass+repair+supplies/cornet/cornet+spare+parts/besson/besson+~+927%5E928+sovereign

I hope that helps

Brian jones
mncorrado

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup... I sent that information on to Charlie. I am hoping it may help him with the restoration/repair.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: