• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Switching between trumpet and cornet-advice for newer player

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bulgakov

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Switching between trumpet and cornet-advice for newer player Reply with quote

I'm currently playing trumpet in a community orchestra, and I recently moved up to the intermediate brass band at the local brass academy. Moving up required switching to cornet--and so now I am learning on two instruments. I've been playing trumpet for about 2 years (but really less, since I had a 6 year break after a natural disaster here threw everything into chaos. I only started up again seriously last May). Point is, I'm pretty new to brass instruments.

I am also taking lessons from the brass academy, though I don't start those up again until February with a new teacher, and these will be the first real lessons on the cornet.

So, while I will be asking my teacher lots of questions when lessons restart in February, in the meantime, any thoughts, advice, comments etc. about possible pitfalls or things to bear in mind for the newer player switching between instruments would be most appreciated.

I have been doing some reading around this forum and also found some other useful links such as this one:

http://trumpetpla.net/2017/01/22/trumpet-vs-cornet/

but I'm keen to hear more.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to play both and the secret for me is playing on mouthpieces and instruments that keep the feel similar. By feel I mean rim size and overall resistance. If you put a Bach C cup cornet mouthpiece in most cornets they will feel much more restrictive than the equivalent in a trumpet.

The main difference when switching is articulation. I find it easier to articulate on Cornet so when I switch I can find the trumpet a bit "splattery" for a while.

How I have coped with this over the years is to compromise on both ends. I use slightly deeper and more V shaped trumpet mouthpieces and slightly more forgiving cornet mouthpieces. I know some people disagree with that approach, but it works for me.

As a relative beginner you might find less of a difference when switching. I have to swap mid performance so the ability to do it easily is quite important for me.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just the opposite to GordonH.

I find it easier and better to use a deep cup with my Conn 5A cornet. I use the Bach 5C mostly on trumpet, although I'll use the B and A models on occasion. But I find the 5C cornet mp too shallow for a good sound so I use the 5A or the B.

But I do think it is wise to stick to the same rim size if you are going to be switching back and forth between trumpet and cornet.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have, or build, a solid concept of the cornet sound (trumpet sound too). Listen, listen. listen.

Then as you pick up the cornet, keep it quiet. Spend a significant amount of time playing at softer dynamics and settle into the different tone and feel.
I play in a local brass band, many in the cornet section don't spend this kind of time on the instrument and it is noticeable - overblown, biting quality of sound.

Your mouthpiece selection will go a long way toward your desired tone. I prefer the same/similar rim but the cup depth and shape is quite different.
i.e. If you're playing in a Brass Band you'll probably go significantly deeper than you would otherwise.

Curry makes an excellent line of mouthpieces - and very consistent rims with a variety of depths/shapes: DC, VC, TC, BBC... And they won't set you back a ton of $$

As you get better on the cornet and learn the tone, going back and forth becomes pretty easy - you'll be surprized at how quickly your chops make the tansition. Use you're ears as your guide.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Bulgakov

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
I have to play both and the secret for me is playing on mouthpieces and instruments that keep the feel similar. By feel I mean rim size and overall resistance. If you put a Bach C cup cornet mouthpiece in most cornets they will feel much more restrictive than the equivalent in a trumpet..

I certainly feel the difference between the two, but I am not sure how much of that is the instrument and how much is the mouthpiece. My trumpet is a student model Yamaha YTR1310 with a Bach 5C (I have a Getzen Severinsen I bought off a Trumpet Herald member back in the US at my mother-in-law's, so I have that to look forward to when I get the opportunity). The cornet, which the academy has loaned to me, is something called an Artemis. It is a shepherd's crook, with a Besson 7 mouthpiece.

Thanks for all your advice.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Switching between Reply with quote

Hello all,
I think the advice that has been given is all true. I think you have to make your decision what MP to choose, based on what part your are playing and your experience. I play solo cornet and have first row bandmates that are playing deep V's and can have some serious endurance issues. They are good/classically trained players who gig a lot about town, so I trust their judgement on what they can handle. For me, I play a deeper but not a V bowl cup. I have found that I can still have the cornet sound sound, but still last to the end. If i were playing 2nd or third parts, I would totally be into the V or deeper brass band cup. I play Warburtons and the MBC or XD cups would be more appropriate for the lower parts, IMHO. Otherwise I will stay on my D cup for cornet. I play almost daily, and perform in a dance band, quintet and do other keyed trumpet stuff in church settings.
Bulgakov

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Switching between Reply with quote

Christian K. Peters wrote:
Hello all,
I think the advice that has been given is all true. I think you have to make your decision what MP to choose, based on what part your are playing and your experience. I play solo cornet and have first row bandmates that are playing deep V's and can have some serious endurance issues. They are good/classically trained players who gig a lot about town, so I trust their judgement on what they can handle. For me, I play a deeper but not a V bowl cup. I have found that I can still have the cornet sound sound, but still last to the end. If i were playing 2nd or third parts, I would totally be into the V or deeper brass band cup. I play Warburtons and the MBC or XD cups would be more appropriate for the lower parts, IMHO. Otherwise I will stay on my D cup for cornet. I play almost daily, and perform in a dance band, quintet and do other keyed trumpet stuff in church settings.

As a new player, I find the whole mouthpiece thing rather overwhelming...Having not played on any of these mouthpieces, can you give me an idea of how these compare to what I have for the cornet--a Besson 7?

By the way, I see you are in Eugene! That's where my mother-in-law is. Next time I am up there I will have to check out the Blue Skies Big Band :-) The Youtube clip I found was great.
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure you're playing both instruments every day, and try for similar rim sizes so that the transition doesn't feel too strange. The key will be to play both horns quite a bit. And as another poster had suggested, listen listen listen to good cornet players so that you can get a sound concept going. There are many great cornet playing example on Youtube.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was playing both trumpet and cornet (in a BBB) a number of years ago. I did fine with a Bach 3C on the trumpet and a Bach 3 on the cornet (Olds Ambassador short model). The dedicated cornet players were playing Denis Wick pieces. So my take is to use about the same rim on both with a deeper cup on the cornet. I don't know about the Besson 7. There is F. Besson (France), English Besson, and American made stencil Bessons made by Kanstul and Blessing. GOK who made your mouthpiece and what the specs are.
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mainly played cornet in a BBB setting for decades. Only play trumpet since a few years.

For me the switch is more mental and the way I approach my playing on either instrument.

My cornet approach is mainly very lyrical and soft tounge.
My trumpet playing is different.

Mouthpiece wise I play whatever gives me the sound I am looking for.

The best way to get into cornet playing BBB style is to go on YouTube and listen to some good players like David Daws and then try to imitate them.
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulgakov wrote:
GordonH wrote:
I have to play both and the secret for me is playing on mouthpieces and instruments that keep the feel similar. By feel I mean rim size and overall resistance. If you put a Bach C cup cornet mouthpiece in most cornets they will feel much more restrictive than the equivalent in a trumpet..

I certainly feel the difference between the two, but I am not sure how much of that is the instrument and how much is the mouthpiece. My trumpet is a student model Yamaha YTR1310 with a Bach 5C (I have a Getzen Severinsen I bought off a Trumpet Herald member back in the US at my mother-in-law's, so I have that to look forward to when I get the opportunity). The cornet, which the academy has loaned to me, is something called an Artemis. It is a shepherd's crook, with a Besson 7 mouthpiece.

Thanks for all your advice.

Hi Bulgakov

You have been given a lot of good advice already. Before I tell you how I do it, my mouthpiece recommendation for you would be the Bach 5A, since you play a Bach 5C on trumpet.

I own a Bach 5A and feel that compared to a lot of the Bach cornet mouthpieces, it gives a nice cornet tone.

Like GordonH, I frequently have to switch between trumpet and cornet in the same rehearsal/during the same gig. In my case, this is when playing in a community light orchestra. I however also play Principal Cornet in a local brass band, trumpet in a symphony orchestra and trumpet/flugel in a jazz band. I have previously played trumpet in big bands.

This is how I personally do it, but I don't believe that this will necessarily work for everyone. Not having a particularly bright sound, and not playing professionally, I have an acceptable orchestral trumpet sound on my custom James R New modular top, which is a copy of the cup end of my 2005 trumpet Bach 3C. I use this as my starting point.

GordonH is completely right when he says that a Bach C cup cornet mouthpiece will feel much more restrictive in most cornets than an equivalent Bach C cup mouthpiece on trumpet. The Besson Sovereign cornet in my opinion demonstrates this perfectly, being a great player with a Denis Wick cornet mouthpiece but horribly stuffy with a Bach 3C.

What I have done is to look for a cornet that will have an acceptable brass band cornet sound with my usual 3C top, if played with an appropriate approach (and this is the important part in my opinion). I have found that the Yamaha Xeno works for me in this regard far better than the Besson Sovereign.

Another advantage to the Yamaha Xeno for me, is that the extent to which it is more restrictive than my trumpet with the same top, is within the levels that I could easily do something about it. Whereas to get the same top to work well on a Sovereign, I had to enlarge both the throat and backbore, with the Yamaha Xeno, all I had to do to reduce the resistance to make it workable, was to switch to a standard Kanstul B10 backbore (copy of a Bach 10 backbore, which is the standard backbore on Bach C and no letter cups) which inserts a little further into the mouthpiece receiver. It is this greatest insertion amount which is resulting in a reduced level of resistance.

Before I got my Xeno, I use to double between a Bach 184ML cornet and Bach 37 trumpet, both with standard Bach 3Cs. They played almost identically with the cornet having a little more resistance. Unfortunately as much as I liked my sound on my Bach 184ML/Bach 3C combination, it was not sufficiently brass band cornet-like.

The Yamaha Xeno with my 3C combination does not play as much like my trumpet as my Bach 184ML, differing quite a lot in the way it takes the air and in how it articulates, and also has more resistance than my trumpet set-up, but it is similar enough to allow switching in the same rehearsal/gig, and brass band cornet-like enough to play in a section of primarily Besson Sovereign cornets/Denis Wick mouthpieces, thanks in part to the inherent brass band sound of the Yamaha Xeno cornet, and in part to me paying particular attention to my brass band cornet sound/approach and how it blends.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, this is how I am achieving trumpet/cornet doubling.

Since you have been given a cornet and cannot experiment like I have, I would suggest trying the following cornet mouthpieces, to keep to a similar rim feel and diameter:

Bach 5B, Bach 5A, Curry 5DC, Curry 5TC, Curry 5BBC.

Best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is all well nad good to put time and effort into what mouoiece is going to work best, etc. etc., but there is only one way to be able to find a direction through playing both trumpet and cornet, and that is you must practice in both.

It's up to you if you do this daily, or switch every day, or week or whatever. But you need to put in time on both instruments and become used to playing them and their idiosyncrasies.

Cheers

Andy
Bulgakov

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
It is all well nad good to put time and effort into what mouoiece is going to work best, etc. etc., but there is only one way to be able to find a direction through playing both trumpet and cornet, and that is you must practice in both.

It's up to you if you do this daily, or switch every day, or week or whatever. But you need to put in time on both instruments and become used to playing them and their idiosyncrasies.

Cheers

Andy

I agree. I'm definitely not a person who spends a lot of time changing gear, but being new to these instruments, the discussion is quite interesting and informative. I had no idea before joining this forum that trumpet mouthpieces were as complicated (and likely more-so) than on saxophones. I'm mainly interested in knowing more about what I have at the moment and how they compare.
Corny Cornet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree practice both. As always it comes down to practice being the most important thing. If you want to play both practice both. The sound and style you want from each will be different. Each cornet and each trumpet will have its own intonation issues to deal with. And never forget cornets and trumpets are different instruments and must be treated differently.

Equipment wise use what gives you the sound you want from each. I'd go for a similar diameter mouthpiece but you will want different throat and depth to get the sound you want. For example I once used a Bach MP in a Bach trumpet and switched to a DW in a besson cornet. Each MP had a similar cup diameter but was othwise completely different, this enabled me to play trumpet in orchestra, cornet in brass bands and both in a wind band.
Bulgakov

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the advice and comments. You got me curious, so I got out both mouthpieces, put them side by side and did some rough measuring since I could not find any specs online for the Besson.

The Bach specs I could find list it as 16.25mm for the diameter.

The Besson is approximately 17mm.

I noticed the Besson is significantly deeper and has what I assume what you are all referring to as a V cup. The opening at the base of the cup is also significantly larger. I can't measure it, but it is quite obvious even eyeballing it.

The outer rim sizes are identical, and they are both pretty comfortable for me.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
my mouthpiece recommendation for you would be the Bach 5A, since you play a Bach 5C on trumpet.

Lou

I agree completely. I play a Bach 5C on trumpet and the 5A on cornet and have always been pleased with the end result : the difference in sound between the two instruments.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
ButchA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeB wrote:
I am just the opposite to GordonH.

I find it easier and better to use a deep cup with my Conn 5A cornet. I use the Bach 5C mostly on trumpet, although I'll use the B and A models on occasion. But I find the 5C cornet mp too shallow for a good sound so I use the 5A or the B.

But I do think it is wise to stick to the same rim size if you are going to be switching back and forth between trumpet and cornet.

GeorgeB wrote:
I agree completely. I play a Bach 5C on trumpet and the 5A on cornet and have always been pleased with the end result : the difference in sound between the two instruments.

Well said... I agree with George 100%...

Like him, I like deeper cups with my Olds Ambassador cornet, and regular C cups with my trumpet. They are both approximately the same size too.

Cornet: Conn 3 (no letter) mouthpiece, bought off eBay.
Trumpet: Curry 3M. mouthpiece. (like a 3C but just a tiny hair different).
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:

Cheers

Andy

Yes. This.

Do not become overly fixated on precise mouthpiece choice. Allow yourself to become versatile using whatever assortment of mouthpieces to which you may have access.

Likely, your embouchure is not yet finely developed, anyhow.

~ r2 ~
former community organizer

I miss Genghis Khan ....
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:41 am    Post subject: switching back and forth between trumpet and cornet Reply with quote

There are lots of good hints in this topic. I did this, albeit 50 years ago in college. Was given a school cornet when I made symphonic winds, They used 6 cornets and at times 2 trumpet parts. I agree that the cornet was much easier to articulate on. Bride of the Waves is easier mastered on a cornet than a trumpet. I played a 1C Bach on trumpet and was given a Schilke mouthpiece by my teacher for cornet. Don't ask me to remember designation numbers but he said that it paralleled what I played with trumpet. I love both instruments and their individual personalities. You sound like you have done some experimentation already. This is what learning is all about. I am sorry but trumpet players and cornetists, too all get tied up in the perfect combination of bell, lead pipe, mp, etc. You are the instrumentalist. You are responsible for the sound, and also the instrument. Its kind of like the advice Lauren Bacall gave Humphrey Bogart in the movies. "You just put your lips on it, and blow!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: